• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Compensator questions

Was interested in a compensator, for the following extremely important and well thought out reasons: [wink]
1)I have a 5" TB handgun, 9mm. Since it has threads, I wanted to thread something on it.
2) They look cool at USPSA matches.

Sooooo.....

Are compensators effective for 9mm? Are they more or less effective for 9mm than other calibers (40, 45, 38 super)? Do you need hotter loads to get a gun to cycle with a comp than without? Does this negate the effect of the compensator? Is the loudness worth the reduction in muzzle flip?

This would probably not be for (serious) competition, because I can't use it in IDPA, and i'd be minor in USPSA Open. As I said, it would be mostly a range/fun toy.

Thanks.

A compensator can be effective in 9mm. If you slap one on and shoot your standard load, you will notice little if any difference in recoil or muzzle rise.

What you are seeing at USPSA matches are Open division guns. Often chambered in 38 super comp. Sometimes in 9mm. A shit load of slow burning powder is used to generate an excess of gas to work the compensator. In the 9mm open guns, refereed to as 9 major, they are loading well over a SAMI recommendation, and at a very long COL in order to fit the volume of powder needed.

In my opinion, threading on a compensator because it looks cool, is not money well spent

Back
Top Bottom