Fedex just dropped off my Garand... and some legal advice?!?!

evolved_4G63

NES Member
I'm very happy to report that my first M1 Garand was just delivered from the CMP (ordered in the last week of September). I'm very proud to own a piece of American history.

My transaction with the Fedex driver was quite strange, though. He brought the package to the door and scanned it and his scanner made a bunch of warning-tone beeps. He said "You know you can't get rifles shipped to you directly? They're supposed to be transferred dealer-to-dealer." Rather than ending the discussion there (my mistake), I explained that CMP is a federally chartered program that allows shipment direct to licensed citizens. He insisted that he'd "have to check on that," because it's "like wine, you can buy it through the mail in other states but not MA."

At that point, I politely replied "OK" and closed the door on him. I'm a bit disappointed in myself that I didn't keep my mouth shut. Oh well, lesson learned.

Time to start disassembling and cleaning the new acquisition. They now come in a nice CMP-branded case and this one looks to be in nice shape. Without further adieu, picture:

M1_1.jpg

Last edited:
He is full of s**t. I don't see how he can "make trouble" for you. Congrats on your score! [grin]

-Mike

Yep, you are in big trouble.
I'm a Type 3 FFL, you can just give it to me.
It's for the children.

OK, it's on its way over. :)

WOW, that's beautiful. Congratulations. What grade is that, if you don't mind? The stock and park look great.

Thank you! Believe it or not, it's just an SA Service Grade. The bore is very bright and the rifling very strong, I feel like I lucked out here. Once I clean it, I'll get up some detailed pics.

Swift rifle butt improvisation would produce a funny and appropriate outcome in such a situation.

That's a beauty. I probably wouldn't be able to hold my tongue and tried to educate him as well....it never works though as people only hear what they want.

F the Fedex driver.

You should have offered to call the cops for him.

The cops wouldn't know what to do either hahaha, they'd show up with swat. "XXXX Police, is this an emergency? - YES THE MAN GOT A GUN DELIVERED!! - Sir calm down, is it an 'assault weapon with the thingy on the front'? - I DON'T KNOW!! I'M TERRIFIED!! THERE'S A GUN IN MASSACHUSETTS!! - Don't worry sir, we're sending swat now with guns drawn "

I love it

"You can't get that shipped...its against federal law"
"It's the federal government shipping it"
"Well, then...its against MA law!"

Sometimes people just get into their heads that something *CAN'T* be legal...and will come up with anything to "support" their "position"

The guy probably just thought he was helping you out and didn't want you to get in trouble. Not everyone who doesn't know gun laws (especially in MA) on the back of their hand is a fascist moron intent on turning the U.S. into a police state.

Mike

F the Fedex driver.

You should have offered to call the cops for him.

Go easy on the FedEx driver. His box beeped a warning at him and it sounds like he was trying to keep Evolved (and himself) out of trouble.

In addition to booze and fireamrs laws he's got hazmat and a zillion other procedures, laws and regulations to try to keep straight. And between the Feds and MA, it's not possible to keep them all straight: one look at the NES gun law section proves WE can't even keep them straight.

He's just a guy trying to make a living for his family like the rest of us. F the Feds and MA though!

The guy probably just thought he was helping you out and didn't want you to get in trouble. Not everyone who doesn't know gun laws (especially in MA) on the back of their hand is a fascist moron intent on turning the U.S. into a police state.

Mike

Yeah but this guy not knowing gun law in MA (which is substantial and confusing) and giving advice would be like me giving advice to a brain surgeon on his latest procedure.

Update: Fedex just returned (to deliver my sling and a crossbreed holster [rofl]) and explained that he was thinking of getting his FID. We chatted for a bit about the MA process and I expressed that I understood his concerns for his liability but he should read up a bit on the CMP.

Turned out to be a nice conversation.

Last edited:
Update: Fedex just returned (to deliver my sling and a crossbreed holster [rofl]) and explained that he was thinking of getting his FID. We chatted for a bit about the MA process and I expressed that I understood his concerns for his liability but he should read up a bit on the CMP.

Turned out to be a nice conversation.

Good for you for educating the guy. Now invite him to the range and do a full conversion! [wink]

I've never had a problem with UPS delivering Milsurps to me. The last time the guy just smiled and said "Did you get something good?"

From the pictures I'd say you got something good. Enjoy! [grin]

Yeah but this guy not knowing gun law in MA (which is substantial and confusing) and giving advice would be like me giving advice to a brain surgeon on his latest procedure.

"You can check your anatomy all you want, and even though there may be normal variation, when you get right down to it, this far inside the head it _all_ looks the same.

No, no, no, no. Don't tug on that. You never know what it might be attached to."

I'd like to say that FedEx/UPS/USPS employees not knowing the firearms shipping rules was uncommon - but I can't. They have to cover an awful lot of regulatory ground.

I have my UPS driver pretty well trained though - [devil] - he's a good guy. My post office just wishes cast bullet manufacturers never discovered the flat rate shipping box.

My post office just wishes cast bullet manufacturers never discovered the flat rate shipping box.

Teehee... there is so much truth to this. At one time I had about 600 pounds of stuff delivered in flat rate shipping boxes that were stuffed to capacity. Wife said the poor postman looked like he was going to have a heart attack!

:)

Did you ask the driver his NES screen name?

[rofl] [laugh2]

Around here, most FedEx drivers can't read street numbers on houses, never mind understanding laws.

Not pandering to Greg . . . my UPS driver however is great, I just wish I could convince clients to only use UPS . . . but their prices are higher than FedEx.

Nice acquisition . . . I got one a few months ago, only a cardboard box. I like the case.

Go for the full conversion of the guy.

Yesterday I ran into our Town Engineer while doing some business errands, although I've known him for years all prior discussions were about town business. He asked what I do for a living and then told me that he shot some guns for the first time a few weeks ago at a club in RI (sounds like an open house) and really liked it but would be scared of having one in the house. Now I have a "project" working on him. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom