• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Collectors Guns, Stoneham, MA

The Goose

NES Member
This is my first real post after my introduction. Collectors Guns on Hancock St. in Stoneham, MA is on the same block as my business so I tend to spend a lot of time there. Personally I think it is a great little shop. Prices are competitive with AG or Four Seasons. I usually find that on any given day or on a given gun that any of the three shops may have good deals or one may be higher or lower on a particular item. Lately Collectors Guns has had a good selection of factory refurbished Glocks with hi-caps. Obviously the stock fluctuates, but you can check out their website for current updates (usually weekly). Over the last few months I have picked up a G17 with hi-caps, G31 w/hi-caps and a really great G29. I frequent several shops and have no particular loyalty, but I did not see Collectors Guns on the review list and thought I would add it.

I went there in January. I hadn't been there in years when it was the original placed that burned down. Anyway, I loved the rifle loft. Tons of old rifles, commercial and military (my fav). But was just lookin'.
Jon

I probably will get a chance to stop by Collector's and Four Seasons this coming week. I will probably be serving some Summons & Complaints up in that general area, so it's a good excuse to make a stop at both places.

And if there's time after next Saturdays clinic in Reading, I just must have to stop in Stoneham again. Hmmm or maybe FS or both [wink]
Jon

Went to Stoneham Saturday

I really don't mean this as a knock on FS, but Collector's has a lot more room and you're not falling over everbody. For me at least it makes for a more relaxed shopping experience. I guess I'm borderling claustrophobic

Many years ago, I went to the Collectors Coin Gallery with an individual who just got his LTC (pre A/B days), and he picked out a Colt 1911 he wanted. As part of the final pre-purchase inspection, I wished to field (not detail) strip it to look for excessive tool marks - a not unheard of problem with new firearms.

The conversation went something like this:

Me: I'd like to check this gun for internal tool marks. May I detail strip it or would you prefer to do it?

CCG: That gun's not getting field stripped until it's paid for.

Me: What if we discover a big ugly tool mark inside right after buying it?

CCG: Sir, at that point you will own the gun and we will not. It will be between you and the manufacturer. We will not allow you to return or exchange it.

Me: Even if I discover the tool mark right here in the shop?

CCG: Yes, that's the way it works.

I haven't been back since.

Two comments here:

- Four Seasons moved in the past year to a new location across the hall from the prior shop. LOTS more walking space in the new store. The few times I've been there since the move, nobody is tripping over other people, even though it is still very busy with sales transactions. Layout is 1000% better (more efficient for both customers and salespeople) in their new location.

- Collectors changed ownership some years ago. I think it might have been around the time of the 1998 legislative disaster. From Rob's post, he may well have been dealing with the prior owners, not the current ones. I had heard stories about the prior owner's personality. I'd say that your experience would surprise me if it was from the current owners. Also, realize that with a gun purchase there is Fed and State paperwork that gets filed with EVERY TRANSFER, so it is cumbersome at best to do an "UN-Transfer" and I'd expect that most dealers would NOT be willing to take a gun back to "swap it" if you or they found tool marks after the transaction.

I'd expect that most dealers would NOT be willing to take a gun back to "swap it" if you or they found tool marks after the transaction.

Exactly, If I can't fully examine a pistol that I'm interested in before they start the paperwork, then they have just lost a sale.

MikeD122 said:
I'd expect that most dealers would NOT be willing to take a gun back to "swap it" if you or they found tool marks after the transaction.

Exactly, If I can't fully examine a pistol that I'm interested in before they start the paperwork, then they have just lost a sale.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (Len? :D ), but aren't gun shops supposed to show you how to take the gun apart and put it back together (for cleaning)?? Bob's in Salisbury certainly does. Talk abut showing you field stripping! Most of the guys there will show you how to break the whole thing down. I also went to Gun and Sport North in Lawrence (where I bought my .40) and they showed me how to take it apart. I even looked down the barrel to make sure it was okay before I bought it. IMHO, they should check the guns they get in before they put them on the shelf with the "for sale" sign on it....but that's just my business sense speaking.

The owners at the time I had the unfortunate experience were Jim & Beth Elicone (not sure about the spelling). If someone finds out this particular policy has changed, please post the info here.

As to the "swap" - the only reason I asked was because of the line "That gun's not getting field stripped until it's been paid for".

Lynne is right, with the AG's regs (consumer safety), I believe that they are REQUIRED to show you how each gun operates and breaks down as part of the sale process (IIRC). Four Seasons does it and you have to initial their checklist to verify that it was done. It's a CYA on getting accused of violating the "consumer safety" dictator's regs.

