• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

F*ck the USCCA with a rusty stick

Buying a gun and insurance and researching self defense laws most certainly don't preclude someone from acting in self defense. As if someone who has a concern for their safety and takes steps to protect themselves cannot possibly have in fact faced a situation where...they need to defend themselves?

You sound like a prosecutor. Or USCCA. Looking to find and stretch the meaning of things to support a predetermined conclusion.

Yes, looking up self defense laws, buying a gun, and getting defense insurance are not, on their face, reasons to doubt a self defense claim. But add in:

* the obstruction of justice by trying to get her friends to take care of her laptop while she was in jail
* she inquired with his bank about her getting his money if he died (after multiple instances of fraudulently withdrawing money from his accounts after they were separated)
* her domestic violence against him on a previous custody exchange in a parking lot (including her texting someone saying “I just knocked the s*** out of Thomas. It felt good.”)
* her statements that she’d kill him
* her text that she might be in the news soon
* that the daughter didn’t see her father do anything aggressive
* that he was seeking sole custody of their shared daughter

But yeah, totally innocent. The 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals seems to think she’s guilty too.

I didn't read the whole thread, so I'm not sure this has already been mentioned.

I did write about this in the last USCCA thread.
If you're charged with shooting someone, and you are also charged with something else. Let's say possession of stolen property, because the police found a plastic milk crate in the trunk of your car.

If you are found not guilty for the shooting, but guilty for any other charge, the USCCA has a clause in the contract that requires that you reimburse them for any legal fees that they have paid.

I didn't read the whole thread, so I'm not sure this has already been mentioned.

I did write about this in the last USCCA thread.
If you're charged with shooting someone, and you are also charged with something else. Let's say possession of stolen property, because the police found a plastic milk crate in the trunk of your car.

If you are found not guilty for the shooting, but guilty for any other charge, the USCCA has a clause in the contract that requires that you reimburse them for any legal fees that they have paid.
Yeah but what are they gonna do? Sue you? /s

Yes, looking up self defense laws, buying a gun, and getting defense insurance are not, on their face, reasons to doubt a self defense claim. But add in:

* the obstruction of justice by trying to get her friends to take care of her laptop while she was in jail
* she inquired with his bank about her getting his money if he died (after multiple instances of fraudulently withdrawing money from his accounts after they were separated)
* her domestic violence against him on a previous custody exchange in a parking lot (including her texting someone saying “I just knocked the s*** out of Thomas. It felt good.”)

But yeah, totally innocent. The 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals seems to think she’s guilty too.
And yet her ex is the one who first started showing up with a displayed gun to custody transfers. See how messy self-defense can get? And she is still in appeal.

You telling me all those 'gun-tubers' like James from TFBTV promoting their shit.. this company is a lie? "Trust me, bro.. I'm not just a youtuber, I'm a lawyer. Get USCCA" lol.
No, like all youtubers, they pay the bills with their promotions, and its a sponsored ad read. It doesn't mean they actually believe in the product. If you want to know if someone is willing to shill, just look to see if they have ever done a Raid Shadow Legends ad read - if they have - they want the money.

No, like all youtubers, they pay the bills with their promotions, and its a sponsored ad read. It doesn't mean they actually believe in the product. If you want to know if someone is willing to shill, just look to see if they have ever done a Raid Shadow Legends ad read - if they have - they want the money.
I’ll know I’ve made it in life when I start doing ad reads for RAID: Shadow Legends.

As wonderful as those cars were, they still broke now and then.

Here's the real question - were the breakdowns operator error? Not identifying problems via inspection before they became break downs? a 2002, whether a base, ti, or tii, was known to leave you stranded in the cold if you didn't adjust the valves as recommended. If a battery isn't tested yearly to ensure it still has sufficient cold-cranking amps, when you kill the battery attempting to start your car, is a maintenance failure or a battery failure?

Your magazine spring issue just for example - when is a good time to replace springs in often used mags? Every 5 years? 10? After running a certain amount of rounds through them?

Sometimes pre-mature wear leading to failure is a design flaw, sure, but sometimes we ignore (or are forced to deal with) common wear-and-tear items and end up getting stranded as a result. That's hardly the tool's fault.

Here's my little story - when I was really, really, REALLY broke 5 years ago, I had to drive an entire summer adding oil to my Mercury Milan, and tap water for coolant. I kept 2 quarts of oil and 6 2-liter bottles of tap water to ensure I made it to my destination without seizing the engine. It worked fine, until my wife *had*..... *ABSOLUTELY f***ING HAD TO* go to a kids birthday party in CT. She did not check the oil, nor the coolant before taking off. That poor 3.0 liter v-6 Duratec made it 35 miles in 90 degree heat down there, and it finally seized on the way back. With zero coolant and maybe a 2 quarts of oil. And it ran once it got back to our house and I was able to give it some oil and water to drink. It ran like absolute crap, but it ran. That's a failure not to be laid at the feet of the car.

Your magazine spring issue just for example - when is a good time to replace springs in often used mags? Every 5 years? 10? After running a certain amount of rounds through them?
In my case, oddly enough, they were weak right from the factory. Replacement OEM springs were noticeably stiffer.

As for cars, even well-maintained cars sometimes break, particularly as they get older.

Here's the real question - were the breakdowns operator error? Not identifying problems via inspection before they became break downs? a 2002, whether a base, ti, or tii, was known to leave you stranded in the cold if you didn't adjust the valves as recommended. If a battery isn't tested yearly to ensure it still has sufficient cold-cranking amps, when you kill the battery attempting to start your car, is a maintenance failure or a battery failure?

