Dual Purpose Shotgun

I'm looking at a new shotgun. Been considering a Rem 1100.

I would like to try some bird shooting as well as for deer with a barrel swap.

Don't know if I want iron or scope or maybe a red dot?

I have found used guns for 325-375, but with different barrels.

So I would have to buy the second barrel.

The problem with the guns with the deer barrels are smooth bores.

What's your experience with this type of barrel as compared to the

great results I have with the full rifled barrel and sabots from my 870?

Now for birds, what am I looking for barrel length and choke?

And what is about Rem choke?

I have also seen ads for a rifled choke, but that sound like a work around?

Steve

don't worry about smooth bore barrels they shoot just fine and the slugs are cheaper than sabots,you just have to shoot some different type slugs to see what shoots best out of your gun,,, as far as a barrel for bird hunting 26 to 28''is fine, chokes for bird hunting, skeet.. imp cyl.. with 7 1/2 bird shot .........rem choke barrels let you change the choke on the barrel,
as far as rifled choke i never tried one but i hear they ok,, i have 1100's and swap barrels, for deer hunting, i have a rifled barrel and a smooth bore slug barrel, they both shoot fine, no problem out to a 100yds around here that's a long shot........

Last edited:
most people trade their smooth bore slug gun and "upgrade" it to rifled.... your looking at doing the opposite of that??? trading a rifled 870 which is a great slug gun that can put pretty small groups out to 100yards.

WHY? what are you thinking in all this?

just go get a bird gun? or a bird barrel for the 870... get a gun for birds, semi, side/side, over/under, whatever?

you said yourself your fully rifled 870 is great, do you really want to swap great for a good enough.

i think your going to end up at some point getting a rifled barrel for that semi....

like buying a cheapo scope. if you use it enough, your going to buy a better one.

Yeah Killer I was thinking that too. I figured I wouldn't be happy with the smooth no matter how
good it let me shoot. So I guess my stratagy will be to look for a bird/turkey gun and then
get a rifled barrel....

Back
Top Bottom