• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Considering a First Revolver - S&W Model 69 .44 Mag

Okay so I got through taxes alive. Now I'm debating between two things. Either I'm getting my first suppressor... Or I'm getting my first revolver... Both are in the same price ballpark so I'm trying to do my research to narrow it down and make a decision.

If I go with the revolver I think I'm looking at the Model 69. I'm not into revolvers usually (they're antiquated and unnecessary unless you need a bigger round). In this case the purpose it would fill would be a hiking gun, hence I want a .44 Magnum. From everything I've seen it seems like a good gun. I don't care about the sleeved barrel being non-traditional. The one question I have is the big deal EVERYONE and their grandmother seems to make about the lawyer lock, Hillary hole, or whatever you call it... The stupid key lock hole on the side.

I won't buy a gun with a manual safety. I don't subscribe to the "just don't engage it" line of thinking, because if somehow it gets engaged that's a problem. With the lawyer lock, I don't get the problem. It's recessed and needs a key to be engaged. Am I missing something? Is it just that people hate it because it's non-traditional?

Anyone have any other experience with, or alternatives to the Model 69? I suppose while you're here feel free to talk me into a suppressor for my AR instead.

People hate it because it represents capitulation to the anti gunners and a change to an American icon most beloved by people of an age that don't take change well (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I've read of malfunctions (safety turning on) in their light weight big bore models (Scandium 44 Mag). Easy enough to take out - 10 minutes top, 30 if you do an action job while the side plate is open. The guns handle well, and while light (which amplifies the 44 mag recoil) it's good for a carry a lot shoot a little gun. And you can load anything from light 44 Russians to 44 Special to some heavy 44 Mag.

The two piece barrel is (I think) a positive. Dan Wesson had success with the concept. In fact, I wish S&W did all their revolvers with a two piece barrel. Makes adjusting BC gap, changing barrels, etc easier, and lets you avoid potential issues with barrel constrictions from it being torqued into the frame or clocked barrels.

It's a great first Smith.

If I were buying my first revolver, I would choose one that I could shoot a lot for short money. A 357 is a good choice as you can also use .38 ammo.

Okay so I got through taxes alive. Now I'm debating between two things. Either I'm getting my first suppressor... Or I'm getting my first revolver... Both are in the same price ballpark so I'm trying to do my research to narrow it down and make a decision.

First revolver - I'd highly recommend a 6" Ruger GP100 .38/.357 in stainless.
It's a great all around revolver, (although if you're going to cc it you'll probably want the 4" barrel).
If you compare knockdown power, cost, what you can use it for .vs. the .44 I think you'll find it's more versatile.

For your SECOND revolver, I'd go with a .44...

I love revolvers even though I own many more semi autos. I just hated the idea of spending more for a used gun because it did not have the Hillary hole, so I just disable them.

The cool thing about 357 and 44 magnum revolvers is that you can get rifles chambered in the same caliber and if the SHTF that makes a ton of sense. Sure, there are plenty of rifles that are chambered in 9mm but... they are chambered in 9mm.

But, if I were you, I'd get the suppressor. It is one of those items that could become verboten overnight.
AR's are wicked cool, but sooo friggin loud.

I love my S&W 629 6" ported.

the model 69 also looks nice especially if its going to be a trail gun.

if you plan on shooting a lot of .44mag or powerful loads, checkout the ruger super redhawk (i have one in 9.5" barrel its a gas at the range).

BTW once you get a wheel gun youre gonna want a few more of em.

I have a Model 69 and I recommend it as a carry gun.
It is more fun to shoot with lighter loads.[smile]
The compact size and light weight are great for carry in the field.
I use a hard cast flat point bullet of 250 grains.

If you think of it as a well built +P .44 Special, you won't be disappointed.
There aren't too many things in the northeast that would walk away from a well placed shot.

I haven't taken much notice of the lock. I have a couple of S&W revolvers with the lock and it hasn't caused a problem yet.

Jack

If you get a 44, and I have a couple, I'd recommend reloading for the caliber. It is fun to shoot a mix of light, normal, and heavy loads depending on the situation.

If I were buying my first revolver, I would choose one that I could shoot a lot for short money. A 357 is a good choice as you can also use .38 ammo.

First revolver - I'd highly recommend a 6" Ruger GP100 .38/.357 in stainless.
It's a great all around revolver, (although if you're going to cc it you'll probably want the 4" barrel).
If you compare knockdown power, cost, what you can use it for .vs. the .44 I think you'll find it's more versatile.