Sometimes pre-mature wear leading to failure is a design flaw, sure, but sometimes we ignore (or are forced to deal with) common wear-and-tear items and end up getting stranded as a result. That's hardly the tool's fault.

Here's my little story - when I was really, really, REALLY broke 5 years ago, I had to drive an entire summer adding oil to my Mercury Milan, and tap water for coolant. I kept 2 quarts of oil and 6 2-liter bottles of tap water to ensure I made it to my destination without seizing the engine. It worked fine, until my wife *had*..... *ABSOLUTELY f***ING HAD TO* go to a kids birthday party in CT. She did not check the oil, nor the coolant before taking off. That poor 3.0 liter v-6 Duratec made it 35 miles in 90 degree heat down there, and it finally seized on the way back. With zero coolant and maybe a 2 quarts of oil. And it ran once it got back to our house and I was able to give it some oil and water to drink. It ran like absolute crap, but it ran. That's a failure not to be laid at the feet of the car.
You didn't top it off for her before she left?

The fundamental problem with all the self-defense insurance policies is "who determines if it is a self defense case before adjudication by a trier of fact?".

The current system contractually gives that power to the party with a vested financial interest in detemining "not self defense", with no independent arbiteur other than the impractical prospect of bringing and funding a civil case while entangled in a criminal one.

It could easily be solved by covering payment in "any case in which the member asserts self defense as a defense to the charges". That is an obvious solution, and it is equally obvious why none of the organizations selling such coverage have done so. It's like the USCCA claim of "We have never exercised that clause against a member, [...but we will not remove it from our contract]".

And yet her ex is the one who first started showing up with a displayed gun to custody transfers. See how messy self-defense can get? And she is still in appeal.

Did he? Is that just what she’s claiming? Because she doesn’t exactly have a record of honest behavior.

But even if he did, I’m not sure how that makes things messy. She had previously assaulted him and bragged about it, and threatened to kill him. 🤷‍♂️ She specifically didn’t want to meet him at the police station, so apparently she wasn’t too scared of him carrying if he was.

In my case, oddly enough, they were weak right from the factory. Replacement OEM springs were noticeably stiffer.

As for cars, even well-maintained cars sometimes break, particularly as they get older.
This is where I nerd out on things, and would measure how much force is required to push it down at various levels of travel, and compare that to known good springs, and the replacement ones. From that, you could then just test the springs and when they start softening, know to replace them before they create a problem. I'm also the guy who keeps written notes on my guns. When I took them out, approximately the number of rounds fired, their weight and brand, cleaning, changing parts, number of malfunctions and type if any, humidity, ambient air temp, where I shot them.

As far as cars, I don't really believe people follow actual maintenance schedules especially when it comes to higher cost maintenance (timing chains/belts come to mind). I treat cars as a tool to move myself in, so I don't pay attention to the value of the car, but the cost to replace it. I chuckle when people say the car is too expensive to maintain because they put $2000 into it in a year, then go take a payment on a different vehicle for $500 a month.

That's a red herring. We were talking about how you brought up the buying a gun, insurance, and researching self defense as if it was inculpatory to her. I don't even know the other facts of the case nor did I make a comment (or hold an opinion) as to her guilt or innocence. If buying a gun, insurance, and researching self defense laws are a sign of one's guilt, I can't imagine what would be a sign of innocence!

That's a red herring. We were talking about how you brought up the buying a gun, insurance, and researching self defense as if it was inculpatory to her. I don't even know the other facts of the case nor did I make a comment (or hold an opinion) as to her guilt or innocence. If buying a gun, insurance, and researching self defense laws are a sign of one's guilt, I can't imagine what would be a sign of innocence!

You left out how I mentioned the daughter didn’t see any aggressiveness from her father and you left out the deleting evidence from her computer I mentioned. So, why can’t I add relevant stuff if you ignored relevant stuff I mentioned?

* Though I did mix up the deleting evidence before the shooting vs trying to have her friends delete it while she was in jail. Pretty sure it was her instructing friends to do that from jail that was used as a reason to drop support.

Last edited:

All this was found during the trial. The problem is the insurance denied coverage BEFORE knowing all this stuff.

All this was found during the trial. The problem is the insurance denied coverage BEFORE knowing all this stuff.

They denied coverage after finding out she was trying to have her friends clean her laptop from jail.

I believe that every jury should also consider making the defendant financially whole upon acquittal whether from the state or private.
There would be a shit ton less lawfare going on if there was a good possibility of having to pay the other side's losses if you lose.
That is an excellent idea. However, the legal industry would hate that. In cases where an attorney is working on a contingency fee arrangement, the attorney is putting in their own time and resources in hopes of winning a case and collecting their fee. If they lose then they are out the money they invested in the case. The last thing they would want to do would be to pay the defendant's costs on top of their own.
I think there have been a few cases where a particularly egregious suit was filed and a judge ordered the defendant to be reimbursed for their costs. But this does not happen very often.
Another reason why your idea is regrettably unlikely to happen. Laws are written by legislators and most legislators in this state are attorneys.

Obviously USCCA didn’t know this at the time, but after murdering her estranged husband in front of their kids and after stealing money from his account, she couldn’t stop there. She decided to steal the identity of her murdered husband’s sister and open a card in her name. Kayla Giles, quite a role model for the Attorneys on Retainer to foist up onto a pedestal.

Back
Top Bottom