Unless a gun is a "collectible" and sold as such, where turning a cylinder (on a revolver), etc. de-values the piece, the dealer really should have no problem breaking down a gun into the "larger pieces" that one would have to do for basic cleaning.

LenS said:
Lynne is right, with the AG's regs (consumer safety), I believe that they are REQUIRED to show you how each gun operates and breaks down as part of the sale process (IIRC). Four Seasons does it and you have to initial their checklist to verify that it was done. It's a CYA on getting accused of violating the "consumer safety" dictator's regs.

Unless a gun is a "collectible" and sold as such, where turning a cylinder (on a revolver), etc. de-values the piece, the dealer really should have no problem breaking down a gun into the "larger pieces" that one would have to do for basic cleaning.

Maybe that's why the old owners don't own it any more. They didn't want to follow the rules of the road, so to speak, so they sold out.

I had a very pleasant shopping experience at Collector's Guns today. On my way over there I stopped by Four Seasons to see what all the fuss was about. Nice place, friendly people, busy shop, good selection, but the prices seemed a tad high to me. They did have a stunning Sig P226 9mm in nickel that had recently come in on consignment, but at $800 it was out of my range. Perhaps it is customary to haggle a little and get the prices lower than what is on the stcker at Four Seasons?

Anyway, off I went to visit Jack over at Collectors. Good selection, prices appeared a little cheaper than Four Seasons (example - the quick-access safe I bought at Collectors was marked at $75 and it was marked at $85 at FS). I looked at, fondled and considered a Sig P226, P239, S&W 1911 SC, Ruger Mk II, and a Walther P22. I ended up going with the really clean Sig P226. It cost me $475 with two 10-round mags and one high-cap mag. I also got a safe, a gun cleaning kit, and 440 rounds of various 9 mm ammo. Total was something like $630. I'm a happy camper. I know Jack personally (his wife and mine are childhood friends), so he probably gave me a better deal than if I had just walked in off the street, but I think anyone will find his prices to be competitive. I'm definitely going back there again. Soon.

Mark,

Regrettably the oil tanker spill resulted in my only having time to get to Four Seasons on Tuesday. They had 128/I-95 all tied up on both sides for miles as it looked like they were pumping sludge out of the river below the highway. So I didn't dare head down to Stoneham to see what Collector's had. [I had to serve some legal papers in Wakefield, that was my excuse to visit Carl.]

I did drop a few hundred at Four Seasons on ammo (including copper plated bullets for reloading), looked over the 1911Sc (perhaps a future item), etc. Will give Wolf .45 (new stuff) a try (at $6.99/box) in my 1911 and keep my fingers crossed.

Now for some thoughts on prices and used guns:

- Carl frequently posts "Internet special" pricing on both his website and Emailed to those on his list. Usually these prices will be lower than the stickers in the store. The magic is to ask for the Internet (or Holly Special) pricing, as appropriate. Here's a webpage to keep tabs on before shopping: http://www.fsguns.com/specials.html Examples: Note on webpage "Glock 19 refurbs: Take $50 off when you mention this web offer." A few weeks ago the Email gave a $25 discount on in-stock S&W blue or scandium 1911s by mentioning the Email.

- Consignment guns have their prices set by the owner, not Four Seasons! Some owners want a bar of gold for a Jennings .22! You can always make an offer on consignment guns. I've only bought one consignment gun for the listed price (and only because the price listed was very reasonable). Only one consignment gun did I make an offer on and "lose" (sold). So, I've almost always paid less then the asking price. If I thought that the asking price was stratospheric, I probably wouldn't waste my time making an offer (unless it's been sitting in Carl's showcase for 6 months or so).

I think that there is some friendly rivalry between Carl and Jack. Both appear to compete with each other fairly well.

Since you are a friend of Jack's maybe you should make a suggestion to him:
- Why doesn't Jack create an Email list and blast specials to those that sign up?

I've always noticed Coin Collector's used guns being much higher than Four Seasons. For a few bucks more, you could buy new.

Laura said:
I've always noticed Coin Collector's used guns being much higher than Four Seasons. For a few bucks more, you could buy new.

Laura, that has been my impression also. Occasionally I get a good deal on ammo or an accessory at Collector's, but I usually find Four Seasons prices somewhat better. Sometimes they compete on an item and one or the other may be a bit cheaper.

When I was here, I felt like everytime I looked at a gun, there was a "well, you gonna buy it or not?" attitude. I want to be comfortable and like the experience when I shell out a lot of cash. If I see one of my guns and remember an awkward feeling I had when purchasing it, it takes some of the fun out of it. It's usually back on consignment somewhere sooner than it might be otherwise.

