• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 ffp MOA Scope thoughts/questions

I have been researching scopes for a few weeks trying to pick one for my new Savage 10t (308). I think I have settled on the Viper PST 6-24x50 ffp with one of the two MOA recticles. I went to cabelas to have a look through one and both of the ones they had there were a tad cloudy at 24x, parallax adjustment didn't seem to help it.

I'm new to "real" scopes in general and am wondering if that is normal for a scope in that price range.

Also any suggestions on either of the two MOA reticles? One has an open center which might be nice for long distance but the windage marks make it a bit busy.

Did you ask to see the same type of scope from Leupold to see how they matched up? I have a Vortex Viper PST FFP 4-16x50 MRAD scope on my FN SPR A1 and matched it up against my Leupold Mk4 ER/T 4.5-14x50mm M1 FFP Mil/Mil scope mounted on a Rock River LAR8 (308 AR10 Clone). Overall I think the Leupold was still better, but not by much. I've shot a little over 100 rnds through my FN with the Viper and it will cloverleaf at 200yrd if I do my job right. I've not experienced the cloudy condition you've mentioned when at max magnification.

Plus the no questions asked warranty of the Viper makes it a very attractive scope.

If you don't check the scope out out side and use high MAG you might see some anomalies. Also the higher magX can reduce clarity and resolution.... the parallax can be touchy also.
I,don't know if FFP scopes add a level of complexity to having clear lenses or not.
My one deciding factor not to go with Vortex was their overly busy reticle and lack of choices.
I spent all of last summer trying as many scopes club members would let me. From 200$- 4500$ ..... my budget was set at 1000$
Some off us expect a ultra clear view but this is not always the case.
Some scopes will appear darker than others although once your looking down range some of the "darker" looking optics have clarity and resolution that is far better.
I have a 4x16x50 scope I paid 250$ it is very bright and at a quick look appears to be nice....now go out to some distance and try to focus it. It's like looking through a fish tank the more you look the worse it gets.....now my old gen 1 VXIII is a very clear scope but it's limited in adjustments ..... moving forward I ended up with a Sightron SII 8x32x54 AO and their MOA 2 reticle. Has a nice little center aiming dot and the has marks are just a few lines spaced 2MOA apart on 24x
Good luck

Last edited:
I have this scope on an AR15, I got the reticle with just the crosshairs with the 2moa subtensions. Some days depending on the sun the colors can seem kind of washed out, but everything stays in focus well.

Did you ask to see the same type of scope from Leupold to see how they matched up? I have a Vortex Viper PST FFP 4-16x50 MRAD scope on my FN SPR A1 and matched it up against my Leupold Mk4 ER/T 4.5-14x50mm M1 FFP Mil/Mil scope mounted on a Rock River LAR8 (308 AR10 Clone). Overall I think the Leupold was still better, but not by much. I've shot a little over 100 rnds through my FN with the Viper and it will cloverleaf at 200yrd if I do my job right. I've not experienced the cloudy condition you've mentioned when at max magnification.

Plus the no questions asked warranty of the Viper makes it a very attractive scope.

Anyone in the market for a scope who can live with SFP and MRAD should check out euroOptic. They have the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 EBR-1 on sale for $479 to your door for NES members right now. Picked one up yesterday. Not FFP, but the price was right.

http://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-vip...il&utm_term=0_dde3ccfa21-ef6b383ced-158721425

Last edited:
I have been researching scopes for a few weeks trying to pick one for my new Savage 10t (308). I think I have settled on the Viper PST 6-24x50 ffp with one of the two MOA recticles. I went to cabelas to have a look through one and both of the ones they had there were a tad cloudy at 24x, parallax adjustment didn't seem to help it.

I'm new to "real" scopes in general and am wondering if that is normal for a scope in that price range.

Also any suggestions on either of the two MOA reticles? One has an open center which might be nice for long distance but the windage marks make it a bit busy.

I have one on a rem 700 5R in the same magnification if you'd like to check it out sometime outside.

Back
Top Bottom