Canning classes

So what exactly is the point or need of using a pressure cooker to do it?

The water bath, by it's nature, can only heat the food being canned up to around 212 degrees (a.k.a. boiling point). Not all bacteria are killed at boiling, some of them are pretty tough little buggers. By using a pressure chamber, you can increase the heat beyond the boiling point and kill those bacteria as well. You can get away with water bath when canning higher acid foods and such because those more heat resistant bacteria can't take the higher acid, so they're not in the food to begin with.

Seems like moderate interest. I have 2 who can make it the date I specified and 2 that can't. Going to see if I can find a better day to get everyone happy:

July 27th, August 2th, August 3rd, August 9th, August 10th

If you want to just be around when I can I can try to let you know when I'm canning something, but my guess is that I'll probably try to can something at least once a weekend for July/August/September.

This time of year I stay pretty busy canning my own food for the next year, but if you were going to put something together in the fall/winter and you had a large enough turn-out I would be willing to offer my equipment and time to help you with the class.

Bump to find more interest... trying to find a date that works for everyone:

July 13th, July 27th, August 2th, August 3rd, August 9th, August 10th

Let me know which of the above work for you if you are interested.

I just got the Blue Book yesterday, and am anxiously waiting for my new pressure canner (ordered last week). I have my grandmas old water bath canner, but I'm not schooled in its use, and I'd feel more comfortable using the pressure method, b/c I'll be preserving a lot of meat. I wish I could be there for the class, but I'll have to try it solo.

[grin] I'll keep you posted on how much damage I do.

Canning's really easy I told a friend of mine I was going to do a class and she was like "What do you need a class for, it's all in the blue book"

I just got the Blue Book yesterday, and am anxiously waiting for my new pressure canner (ordered last week). I have my grandmas old water bath canner, but I'm not schooled in its use, and I'd feel more comfortable using the pressure method, b/c I'll be preserving a lot of meat. I wish I could be there for the class, but I'll have to try it solo.

[grin] I'll keep you posted on how much damage I do.

Ana,
If you want to learn ANYTHING about canning, or have any questions what so ever there is no better place on the net than http://mrssurvival.com/ The ladies over there know everything there is to know, and are quick to help and teach. That's where I went when I first started canning. A truly great group of people over there.

Thanks for the link, Adam! [smile]

Ana,
If you want to learn ANYTHING about canning, or have any questions what so ever there is no better place on the net than http://mrssurvival.com/ The ladies over there know everything there is to know, and are quick to help and teach. That's where I went when I first started canning. A truly great group of people over there.

Adam sent me there also, and they are a tremendous amount of info there and a really nice bunch. I believe I go by Mrs Wildweasel there also. I haven't posted much there but I do read alot there.
As far as water bath canning, read through the recipes in the ball blue book,it will tell you everything you need to know. What can and can't be water bathed and the times etc.
Also if we can help you out let us know. It really isn't that hard, and we have been enjoying canning alot.
I'm venturing out into other things also, like making my own sauerkraut and canning it, same with pickles, and you will find the taste is way better than anything you can buy in the store.
Good luck.

Ana,

Now are there single women from NH on the forum looking for a gun and survivlist nut for a boyfriend, boytoy, or other type of S.O.?

Back
Top Bottom