De Bubbafied Jungle Carbine

I've always loved the looks of a Jungle Carbine and wanted one in the worst way. I found this one on Gunbroker that was a wee bit bubba-ed. The stock was wrong, muzzle brake has the ears trimmed and bayonet lug ground off but the price was OK with me so on a lark I bid low and somehow managed to get it. When it arrived it looked like this

carbine.jpg

It's OK but not correct. So I hit the internet and managed to find the correct stock (but the upper handguard is a modified Mk 4 so sue me), muzzle brake, sling swivel and buttplate. Stripped the high gloss poly from the stock and hit all the wood with 0000 steel wool and Tom's 3 in 1. Still looking to find a sling. While not a perfect specimen, I like it better now.

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg

Nice work... you saved an old war horse from perpetual shame. It is always a good feeling bringing them back. :)

Who does these things to JCs? For God's sake, they came out of service pre-sporterized; why mess with them at all? I hear these stories all the time, and for the life of me I can't figure out why some hunter in 1956 or so couldn't just leave the damn ears on the front sight. What, was the bayonet lug getting hung up in the bushes or something?

Nice job in a noble effort, WB. I'll keep an eye out for an upper handguard for you.

I does feel good to have it as it should be. These are such classic pieces of history and to have them butchered is a shame. You should get a look at the gold plated and branded one on gunbroker right now, it's hideous and in need of a complete tear down, I'm nearly tempted to offer the guy a hundred just to give it a chance at dignity once again.

Picton, thanks for the offer. If you find one I'll buy it for sure.

Back
Top Bottom