• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

danish garand

are these any less desirable than a standard springfield or the like?

i found one with a springfield receiver and a danish barrel (VAR) made in 66

from what i've read these guns have great chambers i.e. headspacing

the one i found has a refinished stock [crying] and the metal looks minty...i can snag it for $750...think its a good buy? figure itd make a good shooter and i can always upgrade to a springfield or such later???

People love the Danish returns. These were lend/lease rifles the Danes returned to the US. The VAR barrel is one of the better ones for accuracy. I think it's a decent buy being that it's a Danish return. You can always replace the wood or strip it and finish it with BLO.

The var barreled Garands are highly regarded, but why not buy a service grade Springfield or H&R for $595 from the CMP?

I have read mixed reviews on cmp-forum and milsurps.com. If it is in the shape you say. Still a far better price than any of the boat oars I have seen locally for 700+. right now a CMP service grade is 619.00 delivered, or 1000.00 for the CMP special.

Danish with the VAR Barrels are very good guns, assuming the barrels not shot out. Check the muzzle for wear and use a throat gauge to check for throat erosion. Collectors in Stoneham has the gauges.

Back
Top Bottom