• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Eddie Coyle's reloading class

Highly reccomend it, great class and can't say enough good things about it!

But I guess I'll try. Professional, well planned, informative, thorough...

Anyway, you get the idea.

You could send him a PM asking...
Or you could check google like i just did, and it'll point you to this URL: http://thegoalfoundation.org/reloading.html

Highly recommended, great class..... After taking it i put a ton of stuff on my amazon wishlist and my family and in-laws have come through.....

Now i just need an RCBS press......

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Synergy+Godmode.

Jim does a great job. I took his class a year ago and I have reloaded thousands of

rounds in many calibers since then and enjoy every minute of it. I went to the range

today with some .270 Win that I loaded with 150gr Swift A-Frame bullets using IMR-4350

and had a 10 shot string with an average velocity of 2819.63, extreme spread of 45.96 and

standard deviation of 15.06. I am happy with that as I ain't the brightest bulb in the sign. [thinking]

Thanks Jim.

will GOAL ever offer a all day saturday course? i can't do wednesday nights. :(

They have in the past. We're in the process of setting up some more classes for after GOAL gets set up in their new digs. I'll make sure there's a Saturday class and post something then.

I am going to be taking the class in the near future. Would also prefer a Saturday if possible. Eddie, do you guys cover basic starting points for buying components? What I mean is, there are so many bullet, powder, and primer manufacturers that I feel overwhelmed. I know ultimately that it comes down to experimentation and experience, but just a starting point would be helpful, such as if you are shooting your average 9mm compact, start with these XXX components, and then experiment from there.

I took the reloading class last week at GOAL head quarters.
I originally thought I would just order a press and jump into it.. I now know that I would have been kickin myself if I went that route.
The class was great! I learned so much.
EddieCoyle really knows his stuff.

I am going to be taking the class in the near future. Would also prefer a Saturday if possible. Eddie, do you guys cover basic starting points for buying components? What I mean is, there are so many bullet, powder, and primer manufacturers that I feel overwhelmed. I know ultimately that it comes down to experimentation and experience, but just a starting point would be helpful, such as if you are shooting your average 9mm compact, start with these XXX components, and then experiment from there.

We cover that, but here's a preview:

You start by deciding what you want to do with the rounds. Are they for plinking? Hunting? Formal competition? Self defense? Once you decide that, you pick a bullet. For plinking bullets, you're looking for economy. For hunting, your biggest concern should be terminal performance. For competition, your best bet is to find out what everyone else is using. For self defense, you'll probably want an expanding bullet.

Once you've picked the bullet, find data for it. If the bullet manufacturer has a reloading manual, use that. For cast lead bullets, the Lyman manual is good. The Hodgdon website has a ton of data too (using Hodgdon, Winchester, and IMR powders). Alliant and Accurate also have data on their websites (but it isn't as complete as Hodgdon's). The Lee manual has lots of data for lots of bullets/powders.

Then pick a powder. A lot of the manuals will indicate the powder(s) that they found most accurate during testing, and that's a good place to start. Otherwise, ask what other people are using. In Mass, availability can be a concern, so it's a good idea to bring a list of suitable powders with you when you go to the local store, because they might not have the exact powder you're looking for.

Primers are easy: Use Winchester, CCI, or Remington. I also like Wolf small rifle primers. Federal primers are softer than other brands, so use them if you have a gun that tends to light-strike, but not for military rifles with a reputation for slam fires.

We go into more detail on how to work up a load in the class.

Any chance in hell of doing an all day sunday course?

It's unlikely.

Last edited:
Probably one of the most thorough things that has ever been explained/ taught to me.....ever. Highly recommended.

I took the 1 day at BN.

The class was excellent. Wicked excellent, in fact. Every mystery I had about reloading was explained thoroughly and completely, and every question I had going in was answered.

Back
Top Bottom