For your SECOND revolver, I'd go with a .44...

Not at all interested in .357 since it's nowhere near powerful enough to be reliable against the bigger 4-legged threats. Sure a perfect shot and all that, but if a bear is charging me there will be no perfect shots.

This will strictly be an open carry hiking gun (I'll still have my Glock for 2-legged defense). It has to be .44 Mag or better and I'm attracted to the Model 69 because the barrel is short without killing velocity and it's based on the smaller lighter frame. Should mention this is far from my first gun and I've shot things like the Ruger Alaskan .454 Casull and S&W 460 Mag. I'm not worried about recoil for this purpose.

If you get a 44, and I have a couple, I'd recommend reloading for the caliber. It is fun to shoot a mix of light, normal, and heavy loads depending on the situation.

Ya I’ve avoided getting into reloading so far but I’ll be planning on it if I get a .44 Mag. It seems like there’s enough load versatility that it would make sense and I’m also 90% sure I’ll want my woods defense load to be a hot loading with the Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator bullet. The results I’ve seen with that in gel have been stunning from a deep penetrating, high damage standpoint.

Got this 44 in December. It is so easy to shoot that it is scary.

IMG_0015_zps2e41ea08.jpg

This. Get a .357 revolver -- 4" medium frame. I prefer S&W K-frame, but an L-frame or Ruger GP-100 would work as well. Budget for a trigger job.

.44 Spcl and .44 Mag are expensive to buy.

- - - Updated - - -

Not at all interested in .357 since it's nowhere near powerful enough to be reliable against the bigger 4-legged threats. Sure a perfect shot and all that, but if a bear is charging me there will be no perfect shots.

Unless you are going to be hiking in Montana or Alaska, I don't see the point. .357 is enough for a black bear.

One other thing to point out: a .44 Mag is one big, heavy hunk of steel to hang off your belt while you are hiking. If you are going a long way or up steep inclines, it is going to be a drag.

The lock can be easily and reversibly disabled. There are a number of videos on YouTube that walk you through the steps.

Don

*******Edit*********
I found my favorite video of this process. Please excuse the schmaltzy music. Hang in there. He makes it very easy.

Don

[video=youtube_share;RVPYgohVCNM]http://youtu.be/RVPYgohVCNM?list=FLy0lqvomClWYvcV2U81l7aA[/video]

Last edited:
One other thing to point out: a .44 Mag is one big, heavy hunk of steel to hang off your belt while you are hiking. If you are going a long way or up steep inclines, it is going to be a drag.

I have had pretty good luck with the shoulder rigs and big guns. But something like this looks like it would be pretty comfortable on a long hump.

Kodiak_In_Use_1_b.jpg

If I go with the revolver I think I'm looking at the Model 69. I'm not into revolvers usually (they're antiquated and unnecessary unless you need a bigger round). In this case the purpose it would fill would be a hiking gun, hence I want a .44 Magnum. From everything I've seen it seems like a good gun. I don't care about the sleeved barrel being non-traditional. The one question I have is the big deal EVERYONE and their grandmother seems to make about the lawyer lock, Hillary hole, or whatever you call it... The stupid key lock hole on the side.

I won't buy a gun with a manual safety. I don't subscribe to the "just don't engage it" line of thinking, because if somehow it gets engaged that's a problem. With the lawyer lock, I don't get the problem. It's recessed and needs a key to be engaged. Am I missing something? Is it just that people hate it because it's non-traditional?

Anyone have any other experience with, or alternatives to the Model 69? I suppose while you're here feel free to talk me into a suppressor for my AR instead.

Using this little gem of a theory I assume you are not a fan of the 1911 either.....after all the design is over 100 years old now right? You totally lost me here.........for a close range self defense gun it simply gets NO MORE RELIABLE than a quality wheel gun. to each his own......but......buy a sp101 ruger in 357 mag a short barrel gp100 or 3 inch 686 smith and I'm willing to bet you'd consider carrying it for the simplicity and reliability.

Last edited:
Using this little gem of a theory I assume you are not a fan of the 1911 either.....after all the design is over 100 years old now right? You totally lost me here.........for a close range self defense gun it simply gets NO MORE RELIABLE than a quality wheel gun. to each his own......but......buy a sp101 ruger in 357 mag a short barrel gp100 or 3 inch 686 smith and I'm willing to bet you'd consider carrying it for the simplicity and reliability.
Glad I'm not the only one who took exception to that statement. Revolvers definitely still have a place and a purpose. Far from being antiquated and unnecessary.

