Can I shoot a bolt action?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of going to an appleseed shoot with my son. I have a 10/22 and a Mossberg bolt action. I'd like him to use the 10/22. Can I get by with my trusty old Mossberg bolt? I can light a match with it at 75 yards.

Bolt guns are fine... is it mag fed? If you have mags to hold 40 rounds you'll be fine, if not you may run into problems trying to get your rifleman patch since the course of fire we use for the AQT consists of 40 rounds in 4 minutes.

Yeah, TOMINCT only shoots bolt guns too. Just make sure you have enough mags for 40 rounds and it'll be fine.

Even if you can't shoot it fast enough to make rifleman, you'll learn a ton of great information.

don't hesitate to join us!

Mr. Twigg told me he shot a Rifleman's score with his old Commie bolt gun!

Before folks think I did this with a Mosin...

It was a .22lr TOZ-78, which is now being sold stateside as the Winchester Wildcat.

Not a bad rifle by any means IMHO. [smile]

One of the first Appleseeds I was instructing at I saw a left handed kid earn his RIFLEMAN badge shooting a right handed bolt .22.

It can be done. One shot every six seconds will do it.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I only have one mag. It may be cheaper to buy a new rifle than find three or four more mags.

There are a bunch of us out here who have rifles that are customized and would work great for Appleseed that we would offer for you to use. Where do you live?

10/22 is a good rifle with the right upgrades. The marlin 795 is another good one for appleseed and doesn't need upgrades to be useable and is a little cheaper... mags tend to cost more though. If I were looking for a new 22 for an appleseed it would be one of those two, though there might be others that can perform well enough.

Not having a suitable rifle or enough magazines (for 10/22's anyway) shouldn't stop anyone from attending an Appleseed. Many instructors will bring at least one rifle. I usually bring my Ruger and the TOZ. I know of one instructor who brings several .22's and at least one AR. If anyone needs a loaner, all we ask is you pay for the ammo. [smile]

One of the first Appleseeds I was instructing at I saw a left handed kid earn his RIFLEMAN badge shooting a right handed bolt .22.

It can be done. One shot every six seconds will do it.

I was going to post about him - that kid was like a machine!! What was he, 12? Just amazing.

Suttonwood, what model is your Mossberg? It's very possible that Brownells or MidwayUSA has mags for it.

I have an older Marlin that I believe is a 795 (it' at my Dad's, and I am not sure of model) and it's very accurate, more so than the 10/22 that I had. Built very similar to the 10/22, but seems to fit me a lot better and balances well. I can hit a 2" steel spinner at 75yds all day long offhand. Either of the two should do very well. More a matter of what you like more and what you want to do for mods. If you plan to modify it heavily, a 10/22 may be the way to go. If you plan to shoot as-is, the Marlin would get my vote. I also like the slimmer mags a bit better than the Ruger's block mags, and they are easier to change as well.

I have an older Marlin that I believe is a 795 (it' at my Dad's, and I am not sure of model) and it's very accurate, more so than the 10/22 that I had. Built very similar to the 10/22, but seems to fit me a lot better and balances well. I can hit a 2" steel spinner at 75yds all day long offhand. Either of the two should do very well. More a matter of what you like more and what you want to do for mods. If you plan to modify it heavily, a 10/22 may be the way to go. If you plan to shoot as-is, the Marlin would get my vote. I also like the slimmer mags a bit better than the Ruger's block mags, and they are easier to change as well.

Here ya go: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=171532 Looks like the mags are $25 each, or $23 each if you have a C&R. Bit more expensive than the 10/22 but if you're that in tune with the rifle, I'd say get the mags and a sling and you're set.

This video shows the groups and scores:

http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/279486

That is freaking amazing. Norway, of all places, holds rifle marksmanship in the same regard we hold freaking baseball.

I also dig their technique of keeping the index and thumb on the bolt at all time and pressing the trigger with the middle finger. Wicked fast. If I was still shooting XTC, I'd definitely work to master that style.

Here ya go: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=171532 Looks like the mags are $25 each, or $23 each if you have a C&R. Bit more expensive than the 10/22 but if you're that in tune with the rifle, I'd say get the mags and a sling and you're set.

I actually got the rifle from my Dad's today, it's a Marlin 70HC, and it has a Bushnell 3-7x scope on it. I know it's not the same as with irons at all, and I do miss a bit. I probably have an 80% hit rate on the spinner (which I measured at 2.5") at 75yds, maybe less now as I haven't shot it since last year. The statement was more about the rifle being accurate than my own ability, as I am no high-master by any stretch of the imagination. I am a decent shot at best, but the rifle is damn accurate, and that helps a lot. Sorry if I mislead anyone.

I actually got the rifle from my Dad's today, it's a Marlin 70HC, and it has a Bushnell 3-7x scope on it.
Well, if it takes the same mags as a Papoose (Model 70PSS)... http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=242826

I know it's not the same as with irons at all, and I do miss a bit. I probably have an 80% hit rate on the spinner (which I measured at 2.5") at 75yds, maybe less now as I haven't shot it since last year. The statement was more about the rifle being accurate than my own ability, as I am no high-master by any stretch of the imagination. I am a decent shot at best, but the rifle is damn accurate, and that helps a lot. Sorry if I mislead anyone.

Well... it helps a little. The rifle won't do a damned thing by itself; YOU are the one controlling it. If you don't do your part, the rifle will miss every time.

Bolt action for Appleseed?

Just ask Anders, Brian or Nathan, they all prefer bolt guns, and all 3 are Appleseed Instructors or IIT's. They've all done it, and Anders and Brian are actually FASTER that most guys with semi-autos. For those of you that were at Harvard on 4/19 weekend last year, Anders is the then 13 year old IIT. Left handed, shooting a CZ. He also was at Bennington in 2008, first time we were there (FWIW, there were 2 bolt guns there that weekend, Anders and Nathan). I'll wager that is who Twigg and Dwarven were referring to. Jise, that lad now lives over your way. His Appleseed user name is something like "1 shot zero", named for picking up a strange M1 (as in not his own M1), firing 1 sighter at 25 (and calling it a good shot), making a sight correction, doing the come ups to go from 200 to 500, and getting a first shot hit at 500.

Also, bear in mind, the Army Qualification course the program is adapted from was never designed for the M1. It was designed for the 1903 Springfield.

And, I'll add that I am also a big fan of bolt guns. But, I still prefer my Winchester, it's an M1 Garand.

If anyone wants to understand the superiority of bolt guns, go look at the history of the NRA Highpower Rifle National Championship since 1994 (the year ARs made it to the big time). It will show ONE national win by an AR shooter and 15 wins by bolt action rifle shooters.

in all fairness, jose, with shooters of equal talent, the match rifle will nearly ALWAYS win.

AR's (service rifle config) are limited to .223, post/aperature, shorter sight radius, and ergonomics that arent perfect for everyone.

match rifles are usually chambered in calibers FAR superior for long range shooting (ie 6BR/6XC), $800 gehmann/anshutz sights, and stocks that are custom tailored to the shooter (and you're allowed those bigass slings!)

can a service rifle beat a match rifle? oh hell yes. the SR shooter typically has to work a bit harder at it though

(FWIW, i shoot a service rifle)

one of these days i'm gonna stop by one of these appleseed. i've got a CLE .22 upper for my service rifle that'll take the rocks off a squirrel @ 50yards.

Guys... can we get back to discussing APPLESEED here in the Appleseed sub-forum?

And Jasper? You're welcome to show up at any shoot. We have one in Leyden, MA on May 22-23 and Harvard on July 17-18. Plenty of room to still sign up. (and I will repeat... your CLE upper cannot do SQUAT without the loose nut behind the trigger. If YOU can circumcise that squirrel, you can do it with ANY rack grade rifle.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom