Desert Eagle Megathread…

I have the 50AE, and it's a hoot to shoot! Is it expensive to shoot that caliber? Yes, it is,
but it is the "big kahoona" of Desert Eagle calibers, so that's the one I got, and it functions
perfect with the right loads!

Don't think they make the Wildey anymore, and the new Automags are THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS!
I don't think so! You can take a nice trip for that kind of money!

Don't think they make the Wildey anymore, and the new Automags are THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS!
I don't think so! You can take a nice trip for that kind of money!
Closer to $4k retail actually for the reintroduced versions and a long wait. Used originals are in the 3k territory.
Wildeys and Grizzlys are a little cheaper but still in that 2-3k area.

current config in 44mag and the barrel I bought for the 50AE conversion (waiting on delivery of mk19 slide, piston and recoil springs.

this barrel was listed at a discount as "50ae polished chrome 'blem' " aside from fingerprint smudges and a few tiny tiny scrapes here and there, it's more or less perfect.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 20
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 23
I was going to gold plate it to be as obnoxious as possible, but now i think I just want 2 tone, gonna look for some chrome parts (safety/mag release/takedown etc [if they're available]). I'll probably cerakote the frame cause it's definitely well used haha

Last edited:
My 3 barrel set has been at Fords Custom Guns since April. I need to call them to see WTF is taking so long.
They’re supposed to be the go-to plating company for desert eagles as they do the finishing for magnum research.

Anyway, they do the gold plating.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cdb3dzGMkXs/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

After your experience, I am not sure I would send the gun to them. At least not before taking several pictures of every inch and making a video.

After your experience, I am not sure I would send the gun to them. At least not before taking several pictures of every inch and making a video.
This. Seriously.
"In the final steps of refinishing, we noticed that you sent us a damaged item. Want us to fix that for you...for a nominal fee?"

Maybe just my bad luck. If you research Fords they have a very good track record with many happy customers. Been around a bit.

That’s why I sent it to them

Just picked my DE today! This thing is awesome! Shot a 44 mag over 30 years ago. Was about time I grabbed one! 44mag/50ae combo.
What color is your DE ? Is that considered FDE ? I like it ! As for 50AE , when I was ready to buy a DE I was going back and fourth between 44 and 50 and in the end I went with 44 . Ive shot a few 50's and honestly I don't see a huge difference (or advantage ) shooting the 50 vs 44 . I also already owned a S&W 460 mag. There IS a big difference when it comes to reloading. 44 is getting very expensive even to reload, and 50AE is REAL expensive. Keep in mind you should NOT shoot lead only projectiles through DE's as the lead will clog the barrel's gas ports. Totally your money and your call weather or not to add a 50AE caliber.

What color is your DE ? Is that considered FDE ? I like it ! As for 50AE , when I was ready to buy a DE I was going back and fourth between 44 and 50 and in the end I went with 44 . Ive shot a few 50's and honestly I don't see a huge difference (or advantage ) shooting the 50 vs 44 . I also already owned a S&W 460 mag. There IS a big difference when it comes to reloading. 44 is getting very expensive even to reload, and 50AE is REAL expensive. Keep in mind you should NOT shoot lead only projectiles through DE's as the lead will clog the barrel's gas ports. Totally your money and your call weather or not to add a 50AE caliber.
This color is called burnt bronze. They do offer an FDE color but it looks like a very light tan. I don’t like it. I originally was going with the 44 mag but got a 50 barrel and ammo before even picking up the pistol. So I now got an unofficial combo kit. I already reload for 44 mag. I’ll look into loading the 50 also. Underwood ammo had a nice Black Friday sale so I was able to pick up the 50 for relatively cheap if you think 200 bucks for 140 rounds was cheap. I thought it was and regret not getting more. It’s not a plinking type pistol so I don’t see myself blowing through huge amounts of ammo….lol.

I remember reading about this a long while ago on NES!!! This still hasn’t been resolved? Holy shit!
Hmmmm, just went back and reread those posts. Apparently wasn’t as long ago as I thought. Boy I’m getting old. Regardless, that was bull.
Yeah their estimated turnaround was 5-6 months. 6 months was end of October. Then again it’s just an estimate.

When I owned my DE, I had both .44 and .50 barrels and gave both of them a thorough run-through at the range. I was surprised how much better I preferred the .44. A .50 DE is a nice flex piece, but I think the design works best with .44mag as far as weight, recoil, etc.

When I owned my DE, I had both .44 and .50 barrels and gave both of them a thorough run-through at the range. I was surprised how much better I preferred the .44. A .50 DE is a nice flex piece, but I think the design works best with .44mag as far as weight, recoil, etc.
Funny you say that as I have heard the exact opposite. The 44 mag being a rimmed cartridge and the 50 being a rebated rim, I think it’s called, and being designed for semi auto pistol use. I haven’t fired a 50ae and the one 44 mag I fired was YEARS ago and from what I recall it fired well. I’m more concerned with reliability. Not too worried about recoil…yet. I’ll know after a few range trips. Limiting factor would be cost of factory 50ae. I already reload for the 44mag. Will have to look into that part of the equation though. First DE, so it will be a fun learning experience.

Funny you say that as I have heard the exact opposite. The 44 mag being a rimmed cartridge and the 50 being a rebated rim, I think it’s called, and being designed for semi auto pistol use. I haven’t fired a 50ae and the one 44 mag I fired was YEARS ago and from what I recall it fired well. I’m more concerned with reliability. Not too worried about recoil…yet. I’ll know after a few range trips. Limiting factor would be cost of factory 50ae. I already reload for the 44mag. Will have to look into that part of the equation though. First DE, so it will be a fun learning experience.

I didn't have any malfunctions with either round, FWIW. I just thought the gun was VERY controllable in .44 and, well, not very controllable in .50. Lol.

By the second mag, I was actually double-tapping with the .44. The .50? No way.

I didn't have any malfunctions with either round, FWIW. I just thought the gun was VERY controllable in .44 and, well, not very controllable in .50. Lol.

By the second mag, I was actually double-tapping with the .44. The .50? No way.
Nice to hear, my biggest gripe would be reliability. I misunderstood what you were saying. Yes, I also have heard 44 mag is very controllable. And, yes….50, not so much. I’m banking on both calibers being a hoot!

Maybe just my bad luck. If you research Fords they have a very good track record with many happy customers. Been around a bit.

That’s why I sent it to them
I'd have made the same decision, especially with the info you had going in. If I ever wanted something refinished like that, there's a fair chance I'd go to them; but now I'd record everything before I sent it to them.

Yup. And reloading 44 is much cheaper

Dumb and hopefully quick question, My mkvii desert eagle grip is one that you just need a punch to remove, are there "better" (or any) aftermarket grips that fit this one? so far I've only seen the one's that screw on. I haven't removed my grip yet but from pictures it doesn't seem like there's a hole to screw new grips onto the frame

Back
Top Bottom