• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cast Bullet Seminar Feeler

Summer or Fall?

• Summer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fall

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Either

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
333B6D41-8947-483E-86B5-84D580C6A6EA.jpeg FB80EAB9-981A-4280-92EC-2053A1C4FD95.jpeg FDAFC56C-5CEE-4601-84A9-EF18FD29653E.jpeg 18C9BF1A-C8BE-4C86-A718-FB27B28238DB.jpeg Alright guys and gals.
When should we do the next one?
Summer or Fall?

I’m thinking this time around I’ll do almost all the smelting ahead of time so all we need to do is smelt up a small batch of weights to show how’s it done and not waste time.
More time casting/sizing/lubing/paper patching.

For those that have not read about this or may be new here.

We basically spend a day going from scrap lead to ingot to as cast bullets to finished sized/coated/lubed bullets ready to load.
Explanations of how to and why to. All of the tools and accessories on premises for hands on learning.

Cast lead is cheap. It’s accurate. It can do a lot more than what most people think. Great for hunting. Can be pushed to rifle velocities with accuracy. Can be wrapped in a paper jacket and pushed 3000 FPS without leading. Can be shot in polygonal rifling with no issues.
Can be coated with the same coating(hi tek) that the big commercial guys use (bayou, SNS, gateway) and be treated like a plated bullet at that point.

Once you start asking around for scrap lead it starts appearing at your door. Basically free.
Take the most expensive component out of reloading.
1000 45 acp cartridges

1000 primers $ 32
$25 pound of powder at 5 grains each. $17
Free lead
Smidgen of electric
Tiny bit of propane
Little bit of bullet lube

Say $55 for 1000 cartridges.
Say you had to pay a dollar a pound for lead. That’s only another $29 for 1000 each 200 grain bullets.
So $84 for 1000 cartridges. Then you save on that tiny bit of propane for not smelting.

So let’s get the feelers out there and see who wants to take the next step in reloading.

If anyone has a question as to what cast lead bullets can or cannot do. What styles of bullets can be made. What cartridges they play well with or the ever popular health concerns please ask away.

as i have done in the past i will offer up some donations of raw lead and maybe a participant of the seminar Karma of some tin solder bars.
as noted above once you start some connections lead does flow well. Find some guys at the clubs that like to trade. I have a good trade of brass i dont need or want for lead. we do a "scrap value" trade. works out for everyone. I even found a buyer for my zinc wheel weights

Any thoughts on powder coating?
Would love to go again just to get more info on HiTek and/or powder coating

Probably same cost as last year. Like $30 and you leave with 20 pounds of alloy.

We can go over powder coat but it’s not really as good as hi-tek.

The hi-tek is so easy and fool proof. PC melts when it gets hot. It’s how it works. That’s not cool with hot gasses and your hot barrel IMHO

We can spent more time casting and coating this time and maybe 30 minutes or so on smelting.

once you get a "sign up thread" going I will have a "lead" karma for those interested.
I have a good amount of raw materials and pre smelted stuff also. Figure I will give up a few lbs total for someone to get started. When a einner is picked they are going to have to pick it up in hanover ma

on aug 12th I will be running my cast loads out of my 1903a3 at a cmp match.

So far I have a 60/40 bar of solder , few pounds of pre smelted clip on wheel weights and a few pounds of unsorted wheel weights for the karma for the noobs

In anticipation of the seminar, and casting of course, I picked up a bunch of smellted wheel weights. More than I will ever need. I am willing to donate some either for the class or another door prize. Let me know.

I'd like to come by and hang out again. I'll bring any extra equipment we might need for casting and coating. I also have a really fun mold for anyone that has a s&w 500, who wants to cast some 700gr. hollow points?

I'm very interested. I have allot of the tools and molds already. Just lack knowledge to start. I look forward to a date and location.
Thanks!

I'm very interested. I have allot of the tools and molds already. Just lack knowledge to start. I look forward to a date and location.
Thanks!

I need to warn you, once you start it's very addicting. Before you know it you'll end up with a bullet making factory in your garage/shed/driveway.

Back
Top Bottom