Drop in Trigger Kits for M&Ps

I have the Apex DCAEK trigger kit installed in all of my Mass. compliant M&P's and all I can say is that they are now phenomonal shooters . No grit; no over-travel; and much lighter. The kit includes the Apex sear, striker block and duty trigger return spring (which is lighter than the MA spring but heavier than the standard S&W spring.) It is very noticable, My shot groups have reduced in size by much less than half. The install is straight forward using the Apex videos. I bought an MGW M&P sight pusher to remove the rear sight for the striker block install which makes that part of the job take literally 2 minutes. Much easier than trying to drift the sight out with a punch and hammer plus no worries about tool marks. The shipping always took 3 days fron Cali to MA and the Apex customer service is second to none. Randy, Scott and Lisa are running a top notch operation.

I think the Apex kit takes a really nice gun (with a horrible trigger) and makes it perfect. IMO the trigger is very close to the feel of a my Glock 17 trigger with a 3.5# connector and a Wolff trigger spring. These parts are the only reason I switched back to the M&P platform. I'm glad I now have the choice of buying a nice, modern designed pistol with great ergo's for a decent price instead of paying the ridiculous over-inflated prices for used 2nd Gen Glocks here in Mass.

Last edited:
Before the Apex sear the trigger pull was 10.4 lbs, after the Apex sear --- 7.1 lbs. Just changed the Massachusetts trigger return spring for a standard return spring and the trigger pull went from 7.1 to 5.2 lbs. 2 lbs reduction for a $3 return spring. I have an Apex striker block, but I cannot budge the rear sight. I guess I'll leave that for another day.

Last edited:
Hi I Just installed the Apex hard sear and USB on a MA compliant M&P 45.
Trigger was 10lbs 12ozs before.
Now It's 5lbs 8ozs.
You were out of springs when i ordered How much difference will they make.
Thanks Will

The addition of our trigger return spring will drop your trigger pull by about another pound or so. The Apex Sear spring won't work in the MA guns, but the trigger return spring will. You can get the trigger return spring alone by calling us at the shop at 805-528-5250

The New shopping cart will launch in the next couple of days, and they'll be available on there. We just have to iron out a few logistics first.

I finally got the rear sight off and put in the apex striker block. That took an .5lbs off the trigger pull, but better than that it really made the trigger as smooth as glass right up to the sear break.

I ordered a sear and a striker block the day I got my M&P earlier this week. I ordered on Tuesday night and it arrived on Friday morning. Huge improvement! I really appreciate the responsiveness too and the youtube videos are well done.

Thanks Flork!

B

Last edited:
Shot my M&P 9mm for the first time today. While I loved the gun, I hated the trigger, question is, is modifying the trigger in MA legal or not? I know we have a 10lbs+ trigger due to MA compliance... Sorry for the noob question, I am new to this. Thank you.

Shot my M&P 9mm for the first time today. While I loved the gun, I hated the trigger, question is, is modifying the trigger in MA legal or not? I know we have a 10lbs+ trigger due to MA compliance... Sorry for the noob question, I am new to this. Thank you.

It only has to have the 10# trigger when purchased from the dealer. You can do what you want to it after you buy it.

s4mt3k, you are just a couple towns over. Wanna meet at Mansfield Fish and Game and try mine with the Apex trigger job having been done???? PM me.

-R

My Experience

When the APEX Hard Sear first came out for the M&P I ordered one for my Massachusetts 9mm. The ten pound trigger wasn't fun but everything else about the pistol was perfect for me. I watched the video several times and was surprised how easy the sear conversion was.

Shooting was much better but after a short while I started having trouble with the gun. I would pull the trigger but the striker wouldn't release. The first time this happened I field stripped the gun and it worked fine. BUT the next time I went to the range the striker wouldn't release and field stripping it didn't help.

I went home and carefully crafted an e-mail to APEX Tactical explaining my issue. Less than half an hour I received a telephone call from Scott Folk (Flork) telling me that there are two solutions to my problem. One solution involves bending metal and the other involves replacing the sear with the .45 M&P sear. I told Scott I wasn't excited about bending parts of my gun so he said he would send me a .45 sear but the risk is it could product a slight overtravel.

Since I had ordered one of the early sears APEX didn't have their striker block or trigger spring available. I asked Flork to send me these with the sear so he took my credit card number and almost instantly the parts arrived in the mail.

I replaced the sear and packaged the old one to send back then installed the trigger spring. The trigger spring is an interesting animal. It appears that they make the spring to increase the trigger weight on normal M&Ps because they are too light for safe carry after the installation of the hard sear but on the Massachusetts guns the spring actually lightens the trigger weight. In the video Randy suggests that a slave pin should be made out of a hex key to hold the spring while putting the trigger pivot pin back in the gun. I carefully followed his instructions but the slave pin kept getting pulled out of alignment while I tried to reinstall the trigger pivot pin. I tried making a new slightly longer slave pin out of the shank of a drill bit but had the same problem. Finally I decided to use a small spring hook to pull the spring out into position and then put a small pin punch through the port side of the frame to catch and hold the spring until I could push the trigger pivot pin into position. For me this procedure worked much better.
I took the pistol to the range and was very pleased with the trigger pull except for the grittiness. That is the purpose of the APEX USB so tackeled this installation next. The only difficult part of this is the removal of the rear sight without marring the surface. First I tried using a wood dowel to move the sight but it was way too soft. The only other thing that I had to use was a quarter inch brass punch. I padded it with paper and this worked but the paper quickly wore away and I slightly marred the edge of the sight. Otherwise the installation went well.

Not being a gunsmith I was a little nervous about tackling this project but Randy's videos gave me the confidence to try it. After completion I realized that I have completely disassembled and reassembled the M&P which I would have been afraid to do. Now I wouldn't think twice about doing it. So the project did lots for teaching me about the internal operation of a semi-auto pistol and gave me a M&P with a great trigger. Thank you Randy and Scott. I am a satisfied customer.

When the APEX Hard Sear first came out for the M&P I ordered one for my Massachusetts 9mm. The ten pound trigger wasn't fun but everything else about the pistol was perfect for me. I watched the video several times and was surprised how easy the sear conversion was.

Shooting was much better but after a short while I started having trouble with the gun. I would pull the trigger but the striker wouldn't release. The first time this happened I field stripped the gun and it worked fine. BUT the next time I went to the range the striker wouldn't release and field stripping it didn't help.

I went home and carefully crafted an e-mail to APEX Tactical explaining my issue. Less than half an hour I received a telephone call from Scott Folk (Flork) telling me that there are two solutions to my problem. One solution involves bending metal and the other involves replacing the sear with the .45 M&P sear. I told Scott I wasn't excited about bending parts of my gun so he said he would send me a .45 sear but the risk is it could product a slight overtravel.

Since I had ordered one of the early sears APEX didn't have their striker block or trigger spring available. I asked Flork to send me these with the sear so he took my credit card number and almost instantly the parts arrived in the mail.

I replaced the sear and packaged the old one to send back then installed the trigger spring. The trigger spring is an interesting animal. It appears that they make the spring to increase the trigger weight on normal M&Ps because they are too light for safe carry after the installation of the hard sear but on the Massachusetts guns the spring actually lightens the trigger weight. In the video Randy suggests that a slave pin should be made out of a hex key to hold the spring while putting the trigger pivot pin back in the gun. I carefully followed his instructions but the slave pin kept getting pulled out of alignment while I tried to reinstall the trigger pivot pin. I tried making a new slightly longer slave pin out of the shank of a drill bit but had the same problem. Finally I decided to use a small spring hook to pull the spring out into position and then put a small pin punch through the port side of the frame to catch and hold the spring until I could push the trigger pivot pin into position. For me this procedure worked much better.
I took the pistol to the range and was very pleased with the trigger pull except for the grittiness. That is the purpose of the APEX USB so tackeled this installation next. The only difficult part of this is the removal of the rear sight without marring the surface. First I tried using a wood dowel to move the sight but it was way too soft. The only other thing that I had to use was a quarter inch brass punch. I padded it with paper and this worked but the paper quickly wore away and I slightly marred the edge of the sight. Otherwise the installation went well.

Not being a gunsmith I was a little nervous about tackling this project but Randy's videos gave me the confidence to try it. After completion I realized that I have completely disassembled and reassembled the M&P which I would have been afraid to do. Now I wouldn't think twice about doing it. So the project did lots for teaching me about the internal operation of a semi-auto pistol and gave me a M&P with a great trigger. Thank you Randy and Scott. I am a satisfied customer.

The MA ten pound spring is the real problem. It should be removed and replaced with a stock "free state" spring before you tackle any other mods. My MA M&P 45 wouldn't fire when I tried to squeeze off a precise shot at long (50 yds) distance. The striker wouldn't release.

To achieve the lightest trigger pull, is it recommended to use the apex spring or a free state spring?

On the apex website it mentions the apex spring increases the weight of the pull by 1.5 pounds.

To achieve the lightest trigger pull, is it recommended to use the apex spring or a free state spring?

On the apex website it mentions the apex spring increases the weight of the pull by 1.5 pounds.

The free state spring yields the lightest pull.

The APEX spring is heavier than the free state spring but lighter than the MA spring.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been covered, but is there any place that sells the free state version of the spring?

Man, I gotta say, you MA people have it rough. I hadn't had the opportunity to play with a Mass. compliant M&P until today and I have to say OUCH!!!! The trigger pull is terrible. Now I see why our stuff is so popular in MA.

I'd like to thank all of you for your support and kind words over the past few months. The members of this forum have been an incredible pleasure to work with and I definitely feel that this forum is one of my top favorites.

Scott

Hey guys, just wanted to mention that we just opened the new shopping cart. Have a look and tell us what you think.

https://apextactical.com/store/index.php

We've added user reviews to the items so our customers can publicly post what they think about our products.

The best feature is that we've done away with Paypal all together. We're now using a very gun friendly Credit Card Processor instead of fueling Paypal's anti gun agenda.

Back
Top Bottom