Clubs on the North Shore of MA

I've been considering joining one of two clubs on the north shore. One is the Hamilton & Wenham Rod and Gun Club, and the other is the Cape Ann Sportsman's Club (in Gloucester). Both have indoor handgun ranges and outdoor 50 and 100 yard ranges. The Hamilton club is closer to home, but the Cape Ann club seems friendlier. Any thoughts on these two clubs?

Also, does anyone know of any 300, 500 or 1000 yard ranges in northwest Massachusetts or southern New Hampshire?

Thanks!

Norman Kraft

Reading has a 600yd range. Not sure that anything else that long exists in NorthEAST MA. If you're looking at Hamilton-Wenham or Gloucester, I'm not sure that you want to know about Greenfield and Deerfield?? Do you? Or was that a typo?

Reading has a 600yd range. Not sure that anything else that long exists in NorthEAST MA. If you're looking at Hamilton-Wenham or Gloucester, I'm not sure that you want to know about Greenfield and Deerfield?? Do you? Or was that a typo?

Actually, the longer range shooting question was a separate question from the gun clubs I'm looking at on the north shore. And yes, it was a typo when I wrote "northwest Massachusetts." I meant northeastern Masschusetts.

I'm originally from California, where I had access to a 1000 yard range (with markers at 300 and 500). It was a fun type of shooting that I dont' know if I can do here in the northeast.

Thanks for the Reading reference, though. It's not that far away for the occasional long range practice. The local clubs, on the other hand, will get a great deal more of my time for other shooting if I can gain membership to one of them.

So far, from the feedback I've received, the Hamilton-Wenham club seems to be more oriented toward hunting, with skeet, black powder and archery ranges. The Cape Ann club seems to be more of a straight shooting club. Does that match up with the collected experience here?

Norm.

Due to the congestion of houses and industry along with nothing higher than a mole-hill for "mountains" in MA, you don't find any real long range shooting facilities.

As for clubs, we have >200 of them in the state. Go to www.goal.org and you can find a listing of only the GOAL affiliated clubs. There are probably 1/2 again as many or more that have no affiliation with GOAL.

You will find nothing more than a handful of "defensive tactics allowed" clubs in MA. Most are mainly skeet/trap or pistol (bullseye) oriented and usually they give short shrift to any other of the shooting sports. At least this has been my experience in the 31 years I've been shooting (and I've been a member of 4 clubs and a frequent guest at 2 others).

If you are worried about getting sponsored, just pipe up here and you can find folks that will help you out. Likewise if you are looking for specific info on a facility.

You will find nothing more than a handful of "defensive tactics allowed" clubs in MA. Most are mainly skeet/trap or pistol (bullseye) oriented and usually they give short shrift to any other of the shooting sports. At least this has been my experience in the 31 years I've been shooting (and I've been a member of 4 clubs and a frequent guest at 2 others).

I've shot at ranges in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada, and found very few that would allow any sort of defensive tactics practice except on days dedicated to practical shooting. Years ago I did a four day training at the Gunsite Ranch in Arizona, and from what I saw on the first day from the non-LEO folk there, I can understand why ranges are a bit shy about it.

I'm not really looking for that here on the north shore. I just need somewhere to keep up a routine of regular practice, and memberships seem to help keep range costs down.

Norm

I'm in the same boat. Looking for a club to join that provides the broadest environment. I want to shoot pistol and rifle. I'm also from the northshore and have been considering 3 clubs close to me...Andover Sportsmans Club (with archery, black powder, skeet, rifle outdoors, pistol and rifle 22lr both indoors and outdoors), Woburn Sportsmans Club with similar ranges but it seems they have their indoor range tied up alomost every evening with air pistol, regular pistol and other league activities, finally Danver Fish and Game Club. Danvers is the one closest as I live in Peabody but also the one I know the least about, they have no website and I've never heard of an open house or a period they are open to the public at all. I guess if you don't know a member, there is not a high probability of even finding out if you want to join never mind joining. I'm leaning toward Andover and would appreciate any input from members encouraging or disuading me.

Thanks

Carguy et al. I have been a member of the Danvers F&G Club for 35 years or so, past president etc. We keep a low profile. Have just under 80 acres. Some of the facilities on the property are: Indoor Archery; indoor 50 foot pistol (all cals EXCEPT Magnums due to noise) & .22 rifle range; Outdoor Archery; Primitive BP range; pin & plate range; outdoor pistol & rifle range to 100 yards; doubles trap and doubles skeet ranges. This is NOT a key card club as ranges require that an RO be on duty. This is usually not a problem altho evening use of indoor range for casual shooting is limited to Sunday and Monday nights due to other scheduled events.

Membership will be open in April which will get you 15 months for the regular 12 month fee ($125 dues plus $150 initiation fee).

Contact me direct at dhd45-at-comcast-dot-net if further info is required. I am generally on the indoor range Sunday mornings. Also, our monthly general meeting is the Second Thursday, which is tomorrow. If you want to come, drop in around seven p.m. and ask for Dave Daniels.

Back
Top Bottom