• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

done

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go vp9. Great trigger out of the box, and as just a range toy, you should t need to stock up on mags. HK mags ain’t cheap!!

I'm going the other way. The G45 is one of the best shooting handguns I own. Glock changed up the ergonomics on this one and it actually fits my hand well and naturally points to the target. Not the same as with other Glocks I've owned.

would be the better choice for a range gun
any full metal heavy frame model. why do you think people LOVE cz shadows?
a carry gun != range gun. but, any glock will shoot fine no matter where it is used.

I own 7 Glocks. I don't understand why you would want a 45. It has a compact slide with a full-size grip. For a range gun or home defense gun, the longer slide from a fullsize gun like a 17 or 34 increases the sight radius, making it easier to shoot accurately. For a concealed carry gun, the full-size grip makes it harder to conceal than a Glock 19, which has a shorter grip. The 19's grip is large enough for most people to easily get all your fingers on the grip.

For a range toy, I suggest you consider a Glock 34. For a home defense gun, I suggest you consider a 17 or 34. For a carry gun, I suggest you consider a 19.

I don't have any experience with a VP9, other than to say that I completely DESPISE the HK magazine release, so I will let others compare Glocks to the VP9.

If the VP9 is a button mag release, otherwise I wouldn't shift to a gun with that paddle release. And I used to own one, too different and just mixed me up.

I own 7 Glocks. I don't understand why you would want a 45. It has a compact slide with a full-size grip. For a range gun or home defense gun, the longer slide from a fullsize gun like a 17 or 34 increases the sight radius, making it easier to shoot accurately. For a concealed carry gun, the full-size grip makes it harder to conceal than a Glock 19, which has a shorter grip. The 19's grip is large enough for most people to easily get all your fingers on the grip.

For a range toy, I suggest you consider a Glock 34. For a home defense gun, I suggest you consider a 17 or 34. For a carry gun, I suggest you consider a 19.

I don't have any experience with a VP9, other than to say that I completely DESPISE the HK magazine release, so I will let others compare Glocks to the VP9.

I prefer the short slide full size grip. Accuracy isn't really that different but the ability to get my whole hand comfortablely on the gun allows for much better recoil control. Match that with quicker impulses of a shorter slide. I find these type of guns my favorite to shoot.

Personal preference things though.

If the VP9 is a button mag release, otherwise I wouldn't shift to a gun with that paddle release. And I used to own one, too different and just mixed me up.
Interesting. It looks like I'm not the only one who despises the paddle release as HK apparently has two models of the VP9, one with the paddle release and one with a standard button release. That's news to me as the paddle release is a deal breaker for me. YMMV.

See figure 2 here: https://hk-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/Push-Button-Instructional-Supplement-OCT-19-2018.pdf

I prefer the short slide full size grip. Accuracy isn't really that different but the ability to get my whole hand comfortablely on the gun allows for much better recoil control. Match that with quicker impulses of a shorter slide. I find these type of guns my favorite to shoot.

Personal preference things though.
I can get my full hand comfortably on the grip of a Glock 19-sized gun, but that might not be true for folks with bigger hands. I wear a size large glove, but I don't have big beefy hands. I agree that this sort of thing is personal preference.

There's at least one central MA town that is considering changing the LEs carry gun to the G45 with RMR and a compact Streamlight. I know the armorer and he's a huge fan of the G45

There's at least one central MA town that is considering changing the LEs carry gun to the G45 with RMR and a compact Streamlight. I know the armorer and he's a huge fan of the G45
so, is the g45 an exact copy of g19x - or did they alter there anything, at all?

so, is the g45 an exact copy of g19x - or did they alter there anything, at all?
Yeah its black....

The mags on the 19x have smaller baseplates for some ridiculous reason on the 19x glock put a small piece of plastic on the grip going down past the mag so normal mags don't work on 19x's

Attachments

• glock-19x-9mm-npr51077-new.jpg
    glock-19x-9mm-npr51077-new.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 4
HK does offer a VP9 with the button for certain Americans who can't learn new tricks.

HK does offer a VP9 with the button for certain Americans who can't learn new tricks.
I've got lots of guns with button magazine releases. Whether I carry a Glock or a 1911 or a Kahr or a CZ, they all have a button magazine release in the same place.

Unless you are going to go all in on HKs, I recommend against the paddle release. (I recommend against the paddle release in general, but that's a rant for a different thread...)

I've got lots of guns with button magazine releases. Whether I carry a Glock or a 1911 or a Kahr or a CZ, they all have a button magazine release in the same place.

Unless you are going to go all in on HKs, I recommend against the paddle release. (I recommend against the paddle release in general, but that's a rant for a different thread...)
My first gun was a G19 Gen 4. Loved it for many years till I realized other companies offered better solutions for lefties. HK and FNH are the only ones who gave a shit about full ambi controls in their core design tenets. Sure, Glock and Sig now offer 'reversible' mag catches but then you can't do it with the other hand.

Yeah its black....

The mags on the 19x have smaller baseplates for some ridiculous reason on the 19x glock put a small piece of plastic on the grip going down past the mag so normal mags don't work on 19x's
i fixed that with a spray paint and fixed it with dremel to take g17 mags.
kinda like it, actually, as it is an interesting mongrel. :)

IMG_4390.jpeg

My first gun was a G19 Gen 4. Loved it for many years till I realized other companies offered better solutions for lefties. HK and FNH are the only ones who gave a shit about full ambi controls in their core design tenets. Sure, Glock and Sig now offer 'reversible' mag catches but then you can't do it with the other hand.
I think the chance of my needing to both 1) shoot my gun with my support hand and 2) perform a reload with my support hand, is almost infinitely small. I do now and then practice support hand shooting (I still suck with it) but I've never practiced support hand reloads.

My first gun (since sold) was an early Glock 17. I now mostly carry a Gen 5 Glock 19. I won't say I love it. The trigger is at best OK. It's taken a lot of work to get it to point naturally for me. The flared mag well is a good improvement. It's reliable and the packaging is good. All around it is a good choice, but it's not like when I take my Shadow 2 to the range.

I think the chance of my needing to both 1) shoot my gun with my support hand and 2) perform a reload with my support hand, is almost infinitely small. I do now and then practice support hand shooting (I still suck with it) but I've never practiced support hand reloads.
I guess I've seen too many tactical youtubers practice both hands at the range, including 'injured hand mode' where they clutch onto the arm of their dominant hand and shoot with the weaker one and rack the slide using the rear sights LOL.

I guess I've seen too many tactical youtubers practice both hands at the range, including 'injured hand mode' where they clutch onto the arm of their dominant hand and shoot with the weaker one and rack the slide using the rear sights LOL.
I've done one hand reloads using my dominant hand -- gun between knees, insert the mag, rack slide on belt, etc. The chance of getting in a gunfight is small. The chance of getting in a gunfight where you need to reload is smaller yet. The chance that you get in a gunfight where your dominant hand is injured and you need to reload, seems vanishingly small to me, but I guess I'm not tacticool...

I would suggest the Glock over the HK VP9. There are plenty of other Mfgs that I would also recommend over the HK. In the past year of shooting matches, I’ve seen a lot of different guns being used by a good handful of different companies. I don’t recall seeing a single VP9 in use by anyone. I’m thinking there must be a reason. USPSA/Action Pistol type shooters tend to put a lot of rounds through their guns. I tend to want to know what many of this group are shooting when I’m trying to make a decision on a new platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom