• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

can someone teach me about mauser k98's

With mil surp rifles like the mauser k98 relatively cheaper than a 1903 or m1 garand.
Preface:
I dont know much about it ,

What are all the markings and what should you look for when buying a shooter grade mauser

Reading the other two threads on it as we speak..

will be looking into russian captured or a mismatched bolt K98 that i can shoot

If your looking for a shooter look into finding one with a nice bore and crown. Matching bolts would be nice .
If you must have a German K98 they are out there but even one in nice shooting condition won't much cheaper than a M1 garand.... M1 can still be had for $630 for a field grade and $730 service graded shipped.

There are mauser variants that make great shooters.

If you ever want to start seriously collecting them, start spending time on K98kforum.com and the K98 sub forum of Gunboards. Most all the guys on there are good knowledgeable dudes that wont steer you wrong. Also buy a few books.
k98's are by far the most faked milsurplus rifles out there. And the fakes starting to get pretty damn hard to tell apart from the real deal unless you really know what to look for

Prices can range from
$300-$550+ for Russian Captured
$600-1000+ for a bolt M/M
$1000-2500+ for a true matching piece
but I've seen some go for 3k depending on condition, rarity of year, code etc.

pS: don't waste your money on a Mitchels Mauser.

Last edited:
If you ever want to start seriously collecting them, start spending time on K98kforum.com and the K98 sub forum of Gunboards. Most all the guys on there are good knowledgeable dudes that wont steer you wrong. Also buy a few books.
k98's are by far the most faked milsurplus rifles out there. And the fakes starting to get pretty damn hard to tell apart from the real deal unless you really know what to look for

Prices can range from
$300-$550+ for Russian Captured
$600-1000+ for a bolt M/M
$1000-2500+ for a true matching piece
but I've seen some go for 3k depending on condition, rarity of year, code etc.

pS: don't waste your money on a Mitchels Mauser.

Don't discount aMitchell if your looking for shooter....just don't over pay. Few guys at the club have them and they are very nice and shoot very well. Just don't over pay.

There are Yugoslavian models popping up again here and there. Both from distributors and dealers at shows. IMO they're a great way to get introduced to Mauser type rifles.

Don't discount aMitchell if your looking for shooter....just don't over pay. Few guys at the club have them and they are very nice and shoot very well. Just don't over pay.
If you can get a Mitchell for like $150-200, then I guess. Other than being a nice shooter they are basically a k98 in form only at that point. You can get yourself a nice RC or an entry Bolt M/M that'll at least have historical significance and original stamping for the same price Mitchells was selling for.

There are Yugoslavian models popping up again here and there. Both from distributors and dealers at shows. IMO they're a great way to get introduced to Mauser type rifles.

The Yugos are pretty much VZ-24 based, either were VZ-24's, rebuilt/based off VZ-24's or designed from VZ-24 type specifications.

Now, I can tell you that the VZ-24 is one of the better 98 Mauser types out there.

Back
Top Bottom