Current M44 prices

The Ware GS has a couple crates of Russian Mosin Nagant 44 rifles. They all seem to be in very good shape. They are asking $110 or $175 with 440 rounds of surplus ammo. I was thinking of picking one up after reading what to look for but what do you guys think?

Collectors in Stoneham has the M44 for $119.00, so it would depend on the condition I guess. $65.00 seems high for the ammo, but then again even surplus stuff has gone way up lately.

Gary

Ya, kind of pricey but you can hand select what you want. Even at $110 these rifles are a bargain. Seeing as how the shop is in your town, gas and travel isn't an issue. Go for it.
If I was just looking for a shooter, bore condition would be my prime concern. Check for counterbore, muzzle condition, pitting/rust. Then what condition the wood is in, cracks etc.
If you're looking for something to collect, you need to do some research. Start here.

I am just looking for a shooter and my only concern is how can I really see things like the bore condition when every part is packed with cosmoline?

And yes seeing as it is right around the corner from my house I would just go there.

Collectors has a few that are clean and in very good condition. I picked one up the other day and it is more fun than words can describe. There were three left and one I know is in awsome shape cause it was a toss up between the one I got and it. I chose this one because the trigger felt better to me.

I looked over what Collector's had when I stopped by there today. I'm always looking for oddball M44 rifles like a cheap 1943 dated or an over looked Tula. It really is a disease because I already have 1 of each I just mentioned sitting at the UPS depot right now sceduled for a delivery tomorrow. [smile]
I did get a sleeve of 148 grain Wolf 7.62x54 from Collectors. $9.99 a pack and the only deal I could get was .25 off each box since I was buying them and some other ammo.
I remember when it was $5 a box and a sleeve of 5 boxes was $20 just 3 years ago. Still my Romak3 loves this stuff and it is non corrosive so I buy it when I see it.
My Mosins (especially the carbines) get the Hungarian heavy ball stuff because a bigger muzzle flame is always more fun.

Mikey,
Brons in Strubridge has the gun with a case of ammo for about the same price and is a much nicer person to deal with. I believe that he has cleaned them so you can check the bore condition. He had at least a half dozen in the rack when I stopped there a couple of weeks ago. He said that the price of 7.62 ammo had doubled in the last month and was at $80/440 when I was there.

I drive by Brons every day and still have not stopped in there, I always forget he is there. Thanks jhrosier I just might have to stop by.

I drive by Brons every day and still have not stopped in there, I always forget he is there. Thanks jhrosier I just might have to stop by.

You drive by a shop every day and have never stopped? Forgot it's there?
What's wrong with you, man?[shocked]

I know...I know... it is bad especially seeing as I can just about walk there during lunch.

I am also afraid to catch the mil surp bug.[smile]

You drive by a shop every day and have never stopped? Forgot it's there?
What's wrong with you, man?[shocked]

I thought the same thing.
When I got my LTC I went in every gun shop and to every show I could that was within reasonable driving distance.
Its like turning 21 and doing the strip club tour.[smile]

I thought the same thing.
When I got my LTC I went in every gun shop and to every show I could that was within reasonable driving distance.
Its like turning 21 and doing the strip club tour.[smile]

Man if I had been going to gun shops everyday since I got my LTC I would have been broke years ago.[smile]

I bought one of those rifles from the Ware Gun Shop about a month ago. I took it completely apart to clean out all the cosmoline. It was a good learning experience, especially when the screw holding the trigger tension spring got stripped and I had to fabricate my own. No, Home Depot didn't have anything that would fit a 1943 Russian rifle [smile] I also got some non-corrosive ammo for it. Had a chance to shoot it a couple of times. Good time!

BTW, what and where is this Brons place you guys speak of? I live next town over from Sturbridge and would like to check it out.

Bron's is great - John is a good guy, always looking to please.

As for M-44 prices - you can always venture down the C&R path. Then you can pick up an all-matching, laminated stock M-44 for $69.99 from (oops, can't mention who) like I did last week.

And these were a "consolation price" because the regular hardwood stock M-44's (at $54.99) were sold out!

On the flip side - it's sad that during a day on the range the cost of ammo is more than the cost of the rifle itself!

As for M-44 prices - you can always venture down the C&R path. Then you can pick up an all-matching, laminated stock M-44 for $69.99 from (oops, can't mention who) like I did last week.

And these were a "consolation price" because the regular hardwood stock M-44's (at $54.99) were sold out!

Or you can be friendly with a certain female operator from an unmentionable supplier, fax her the add from the place that had them for $54.99, have her run it by her boss and get one of theirs for the sale price. [wink]

Or you can be friendly with a certain female operator from an unmentionable supplier, fax her the add from the place that had them for $54.99, have her run it by her boss and get one of theirs for the sale price. [wink]

If you are thinking of Superman's Girlfriend, she's quit the biz (last month) and moved to Orlando, regrettably. I ordered from her ~2 weeks before she left. Don't know who has taken over for her . . . if you do, please send me direct via Email.

I found a dealer this afternoon that had a crate of supposedly unfired M44s. They were selling each rifle with 440 rounds of surplus ammo and some other goodies that I can't remember at the moment for $240. Is this a bit steep?

The story that the guy gave me was that some construction company was excavating some land somewhere in Russia and came across a bunch of burried crates of M44s that were never fired. The store owner bought 4 or 5 crates and is down to his last crate. The wood looked beautiful on most of them, though there were a few dings on a couple of the rifles.

I didn't have a bore light and neither did the shop, so I cannot attest to their claim of these rifles being "unfired".

I don't know... after my first experience with "sticky bolt syndrome" today, I think I'll stick with my Enfield.

You should have shot my 44' Tula.[wink]

As for burried Mosins that were never fired, its not entirely true.
Russia has tons of weapons and the flood of 91/30s, 91/59s, M38s, and M44s (including all these rare laminated stock models) that came in lately are just a batch from several importers.
99% of these were re-arsenaled and went unfired after they were rebuilt, restocked, reblued, or simply cleaned up. They were put away for a war that never happened after WW2 and left there if the need to defend Mother Russia ever came around. They're outdated now for war use so to us they come in crates by the pallet fulls.

I say the price is high. Zero Hour Arms in Easton, MA. recently had M44s for $99 each that were in re-arseneled to like new/excelent condition. Not sure if they came with slings, etc. but if not an accessory package costs around $15.
As for ammo, you live in a free state and can have 440 rounds sent to your door step for about $60.

The story that the guy gave me was that some construction company was excavating some land somewhere in Russia and came across a bunch of burried crates of M44s that were never fired. The store owner bought 4 or 5 crates and is down to his last crate. The wood looked beautiful on most of them, though there were a few dings on a couple of the rifles.
The story has to be worth $20.
The rifle with a can of ammo for $220 is a bit steep.

thanks for the info guys. I kinda figured his story was full of shit. The dings on the rifles had me thinking and Milsurps 4 Me's explanation makes much more sense than this guy's story that they were burried fresh from the factory.

Until reading this thread, I had no idea that M44s were so cheap. I just stopped in to this shop on a whim today to see if they had anything good to impulse buy. I don't think I'll be stopping by that shop again any time soon since they have no problem with deceiving their customers

Let's see. I paid $145 delivered for TWO M44s, one laminate and the other <whatever is the standard> wood. This was a special deal strictly to the unmentionable company's mailing list of C&R FFL holders, approximately 1 month ago. Condition of both was as described above.

Back
Top Bottom