• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Favorite fishing bait and lure?

I grew up with a focus on bass fishing, my dad's favorite lures were always culprit worms so that has rubbed off on me.

What baits do you have the best luck with for whatever your fish of choice is?

a_culprit_worm_07.jpg

Last edited:
stripers: plug- danny swimmer, bait-pogys, plastic-sluggo, fly-lefty's deciver
largemouth bass: plug-hula popper,bait-shiners, plastic- senko worm
trout: dardevel spoon ,bait- power eggs, fly- grey ghost
salmon: sliver spinner,bait- power eggs, fly-grey ghost
bluefish: plug- popper,bait-pogys
fluke: plug-bucktail jig with squid strip

For largemouth and smallmouth you can't go wrong with a texas or carolina rigged plastic worm. I personally like culprits or powerbait.

Plastic shads on a jighead work great for stripers in Boston Harbor and large shiny 16oz jigging spoons are a favorite of mine for cod and haddock.

Jitterbug, Mepps spinners are my favorite lures. For non-stop panfish action with the kids .... nothing beats live worms. Small pumpkinseed fished off the bottom have also proven good for bass.

My favorite lure is the one that is still on the end of my line and hasn't been lost to weeds.
Worms are what I like, big, fat juicy crawlers!

For striper fishing, fresh pogy is the nuts! Everything else is way down on the list. It's gotta
be fresh though. Old pogy is just going to feed the rest of the bait fish. No self respecting
striper will even touch the stuff.

Depends on, water clarity, depth, what time of year, weather, & time of day.

If I could pick any time, its definitely night, around 10:00pm, early July before the water heats up too much. Fishing clear water with just enough breeze for a slight ripple on the water. Then its large black jitterbugs on baitcasting equipment, 6' med/heavy action rod, 12lb. Trilene.
Or the same set up with a 3/8oz black spinner bait with a huge colorado blade and a trailer hook tipped with a black Berkley Power Grub and roll it a few feet below the surface.
If the fish are sluggish, I'll crawl a dark colored 10" Berkley Power Worm, texas rigged with a 1/8oz screw in nose weight and a small glass rattle inserted mid way.

But if I were to head out on the water right this minute at 6:28 pm, it'd be a 6'6" light action rod with spinning gear and 6 lb. test and a Rebel Pop R.

For live bait its big native shiners in the shallow ponds, or small perch with the finns trimmed and weighted down with spilt shot in the clear water ponds after chumming with gras shrimp for smallies in 25 or more feet of clear water. Man I miss fishing the Cape ponds.

What baits do you have the best luck with for whatever your fish of choice is?

Watermelon colored Senkos texas rigged for largemouth bass. I do a lot of fishing out of my kayak for largemouth and you will never catch me on the water without these. Fifteen LMB in one day. I was in a small pond in Hanson MA one warm cloudy Saturday afternoon last summer, this convinced me this is my confidence go to bait.

The other one for me is the Zara Spook. I'm so confident in these 2 that when I tie them on, I'm catching fish.

Last edited:
But if I were to head out on the water right this minute at 6:28 pm, it'd be a 6'6" light action rod with spinning gear and 6 lb. test and a Rebel Pop R.

Re-reading this thread had me digging up some old pics and decided to scan one from about 15 years ago. Nothing like skipping out of the body shop with a co-worker and hitting the water on a chilly March overcast day and hitting bass all day long on light top water tackle.

marchBassScan.jpg

Talk about kicking out the winter blahs! [smile]

Nice, we ducked out early today just to "get the cobwebs out". Did a little off shore, didn't hit a damn thing. Water is still a little cold around here and we couldn't get deep enough.

Man would I love a boat...

Nice, we ducked out early today just to "get the cobwebs out". Did a little off shore, didn't hit a damn thing. Water is still a little cold around here and we couldn't get deep enough.

Man would I love a boat...

That picture was taken when the water and air temps were battling it out one early spring. A streak of sunny warm days and mild nights will start warming the water, then once the day and night time temps cool again it takes a while for the water to drop back down. Bass are often all over and starting to feed in prep for spawn when this happens. Thats about the first chance top water baits and jerkbaits will produce.
Its that quick window like fall turnover and if you can hit it right, you'll be on the fish all day for a few days.

I was actually thinking of selling my boat. I have a Coleman Crawdad fully rigged for freshwater pond comfort. Its heavy though and since I blew my back out a few years ago its a lot harder to muscle into the back of a truck by myself, and I hate trailers. I figured I'd hang onto it though because I don't even think Coleman makes Crawdads anymore and its still in great shape.

I actually have a crawdad as well at my parents house, great little boats. Although I would love a little 16' v-bottom.

i had the day off so i headed out today for some trout i hit long pond and big sandy, got some hits but the trout were really spooky. i think the condtions were too bluebird for good fishing... the shittier the better for me. i cant wait till the stripers are in, i saw some dandylions in bloom today that means the tautog are running in buzzards bay.

hey milsurp are you into any saltwater stuff?

Last edited:
Picture232.jpg

Here is a picture of my son Hunter at 6 years old catching his first fish, a small Largemouth Bass. I was having him practice casting out an 'Assault Shaker' at a hole in the lilly pads. Below is a picture of an Assault Shaker.

ass-saltshaker1.jpg

I have two favorite striper lures. They were hand made by and given to me by Charlie Cinto. If you don't know who Charlie is, do a google search of him[smile]
I'll never use them.
lures.jpg

Berkely 7"power worm in Tequila sunrise has been good to me over the past few years. So far this year I have been throwing the berkely 4 and 5" hawg in june bug, also great luck. You cant beat topwatter poppers as the sun goes down.

Back
Top Bottom