Ya carrying a revolver for 2 legged defense would never be a consideration for me. My Glock has over 5k rounds with not a failure. Might a wheel gun have a marginally lower failure rate? Maybe but I'm more than happy with what I have and my 16 rounds sounds a lot more appealing to me than 6.

As for the size and weight of the Model 69 while hiking, I'm not too worried about that. I already wear a 10lb pack plus my Glock anywhere I'm hiking and I can deal with that. I'd get a nice crossdraw holster for the revolver that would spread the weight on my belt. The Model 69 is an L frame and weighs barely over 40oz loaded. Not the end of the world. Might just get a better workout =P.

Glad I'm not the only one who took exception to that statement. Revolvers definitely still have a place and a purpose. Far from being antiquated and unnecessary.

Don't mean to offend. People don't have to agree with me but I don't see any purpose for them — objectively speaking — unless it's defense against things that the 3 semi-auto calibers can't cope with. I see the attraction as a range gun and I see the appeal of owning one. Practically speaking it makes sense as a bear gun (hence I'm looking at buying one) but technology has given us guns with more comprehensive capabilities for everyday use. Just my opinion but I feel strongly about it.

buy a sp101 ruger in 357 mag a short barrel gp100 or 3 inch 686 smith and I'm willing to bet you'd consider carrying it for the simplicity and reliability.

Since you brought up the point... .357 mag out of a 3" barrel has the same muzzle energy as 9mm defensive loads. A Glock is also simple and reliable and based on that barrel length just as powerful.

Last edited:

Trust me you and I are not the only ones. Everyone has their own theory behind why and what they carry. I don't leave the house ready for a damn mall shootout........whatever blows your skirt up [smile]

But having a revolver called antiquated and out dated is a bit odd to me. Especially when the poster is considering dropping about $800 on one just for hiking in the woods. [rofl]

Last edited:
Trust me you and I are not the only ones. Everyone has their own theory behind why and what they carry. I don't leave the house ready for a damn mall shootout........whatever blows your skirt up [smile]

But having a revolver called antiquated and out dated is a bit odd to me. Especially when the poster is considering dropping about $800 on one just for hiking in the woods. [rofl]

I suppose there might also be a difference in priorities. I for one don't heave the house if I'm not ready for a mall shootout [wink]. 'Cause ISIS and stuff.

Anyone who has seen Jerry Miculek shoot would not consider the revolver antiquated.

The revolver will be out dated and antiquated when someone makes a gun that will do everything it does and more. Still waiting.

Thanks Subie for your explanations, looks to me, you have all the bases covered. Makes perfect sense, a 44 mag is the perfect gun and the 69 absolutely fits what you have outlined... not sure why posters keep trying to point you in a different direction.... the "lock" is fine, failure rate is a non issue, more internet lore than fact... these days. Your outlook fits right in with mine!! Get the 69 and don't look back....

Thanks Subie for your explanations, looks to me, you have all the bases covered. Makes perfect sense, a 44 mag is the perfect gun and the 69 absolutely fits what you have outlined... not sure why posters keep trying to point you in a different direction.... the "lock" is fine, failure rate is a non issue, more internet lore than fact... these days. Your outlook fits right in with mine!! Get the 69 and don't look back....

Appreciate the constructive response. Thanks.

i do a good amount of hiking in NH (working on the 4,000 footer list)...as i said in the other carrying in the woods thread, look at the statistics of bear or moose attacks in new england or the area where you're going to be hiking...humans are more dangerous so prepare for them instead of wildlife...carry whatever is legal, has the most capacity, you're comfortable with and is not too heavy to lug around...or just buy a can of bear spray which will be lighter and cover all bases...that's just my opinion...so far i've only seen 1 bear cub and it was on the side of the highway and everyone was out of their cars taking pictures...it was terrifying

Subie

One thing to keep in mind. Lighter guns are easier to carry. Heavier guns are easier to shoot.

That may seem obvious, but many people seem to forget this. My 6+ lb 9"(about) .460 XVR is much more pleasant to shoot than 11 ounce, .357 magnum 340PD.

Back
Top Bottom