Converting a Carbine into a Pistol

I've been looking at a Carbine Conversion Kit that uses a Glock 20 Frame to build a 16" barreled stocked Carbine.

But the question came up, would it require an NFA tag to convert this Carbine back into a Pistol afterwards?

http://www.mechtechsys.com/

I'm looking to put together a carbine that would share caliber and (ideally) magazines with my Glock 20.

I've been looking at a Carbine Conversion Kit that uses a Glock 20 Frame to build a 16" barreled stocked Carbine.

But the question came up, would it require an NFA tag to convert this Carbine back into a Pistol afterwards?

http://www.mechtechsys.com/

I'm looking to put together a carbine that would share caliber and (ideally) magazines with my Glock 20.

No. See the Thompson/Center Contender case. Basically, if a Title I handgun is converted to a "rifle-like" configuration, it can be converted back to a handgun. However, a rifle can't be converted to a pistol without registering, as it would be a firearm "made from a rifle".

--EasyD

Thank you EasyD.

That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. I thought if the base frame (serial numbered component) was purchased as a pistol, it could be configured as a pistol (no stock) or a rifle (minimum 16" barrrel with stock) and back to a pistol, as long as it was never registered as a longgun AND physically can not be assembled with a barrel less than 16".

So here's a seperate question:

You have a lower reciever that you purchased as a Pistol and two upper recievers:

A 14" barreled upper reciever w/ no stock for a pistol configuration

A 20" barreled upper reciever w/ a stock

Any idea if that would be considered intent to build since you could remove the stock from the 20" upper and mount it to the 14" reciever.

Thank you EasyD.

That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. I thought if the base frame (serial numbered component) was purchased as a pistol, it could be configured as a pistol (no stock) or a rifle (minimum 16" barrrel with stock) and back to a pistol, as long as it was never registered as a longgun AND physically can not be assembled with a barrel less than 16".

So here's a seperate question:

You have a lower reciever that you purchased as a Pistol and two upper recievers:

A 14" barreled upper reciever w/ no stock for a pistol configuration

A 20" barreled upper reciever w/ a stock

Any idea if that would be considered intent to build since you could remove the stock from the 20" upper and mount it to the 14" reciever.

That's a bit more cumbersome... It really depends on the design of the firearm in question. If you're talking ARs, where the lower is the frame, I'd personally buy two, one for each upper, as they are dirt cheap, assemble one with a pistol buffer, and that way you wouldn't have to worry about constructive possession problems. Also, the whole "pistol lower" thing is a scam for dealers/manufacturers to sell you a lower for more money. If a lower has never been assembled into a rifle or a pistol, its just a Title I firearm, and can later be assembled into a rifle or pistol. Of course you can't practically make an AR pistol in MA, but that's a different problem.

In theory however, you're correct. You can own all the pieces to make your pistol into a rifle and back, and not have a problem.

--EasyD

However, a rifle can't be converted to a pistol without registering, as it would be a firearm "made from a rifle".

--EasyD

EasyD if it is not too much to explain over the interweb, could you elaborate as to what would be involved in this "registration". The thing I have mulled over is converting a 10-22 into a charger-like configuration. I think with a short enough barrel and a polymer stock the weight could possibly get low enough to beat the ban. (A stock charger is 56 ounces, IIRC the ban weight is 50 shouldn't be too hard to trim 6 ounces in a home build) If this is too complex a route to take an 80% receiver is my other choice.

EasyD if it is not too much to explain over the interweb, could you elaborate as to what would be involved in this "registration". The thing I have mulled over is converting a 10-22 into a charger-like configuration. I think with a short enough barrel and a polymer stock the weight could possibly get low enough to beat the ban. (A stock charger is 56 ounces, IIRC the ban weight is 50 shouldn't be too hard to trim 6 ounces in a home build) If this is too complex a route to take an 80% receiver is my other choice.

You'd have to go through the whole Form 1 NFA process. If you take a 10/22 that has ever been a rifle, which is all Ruger made 10/22s, you can't make it into a pistol configuration without registering it as a SBR. Even if it doesn't have a stock, it is still a firearm made from a rifle. You could only make a Charger out of a virgin receiver if you wanted to avoid making it NFA. There are several companies that make 10/22 stripped receivers, or you could make your own.

Remember, it's basically always easier, and you get more evilness, to just register whatever you're making as an SBR.

--EasyD

You'd have to go through the whole Form 1 NFA process. If you take a 10/22 that has ever been a rifle, which is all Ruger made 10/22s, you can't make it into a pistol configuration without registering it as a SBR. Even if it doesn't have a stock, it is still a firearm made from a rifle. You could only make a Charger out of a virgin receiver if you wanted to avoid making it NFA. There are several companies that make 10/22 stripped receivers, or you could make your own.

Remember, it's basically always easier, and you get more evilness, to just register whatever you're making as an SBR.

--EasyD
That's what I thought the answer was. Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom