Clubs NOT run by Fudds

I went to the BRP site. Great to hear they are supporting the 2A in Mass. But looks like Fuddville. Anyone have an opinion?

Specifically what looks "Fuddville"? [This is an honest question and I'll answer whatever questions you have to the best of my ability.]

The BR&P rules aren't changed often and there have been some changes communicated to those ROs that attend our RO meetings monthly. Word may not get out to everyone if they don't bother to attend meetings however but a quick call to the CRO when there is a question can resolve almost everything.

There have been a few changes to the rules that aren't documented anywhere (perhaps other than NES [wink]):

- Some restrictions have been lifted on use of shotguns on the rifle range.
- Use of clay pigeons on a vertical target holder on the outdoor ranges got the OK from the CRO.

The only FUDD rule that I see (just went thru the online rule-book) is one that I was unaware of until recently (as I've never shot trap at BR&P) and that is the Noon restriction every day of the week. I was told that the club president put that in place so the sleepy heads in the condos beside the trap range wouldn't be awakened before Noon! We can still shoot CF rifle on the rifle range from 10AM onward (except Sundays & Holidays, Noon rule).

Specifically what looks "Fuddville"? [This is an honest question and I'll answer whatever questions you have to the best of my ability.

Len S, thank you for jumping in. I sincerely put the question out there because the web site is heavily oriented toward bullseye and shotgun shooting sports - which are awesome sports I enjoy as well. But when a club is heavily oriented in that direction (and I am NOT saying whether BRP is), it tends to indicate fudd-ville. Combine that with an initial swath of photos showing mostly older shooters (I am NOT saying all older shooters are fudds; my mentor is almost 70 and has done everything legal with a gun and I aspire to be him - FUDD is a state of mind) and with rifles and I was left with an impression of a likelihood of FUDD city. So please take this as sincere feedback of an ignorant person based on first impressions from the site.

Does the club allow drawing from a holster and firing? Does the club allow speed shooting so long as one can keep the shots on paper (meaning, no minimum time requirement between shots)? Does the club have any loaded-round-count rules?

Thank you for answering.

Last edited:
Taking a roll call - what clubs in Mass and southern NH are NOT run by Fudds? Of course those other than HSC which is a gift to shooters IMHO.

All you have to do is read the rules of any given club, maybe show up and talk to a few people and you'll know in about 10 minutes whether or not you're dealing with fudds. To start try to stay outside of the 128 loop and things get a lot better.

-Mike

Combine that with an initial swath of photos showing mostly older shootersThank you for answering.

My wife and I joke with each other that they need to hire some young models holding rifles for their website. Some of the guys featured on the website look like death walking which isn't really good for attracting new (see: younger) members. Although in person all the older members and RO's I've encountered have been nice and helpful.

I wouldn't say its very "fuddy" myself. Of the questions you asked at the end, I don't believe you can draw from a holster and fire. But there is no limit on time between shots (if there was I would've been called out on that by now!) or round count rules that I know of.

Some of the guys featured on the website look like death walking ...

OMG, you know exactly what I am saying. I just laughed so hard I peed myself.

I wouldn't say its very "fuddy" myself. Of the questions you asked at the end, I don't believe you can draw from a holster and fire. But there is no limit on time between shots (if there was I would've been called out on that by now!) or round count rules that I know of.

Thanks, D. Helpful information.

Len S, thank you for jumping in. I sincerely put the question out there because the web site is heavily oriented toward bullseye and shotgun shooting sports - which are awesome sports I enjoy as well. But when a club is heavily oriented in that direction (and I am NOT saying whether BRP is), it tends to indicate fudd-ville. Combine that with an initial swath of photos showing mostly older shooters (I am NOT saying all older shooters are fudds; my mentor is almost 70 and has done everything legal with a gun and I aspire to be him - FUDD is a state of mind) and with rifles and I was left with an impression of a likelihood of FUDD city. So please take this as sincere feedback of an ignorant person based on first impressions from the site.

Does the club allow drawing from a holster and firing? Does the club allow speed shooting so long as one can keep the shots on paper (meaning, no minimum time requirement between shots)? Does the club have any loaded-round-count rules?

Thank you for answering.

The webmaster takes all/most of the pictures and they seem to be former officers of the club and indeed are old-timers. There are tons of young (20s-30s) members but most of them aren't "active", they just come, shoot and go home as they typically are raising families, trying to establish their careers and just don't have the time to hang around and get active. Our "young model" (Nicole) not only left the club but also left the state (good for her)! [I will pass the word to the webmaster/photographer about getting some younger folks in the pictures. It's a good idea, thanks.]

