• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Criminal background check before buying 3d Printer

Maxrobot

NES Member

N.Y. Assembly Bill A8132-2024 Legislative Session​

Relates to criminal history background checks for the purchase of three-dimensional printers capable of creating firearms.

Relates to criminal history background checks for the purchase of three-dimensional printers capable of creating firearms.
Joke's on New York--we'll just print them instead.

The really sucky part of this is below the fold -- it's no instant check, but rather an implicit fifteen day waiting period. You can get a nice zero-paperwork 3D printer drop shipped from China quicker than that!

Joke's on New York--we'll just print them instead.

The really sucky part of this is below the fold -- it's no instant check, but rather an implicit fifteen day waiting period. You can get a nice zero-paperwork 3D printer drop shipped from China quicker than that!
meh mr universe GIF

and don`t forget criminal possession of the hand drill and vise of mass destruction in your tool shed.

like, you thought that meme was a joke? the joke is always on YOU , damn plebs.
1697468823135.png

3. FOR PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION, "THREE-DIMENSIONAL PRINTER" MEANS A
COMPUTER OR COMPUTER-DRIVEN MACHINE OR DEVICE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A
THREE-DIMENSIONAL OBJECT FROM A DIGITAL MODEL.

So... a CNC lathe counts as a printer, "for the purposes of this section"?

Both use G-code, not a model directly. You need software (a slicer or CAM software) to basically convert the 3d model into tool paths for the machine (mill, lathe, 3d printer) to use.

I'm not sure that distinction is one that the courts (or anyone, really) is going to find meaningful.

You could argue that lathes and mills are "subtractive" rather than "additive" and are therefore not "printers". They would be "erasers".

I would absolutely argue that, as would anyone with a brain.

But the law, as written, doesn't make that distinction:

3. FOR PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION, "THREE-DIMENSIONAL PRINTER" MEANS A
COMPUTER OR COMPUTER-DRIVEN MACHINE OR DEVICE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A
THREE-DIMENSIONAL OBJECT FROM A DIGITAL MODEL.

Note that in this definition there's nothing that says anything about additive or subtrative machine; just "machine or device"

The crazy thing is the bill basically outlaws all 3d printers. So an entire generation of kids who will probably need skills like this when they grow up will know nothing because they grew up in New York State. Basically proof that in NYS at least they don't want smart workers they want doofuses just smart enough to do stupid time killing, sould crushing jobs. When NY loses jobs because their kids are too dumb I wonder if they will smarten up and blame the idiot politicians.

Do they not realize you can build one from scrap parts, other than perhaps the controller board, which is not specific to 3-d printers but can be used in home automation, Christmas light controllers, entertainment systems, Real Doll animation components...

The crazy thing is the bill basically outlaws all 3d printers. So an entire generation of kids who will probably need skills like this when they grow up will know nothing because they grew up in New York State. Basically proof that in NYS at least they don't want smart workers they want doofuses just smart enough to do stupid time killing, sould crushing jobs. When NY loses jobs because their kids are too dumb I wonder if they will smarten up and blame the idiot politicians.

I'm not about to read the whole bill, but if this imposes a background check, presumably you could complete the purchase if you're not a criminal.

So, you could legally possess one, but the unwashed public would regard 3d printer owners the same way they regard gun owners, or certain demographic groups: with suspicion and discrimination.

Both use G-code, not a model directly. You need software (a slicer or CAM software) to basically convert the 3d model into tool paths for the machine (mill, lathe, 3d printer) to use.

I assume you were pointing out that if the 3d printer itself does not incorporate a slicer, then it does not meet the definition the bill tries to address. In other words, the legal effect is NULL. Unless a manufacturer deliberately built an end-to-end system that did have that function.

Maybe they want kids to start with the basics. I saw an Afghani use files to mill a slide for a 1911.

To be honest, I believe the likelihood of this actually getting passed is close to nil. It seems like one of those initiatives that politicians endorse primarily for the sake of being able to claim they made an effort.

Requires a criminal history background check for the purchase of a three-dimensional printer capable of creating firearms; prohibits sale to a person who would be disqualified on the basis of criminal history from being granted a license to possess a firearm.

Am I going to jail? Proposal is unclear.

a-printed-gun.jpg

Back
Top Bottom