EDC With FMJ ammo?

Here's a slight deviation from the original question: Do any of you subscribe to the concept of picking and testing a defensive round, then finding a ball round that shoots similar and then trusting that the reps with the ball round will always translate to the defensive round?

I picked that up early in shooting after reading it off some blog, but I never actually peer-reviewed that concept. Assuming the defensive round you picked does feel reliably into your pistol as close to 100% as possible, is there any harm in that line of thought?

Meh, honestly most of it is close enough, unless the point of impact shifts a lot, or the practice ammo is really, really weak.

I would only use FMJ for certain calibers (.25, .32 S&W) but if I had the option of a solid copper Lehigh or the Inceptor polymer/copper bullets, I'd choose them over FMJ.

If there were certain guns that could only run FMJ and nothing else, then there isn't much choice. So, yes, I would but it depends on the situation.

i remember a time when that's all there was. no one gave a second thought about it.

Well, for stuff like 38 and 357 mag a lot of people were going to HPs.

nyclad.jpg

Then you had stuff like 38+P 158gr SWCs, etc, which were considered decent if you couldnt get your hands on nyclads.

I carry what works best in the gun. With a .45, I don't worry about it either way.

I do carry ball 9mm in one of my guns, but I'll admit I feel better when I can haul JHP. But then I roll my own SD ammo, so a shortage isn't really a problem for me. If I need more SD ammo, I just shoot some ball to get some brass.

Just curious what the consensus is on carrying with FMJ (ball, whatever) instead of fancy self defense rounds.

ammo is in short supply, but I have a good stash of range ammo. I guess over penetration can be a concern, but FMJ will do the job in a pinch I figure.

Does anyone prefer to carry FMJ?

Would you:
1. Like to have a chance in hell of your round, if well-placed, stopping in the first human object it touches?
A. Like to have a chance in spring of shooting through glass and maintaining point of aim parity with point of impact?

And maybe 2, or b, have a 3x+ chance of stopping a human sized target with three rounds?

JHP gives you those things. Probably. Better energy transmissions to first target, expansion. Larger exit wound potential. Usually better powder and reliable ballistics vs practice ammo. Doesn't go into la-la-lane when it hits tempered glass at an angle as bad as ball rounds. Less likely to go through a target and then bouncer around off of hard objects and land in your dogs butt.

Here's a slight deviation from the original question: Do any of you subscribe to the concept of picking and testing a defensive round, then finding a ball round that shoots similar and then trusting that the reps with the ball round will always translate to the defensive round?

I picked that up early in shooting after reading it off some blog, but I never actually peer-reviewed that concept. Assuming the defensive round you picked does feel reliably into your pistol as close to 100% as possible, is there any harm in that line of thought?
I figure if I’m in a life or death situation it won’t make a shit bit of difference if I trained with 115, 124 or 147 gr or whether it was running at 950 or 1200 FPS.

The reason I periodically shoot my carry ammo is because I want to take the gun out of my holster with what has been in it for a month or three and make sure it goes bang. I also think that I should periodically replace my carry ammo due to moisture from carrying etc. Plus I don’t like to re-chamber rounds more than a couple of times even though I rarely unload my carry gun anymore. I run 2 identical carry guns so it’s easy for training, if I don’t feel like unloading the carry ammo I just use the empty gun. If I do shoot the carry anmo I have a clean empty gun to load and go home with & I can take my time cleaning the dirty gun.

From a training perspective I could absolutely care less what ammo I shoot. And if I end up w a batch of crappy range ammo it’s good to work on FTF, FTE etc. drills.

I’m also not overly particular about my carry ammo. I carry mid-level factory JHPs, I have around 800 JHP rounds left & at the rate I shoot my carry ammo that ought to last me a while. Pretty sure if I hit the target w them they’ll do what I need them to do.

Last edited:

I did this all the time back when you could pick and choose range ammo. Most of the time it never really made much of a difference but I think matching velocities and poi on your carry and range ammo is worthwhile when you have the luxury. Especially in a revolver.

Last edited:
Well, for stuff like 38 and 357 mag a lot of people were going to HPs.

View attachment 455300

Then you had stuff like 38+P 158gr SWCs, etc, which were considered decent if you couldnt get your hands on nyclads.
And apparently Nyclad sucked, at least in .38

It both amazes and disturbs me that before the age of the internet where videos of ammo tests could be easily and widely shared, people relied on either word of mouth or gun rags that acted as advertisements for the industry. About the only ammo that was a known to expand effectively was Black Talon and the fake news at the time focused on it like it was some WMD in every handgun capable of shooting thru cops like butter and needed to be banned.

Last edited:
.45 acp 230 gr fmj worked quite well through a couple world wars and other social annoyances. As much as I like to poke fun at 9mm, it too seems to have met the needs of governments and miscreants for the same period.

Amateurs tend to over engineer solutions to minor problems. Marketers create solutions to “needs”. FLGR and 18# recoil springs on 1911s comes to mind.

KISS principle works for most of us, most of the time.

Last edited:
Up to you I mean if you can afford a gun and target Ammo you should be able to afford some JHPs.

if I ever had to defend myself I’d rather a round that’s going to slow upon expansion. It’s bad enough if you ever had to defend yourself if you live in Massachusetts I’d rather take ever precaution to hopefully minimize any potential outcome where someone else may be hurt during a defensive exchange.

JMO I know people who carry ball Ammo not judging just my thought process.

If JHP are reliable in my gun, I will use them out of a sense of responsibility than anything else. I simply want my projectile to stay where I put it. If there is any question at all regarding reliability of the JHP, I will use FMJ. When I do, I do not lose any sleep, it will certainly do the job. I still carry FMJ in my early browning hipower and in most ultra compact semi autos.

Just curious what the consensus is on carrying with FMJ (ball, whatever) instead of fancy self defense rounds.

ammo is in short supply, but I have a good stash of range ammo. I guess over penetration can be a concern, but FMJ will do the job in a pinch I figure.

Does anyone prefer to carry FMJ?
Some guns do feed HP ammo more reliably, at least in my case so I load JHP for carry.

Bank (Banks?) Miller, formerly of DEA and SIG school only carried 9mm fmj. Not saying I agree. But he was pretty adamant that expansion was overrated and over penetration was a non-factor in 9.

And apparently Nyclad sucked, at least in .38

It both amazes and disturbs me that before the age of the internet where videos of ammo tests could be easily and widely shared, people relied on either word of mouth or gun rags that acted as advertisements for the industry. About the only ammo that was a known to expand effectively was Black Talon and the fake news at the time focused on it like it was some WMD in every handgun capable of shooting thru cops like butter and needed to be banned.
Wrong bullet. The nyclad 158gr +P were the cats meow.

Pretty much everything is covered here. FMJ has better barrier/bone penetration. JHP will deliver more energy and larger wound channels to targets.

I would say the #1 issue is testing the ammo runs well in your gun and mags. That doesn't mean fire 10rds. It means running multiple mags, reloads, etc. There are a lot of guns that get fussy with certain types of ammo.

I'm running 9mm JHP that I reloaded myself.

Once you've gotten the drop on a home invader
and you've got them covered,
I do think there's a certain panache to saying,
"Could you stand over by the fireplace?
This ammo shoots through walls,
and I don't want to hurt a neighbor".

Just yell Fore! before pulling the trigger.

Back
Top Bottom