What keeps a club "active"? It is the "shooting sports" and that includes pistol and rifle teams, juniors programs, etc. And in that vein BR&P is miles ahead of probably every other club in MA. They also sponsor Second Amendment Sisters, a collectors group, Ancient & Honorables Artillery Company (not all are ancient [laugh]), they supported Wentworth's rifle team until Wentworth recently disbanded the program, they supported a regional handicapped shoot (I think the group disbanded), etc. None of these groups pay a dime to use the facilities. I've belonged to 4 clubs over the years and yes I have seen where my first club pitted one activity against everyone else. I have NEVER seen this at BR&P and I've attended almost every meeting since I joined in 1999.

At BR&P you will see a lot of open carry and nobody says a word (members at my first club used to give me shit about it), CMP matches with some OC'g a pistol on their hips, etc. You will see a wide range of members by age, sex, race, culture, etc. It's a true melting pot. Members regularly bring their SO and children to shoot (see comment below about our ONE A-hole RO) and enjoy the facilities.

No, BR&P does not allow drawing from the holster. It's your typical square range with rules accordingly. There is no rule about speed shooting/number of rounds, if you can keep them on the paper our CRO has ruled that you are fine. There is ONE A-hole RO that will give anyone shit for "shooting fast", members children being "too young" (no such rule), etc. He's been told but he's set in his ways. When he's on duty I will NOT shoot outdoors, I just won't deal with the guy.

If Mansfield isn't too far out of the way for you, MF&G allows shooting on the move, drawing from the holster, shooting at any distance (on the 50 yd range), shooting shotguns (defensive), etc. That's the specific reason why I joined it as my second club. The downside is that there are absolutely NO indoor facilities but the outdoor ranges are very nice.

All you have to do is read the rules of any given club, maybe show up and talk to a few people and you'll know in about 10 minutes whether or not you're dealing with fudds. To start try to stay outside of the 128 loop and things get a lot better.

-Mike

This is indeed the best way. If daddybld wants a tour and to shoot as my guest, I'll be happy to meet him at BR&P at a mutually convenient time. He can see for himself what the place is like.

Mike, when you live in/around Quincy/Braintree, traveling to outside of Rte. 128 to shoot is a long trip (traffic issues more than miles) and thus people are very unlikely to shoot often.

My wife and I joke with each other that they need to hire some young models holding rifles for their website. Some of the guys featured on the website look like death walking which isn't really good for attracting new (see: younger) members. Although in person all the older members and RO's I've encountered have been nice and helpful.

See my comment above about our former "young model". I agree and will pass that on.

HSA. I'm loving the outdoor pistol bays with the steel targets :D I was out yesterday in the freezing cold.

And I'm definitely excited to check out the trap/skeet/whatever they are stations I found out in the woods during deer season.

Those would be our Sporting Clays machines. We run that course any Sunday that I can gather a group of 4 or more shooters to go out. There are 8 stations total and it is a "blast" to shoot.

How much is Hopkinton per year?

Regular club member dues are $125 per year, with a $100 initiation fee. There is a work assessment of $50 per year or 5 hours per year. (Attending a membership meeting counts as 1 hour) Details can all be found here. http://www.hsasports.com/

Membership has grown by leaps and bounds over the past several years and there is talk of limiting it soon and starting a waiting list.

I would like to join a club near the Middleboro /lakeville area. Any suggestions or possible sponsors? Thanks Jason

You might check out Sippican R&G in Rochester. SKS Ray is a member there and can answer any questions for you.

i always look for USPSA/IPSC or IDPA action pits to determine the FUDDery...

Action pits are rare as hen's teeth South of Boston. Lack of them is more a reflection on how close houses are than FUDDery IMNSHO.

Mansfield F&G used to run Cowboy Shoots years ago and I think that is the reason that they are so open to defensive tactics shooting even though there are no action pits.

They are smack in between 93 and 128 and there was still a stray bullet that landed onto 128. So now you need qualifications for the outdoor rifle ranges and for the 100/200yd range you shoot through long tubes right next to the benches. And on the other outdoor range (50yd), there are shots all over the baffel! How the **** do you manage to be that off. [rolleyes]

precisely. I've never had a bad experience there, and I've been an active member since the mid 90's. It's just idiots that force the club to have certain rules and the outdoor qualifications.

Unfortunately, mine is heavy into FUDDery. We are starting a range use committee this week, and I'm going to be volunteering to be the range officer for 2013. Getting involved is the only way to get things to change.....

Well done Sir! Too bad there aren't allot more guys like you willing to get involved. Most clubs struggle to keep a full BOD /Committee membership because most members would rather complain that act!

steel core ruins/destroys AR500 plates. if you're only shooting into dirt, who cares? But don't ruin your club's steel plates unless you plan on paying for new ones.

Steel core is also much more prone to ricochet since it doesn't dissipate energy through deformation.

As far as I know the steel core prohibition at hopkinton is due to ricochet possibilities of skipping one over the berm. I believe there was an incident at another local club that prompted the rule.

Good point, what many folks don't get is that many club rules are designed to keep the club open and out of court. In today society, all it takes is one accident and your club could get closed down and sued to ruin. FUDDs can serve a purpose to keep the gravel pit mentality in check.