I gave this place three chances because it has a good selection...that's it for me.

I find your experience unusual under the current ownership. I find the owner very pleasant and I have NOT bought any guns from him, only mags, books, ammo (probably all higher margin than guns anyway). I am NOT a big spender in his shop and rarely visit the place more than 2x/year.

Prior ownership I understand were miserable folks to deal with. Current owner has had the shop for a while now, I think that the website may give some info here.

I find the shop interesting, but I like looking at old guns and I really like the new shop a lot better than his 2 prior locations. Although I've only visited the new shop once so far . . . another planned visit was thwarted by the oil tanker mess in Stoneham a few weeks ago.

With all that said, I like Four Seasons a lot better, spend much, much more money there, and visit Carl much more often (maybe 5-6x/year). Both shops are a long trip (~85 miles RT) and I find myself up in those areas most often on Sundays or Mondays (when they are closed) due to various business meetings.

I live about a mile from Four Seasons and my business is on the same block as Collectors. I have bought several guns from both locations and stop in both shops at least once a week if not more. The prices are very comparable on any given item on any given day at both shops. Frankly I have fared better at Collectors when I have sold or traded guns. I like both shops and buy regularly from both. I will say that Four Seasons is a bit too crowded for my taste. I am tired of waiting 20 - 30 miinutes when I only want to buy some cleaning solution or a couple of boxes of ammo. Still, they are both very good places.

Gun Operation

I just picked up a Remington 700 at the Kittery Trading Post. I was surprised when the salesman asked me if I knew the operation. When I said I did, he had me initial a form. Never did that in NJ...
:p

I agree

I shop at both stores. My goal is to get the best possible deal for "me." I shop for best product and the best price.
I bought two long guns last week, one at FS and the other at Collectors.
I saved myself a total of about $100 on both. They win, I win.

Sounds like mixed reviews

I have been to both browsing and here is my take -

People
At Collectors there were 3 people working and only one other customer besides me. The 2 free employees didn't really pay any attention to me - which can be good or bad depending on who you are.
At 4 Seasons, as I was looking at some shotguns an employee approached me and struck up a conversation about the shotguns they had...not hard selling...just about the pros and cons of each. Then he wished me well and left me alone to browse.

Place
Collectors - get's crowded fast especially if the other person there is lookig int he same area as you.
4 Seasons - I think I remember it being a bit bigger than collectors and browsing the weapons seemed more accesible. It was just a bit harder to find than collectors.

Guns
I thought the variety and display at 4 seasons was better with more room to puruse. They had more options for long guns, hand guns and safes.

Verdict for me - it is a closer match than it sounds, but I think 4 seasons edges out collectors.

I like both

I agree that it's a close call. I guess I have to give the edge to Collector's in that they seem to have a better variety of both used pistols and long guns. I know it varies depending on what day of the week you are there. Prices are fairly comparable, but they do vary rather widely depending on the firearm. Collectors gave me $50 more on a trade in than FS offered.
The folks at FS are definitely more pleasant, but it is often hard to get waited on there when it is crowded, which is most of the time.
Still, it's nice to have two decent stores so close to each other. :D

New Ruger Vaquero Stainless in .45 5.5 inch

I asked the moderator if it was OK to post this because I don't want to violate any rules, but I know some of us are looking for these.
He said it was OK. I'm not the daler by the way.

This is the first I've heard of in MA.

It is beautiful. I'm waiting for the same in .357. :eek:

Re: New Ruger Vaquero Stainless in .45 5.5 inch

News Shooter said:
I asked the moderator if it was OK to post this because I don't want to violate any rules, but I know some of us are looking for these.
He said it was OK. I'm not the daler by the way.

This is the first I've heard of in MA.

It is beautiful. I'm waiting for the same in .357. :eek:

No problem! These threads are fair game to put info on something you see in a gun shop.

It would be better if you can talk Jack into joining the forum and posting in the Dealers Forum, but what you did is fine.

I frequent CCG pretty often, and once just while shooting the breeze one of the gentlemen showed me how to feild-strip one of the sub-compact berettas.

Wasn't even a question of me buying it...or even if I was interested in the gun....just wanted to see how it came apart.

Of all the gun shops I go to (My Big 3 are Roaches, Four Seasons, and CCG) CCG seems to have the best selection, price and atmosphere (Though I've really do like the guys at Roaches, just thier prices aren't as competative)

just my 2c

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Back
Top Bottom