• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Collectors Guns, Stoneham, MA

Jack's a good guy. Been in business a long long time. Super knowledgeable with antique firearms. You're not going to get welcoming smile and phony treatment. He doesn't care about pampering the asses of every customer that walks through the door.
You sit behind the counter for 30 years and deal day in and day out with all the idiots that walk through the door with their miss information and naïve tendencies and your attitude will change as well.
If you're knowledgeable and straight up with him he'll be very fair and helpful.

I agree. I like the store and the people. When I have a question or an interest to see something behind the counter, they have always been attentive. Whether or not I get greeted every time I walk in the door, I could care less.

Actually there is.

As soon as you pick it up you are in possession.

To be in possession you need a permit or be under the supervision of someone that has a permit

This is the key. In a busy shop like FS, the clerk may hand you a gun and then hand another one to another patron. He can't always hover over you 100% of the time. Thus, they request to see your LTC to prove that they don't have to hold your hand to remain legal. There is hell to pay from BATFE if a gun "walks" out of any store and the locals will likely pull their dealers licenses as well.

I don't know why this comes as such a shock to so many. I've had an LTC for 25+ years now and have ALWAYS had to show it to handle a handgun and many times for long guns. For about the past 10 years I don't even bother waiting for them to ask, I put it on the counter when I ask to see the gun. Who gives a flying f***?? Show your license, look at the gun, buy it or don't. It takes less effort than coming on to an internet forum to complain about it!

I don't know why this comes as such a shock to so many. I've had an LTC for 25+ years now and have ALWAYS had to show it to handle a handgun and many times for long guns. For about the past 10 years I don't even bother waiting for them to ask, I put it on the counter when I ask to see the gun. Who gives a flying f***?? Show your license, look at the gun, buy it or don't. It takes less effort than coming on to an internet forum to complain about it!

I was curious cause they don't all do it. I was in Four Seasons a month ago and they didn't ask for my LTC, nor did North Shore last week.

bought my first firearm ever from them. no, not all all warm and fuzzy, but a welcome trade off from the sea of humanity every time I've gone in to FS.

there was a retired Wakefield cop in there the day I bought my gun, spent a lot of time talking over pros and cons of guns, ammo, even lube.

I haven't been back - NH is closer/cheaper - but definitely a first rate shop.

Stopped in today on my way back from Boston. Place was loaded with reasonably priced reloading supplies including pistol powders except for Clays.

Had plenty of .22 ammo at very attractive prices, limited to 1 box a week.

Bunch of great guns in the cases too.

Chris

Stopped in today on my way back from Boston. Place was loaded with reasonably priced reloading supplies including pistol powders except for Clays.

Had plenty of .22 ammo at very attractive prices, limited to 1 box a week.

Bunch of great guns in the cases too.

Chris

I haven't been there in a couple years but last time I was there, I grabbed 2 bricks of CCI SV 22 for $28 a brick...

Happen to remember any of the pistol powders they had?

I wanted to send a big thank you to the folks at Collector's. They donated a little Mossberg 715 Flat Top for the Greater Boston Pistol league banquet . It's basically a little .22 made to look like an AR. I was lucky enough to be the winner of that little gem [party] . Those of you who shoot in the league, and even those that don't, please make it a point to stop in and give them some of your business. I know that I do and will continue to do so.

i've professed my love for collectors in another thread [grin]. i go there often, they seem to have as many guns out in the showcase as 4s, sometimes it looks like more. the boys have stepped up recently and the greetings and smiles are more frequent and sincere as you walk in. what would push them over the top is a better website with an updated at least once a day used gun page like, dare i say it, carl does. their page is horrible to navigate. i just don't see the enthusiasm there and i think that turns people away if not off.

Their used gun website is updated daily. Its done about an hour or so after they close.

Carl's is actually f'd up for the past couple of months now. Its showing stuff that is long gone as still being available. I went there last weekend to see 3 things and only 1 was still there. And one item was sold in february and is STILL on there now even though I told them they need to take it down if its gone. The other had sold weeks before.

Give them a call with a specific inquiry or if perusing get off your ass and just drop by.
a nicely laid out web page induces impulse buying. i live maybe a mile away, "just drop in" several times a month. life is good to live in between arguably the 2 best shops north of boston, maybe the state.

a nicely laid out web page induces impulse buying. i live maybe a mile away, "just drop in" several times a month. life is good to live in between arguably the 2 best shops north of boston, maybe the state.

so you think four seasons' web page is "nicely laid out" but collectors' isnt?? Its just the opposite. Collectors' actually is a modern looking and operating site while FS' looks like something from myspace in the 90s. Pages scroll on and on endlessly, links are sometimes working sometimes not. The only real useful parts are the specials/new arrivals page and the used gun page until they changed service providers a few months ago and that got f'd up.

Um, I've moved. So don't bother.

[laugh]

Are you into necrophilia? Take another look, that post you quoted was in 2005!! IIRC it was likely papers being served for the banned barrister Scrivener.

The last thing I judge a gun store on is their website. Give them a call with a specific inquiry or if perusing get off your ass and just drop by.

Exactly!

When I was looking for something, I called Jack and had him order it for me. Try it or try calling and ask if they have what you are looking for if it is a distance to travel.

I always try to stop at both Collectors and FS every time I'm in the area. I just never know what I might find that calls out to me.

Been there; a lot of gems on the balcony. Staff has always been friendly even when a patron was claiming they can "get this gun cheaper at FS" when the savings was literally 1 dollar.
they hear that a bunch of times in a week i'd bet. collectors has a nice stock of pre-owned stuff, handguns as well as long guns. have spent a bunch of money there on my famous impulse buys. anyone who hasn't been should check it out. if you're gonna come this way to go to fs, make time to head over to collectors also, only 15 minutes away.

I've been shopping with them since they were at the other location. I like Jack the owner but I have to share my experience on Tuesday. I needed some supplies and called to make sure they would be open they said yes until 6. I arrived at 510 to 2 guys behind the counter bs'ing with a customer. I started loading my arms up with goodies all the while checking the cases for something good. Usual thing I've done for 20 years. I go to go to the second floor (where all the long guns and over flow is) and the guy behind the counter yells at me "hey were closed". I say its 530 you don't close until 6. He says again were closed. So I came down the stairs smiled and dropped the pile on the counter and left. I have spent my fair share on firearms over the years. I will never go back there again. FU Collectors. Thats not how you treat customers.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I've been shopping with them since they were at the other location. I like Jack the owner but I have to share my experience on Tuesday. I needed some supplies and called to make sure they would be open they said yes until 6. I arrived at 510 to 2 guys behind the counter bs'ing with a customer. I started loading my arms up with goodies all the while checking the cases for something good. Usual thing I've done for 20 years. I go to go to the second floor (where all the long guns and over flow is) and the guy behind the counter yells at me "hey were closed". I say its 530 you don't close until 6. He says again were closed. So I came down the stairs smiled and dropped the pile on the counter and left. I have spent my fair share on firearms over the years. I will never go back there again. FU Collectors. Thats not how you treat customers.

Probably afraid that you would buy a gun and that they'd have to do the 4473, NICS and MIRCS and work overtime. Jack.

I've been shopping with them since they were at the other location......... FU Collectors. Thats not how you treat customers.

in all fairness, if you are the good customer you say you've been for 20+ years, then you should have let that incident roll off your back. even the most casual of customer knows the boys can sometimes be personality challanged at times. i'll be the first to admit they are trying harder. me, i like them. good days, bad days...we all have 'em.

I did initially rant I was really upset. I have spent a large sum there. If you saw in my initial rant I did say I liked the shop/owner I was really frustrated. I did handle the problem in the end properly instead of taking my ball and going home. I will say that it might make sense for us somehow create. a reputation rating for shops on NES not just a thread (Hear us O mighty Admins). Like cameras in the courtroom making judges behave better. But what do I know.

Back
Top Bottom