There are a couple of rules that are on the books but ignored almost totally (I know of only one RO that is likely to bitch about this one) and this is one of them. Also the only 1 guest at a time rule can be easily over-ridden by sending an Email to the CRO and he will grant permission by Email for multiple guests (only use 1 shooting position when busy however). Keep in mind that immediate family are "permanent guests" and neither of the above rules apply to them.

I didn't see anything regarding "permanent guests" on their website the last time I looked. Most of my guests are family that don't own guns, but love shooting mine one or two times a year.

The next orientation is March 10th... That is 2.5 months out and that wait seems pretty crazy to me. Any chance you could help improve that date?

Good point, what many folks don't get is that many club rules are designed to keep the club open and out of court. In today society, all it takes is one accident and your club could get closed down and sued to ruin. FUDDs can serve a purpose to keep the gravel pit mentality in check.

100%. Everybody thinks they can shoot the nuts off a fly at 500yds, or can do a "Tac-dump" of 15 rds out of their glock at a torso target, but I think we've all seen the reality. My range (Scarborough Fish & Game) has a ton of rules, but we are surrounded by housing subdivisions and shopping malls. One round leaves that range and we are done.
Actually, not so much that we have a ton of rules, just a non-tolerance for unsafe behavior.

North Grafton isn't too Fudd. I don't think anyone on the BOD hunts. It's paper targets only and the cameras looking over your shoulder are overkill. They do some interesting shoots over the course of the year... Bowling pin, running felon, running deer, 150yd steel plate etc. Membership is capped and last I knew there was a waiting list.

100%. Everybody thinks they can shoot the nuts off a fly at 500yds, or can do a "Tac-dump" of 15 rds out of their glock at a torso target, but I think we've all seen the reality. My range (Scarborough Fish & Game) has a ton of rules, but we are surrounded by housing subdivisions and shopping malls. One round leaves that range and we are done.
Actually, not so much that we have a ton of rules, just a non-tolerance for unsafe behavior.

Is this the same scarborough at scarfg.org with links to photos such as this: https://plus.google.com/photos/1052...uthkey=CJqGlevQwozQswE&banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1

Which held the July 2012 NE High power Regionals? If it is, please notice the lack of "no blue sky" baffles, and the gentleman in COMPLETELY TECHED OUT Long range gear's muzzle position in the middle of the photos. Is this the place with lots of rules, and no "no blue sky" baffles on a long range course? Yet worried about putting one off property?

Or perhaps it is the same club with UBELIEVABLY AWESOME trap fields, that have people violating Rule #1 and pointing shotgun muzzles at body parts on a regular basis?

Even if it is not, my point is this FUDS come up with bassackwards solutions to often nonexistent problems. Then justify their existence with the same excuse - but for us we might get closed down.

Last edited:
Anyone have any insight into Pelham Fish & Game? I hear they allow drawing from a holster and possibly shooting on the move. They are a little far from me but if the facility is as good as I've heard it might be worth joining.

Anyone have any insight into Pelham Fish & Game? I hear they allow drawing from a holster and possibly shooting on the move. They are a little far from me but if the facility is as good as I've heard it might be worth joining.

I am not a member of Pelham but I frequent there a few times a year. The guys from NEshooters are from there. STELLAR facilities and seems to be a very pro-shooter place. I love going there.

I am not a member of Pelham but I frequent there a few times a year. The guys from NEshooters are from there. STELLAR facilities and seems to be a very pro-shooter place. I love going there.

I am a member, as Daddy said, great facilities, four open pits (action ranges) where drawing from holster is specifically allowed. 600ac, trap, IDPA, archery, 200M silhouette range (which you have to qualify for). $190/yr, $40 work fee for 1st yr only (work it off once, done) $100 initiation fee.

And it's 8 minutes from my house!

I didn't see anything regarding "permanent guests" on their website the last time I looked. Most of my guests are family that don't own guns, but love shooting mine one or two times a year.

The next orientation is March 10th... That is 2.5 months out and that wait seems pretty crazy to me. Any chance you could help improve that date?

Permanent guests (immediate family . . . not the same as kissing cousins [laugh]) is not a documented rule.

I have nothing to do with the orientations, but we just bought 100 more chairs. There was 175 signed up for the January & IIRC ~145 for February! Someone else in another thread suggested just showing up. Don't know if that will work, but you might give it a try. ~1/3 usually don't show up after reserving a spot at the orientation.

North Grafton isn't too Fudd. I don't think anyone on the BOD hunts. It's paper targets only and the cameras looking over your shoulder are overkill. They do some interesting shoots over the course of the year... Bowling pin, running felon, running deer, 150yd steel plate etc. Membership is capped and last I knew there was a waiting list.

Cool! you ought to run them every week. We have an overabundance of felons, so target supply shouldn't be a problem! Worst case I'm sure that Boston and Brockton could throw in a few if you run out in your area. [rofl] [laugh2]

Back
Top Bottom