• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearms and Accessories Show Royal Plaza - Marlborough Sept 26&27

NES Member
http://www.rplazahotels.com/pages/247_firearms_and_accessories_show.cfm

Firearms and Accessories Show Royal Plaza - Marlborough

Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 9:00am-5:00pm
Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 9:00am-3:00pm

Date: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - Sunday, September 26, 2010
Time: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Description: Admission $9.00

9 bucks.... jesus h. I'll prolly get the coupon for a dollar off, but still.. damn.

-Mike

I'm thinking about going to this as my first gun show. Should I expect some really good deals, or is it going to be more about checking out the whole selection?

I have only een to a couple but from the advice that I have got was to know what you are looking for and to do some research before hand because some dealers will jack up the price and there's a good chance that if you are uninformed, your "deal" will be a rip off.

I'm thinking about going to this as my first gun show. Should I expect some really good deals, or is it going to be more about checking out the whole selection?

There are some deals, but you have to know what you are looking for and really look hard (there is always someone who doesn't know what they have). I wouldn't expect to see many newer guns selling any cheaper than your local gun shop. There may be some deals on ammo, but again, know what your looking for and research your prices.

I go for the odds and ends, for example I am looking for a new target pistol case. I know I can have one shipped to my door for about $100. If I can find a decent one there for a better deal, I'll get it. I'm also keeping any eye open for a 7" Model 41 barrel. Stuff like that.

A cell phone with the web on it is your friend for gunshows.

See something you like and want to know if the price is way out of line? just pull up gunbroker and you instantly get an idea of an appropriate price. Also pull up the 4 seasons used gunpage to get a more local price point.

I agree that shows are for odds and ends.

Remember though, dealers are not ripping you off. They are just charging the price some sucker is willing to pay. Don't be that sucker.

I have only een to a couple but from the advice that I have got was to know what you are looking for and to do some research before hand because some dealers will jack up the price and there's a good chance that if you are uninformed, your "deal" will be a rip off.

If you go in expecting not to find anything you like, you'll do just fine. Don't set the bar too high. Treat anything above that is a pleasant surprise. Otherwise you'll be one of those guys that goes "waaah the gun show was horrible! waaah!" [laugh]

I agree with TYPE0 and Macgyvr though.... if you don't want to get taken, you need to be fully informed about what you are looking for, then you will know if it is reasonable or not in price if you see it.

-Mike

Last edited:
A cell phone with the web on it is your friend for gunshows.

See something you like and want to know if the price is way out of line? just pull up gunbroker and you instantly get an idea of an appropriate price. Also pull up the 4 seasons used gunpage to get a more local price point.

I agree that shows are for odds and ends.

Remember though, dealers are not ripping you off. They are just charging the price some sucker is willing to pay. Don't be that sucker.

riiiight, since GUN BROKER and Four Seasons are the bee-all-end-all when it comes to gun prices.... [rofl][rofl] that's the internet for ya!

ETA: i.e. what IF the gun I'm looking at isn't of the FS used gun page or GB? then what?

Last edited by a moderator:
riiiight, since GUN BROKER and Four Seasons are the bee-all-end-all when it comes to gun prices.... [rofl][rofl] that's the internet for ya!

ETA: i.e. what IF the gun I'm looking at isn't of the FS used gun page or GB? then what?

Start a thread on NES titled:

"Halp!!! LOL!!,At gun show,should I buy this ???!!"

Or maybe the person can just call Carl directly and ask him if it's a good deal or not.

Quit being so negative dude.

The only advantage to a dealer in selling for less at a gun show is that he doesn't have to pack it up and take it home! They're there to do business, and they're the professionals.

That being said, threre are deals to be had if you have an open mind. If you're looking for a specific, rare item, then you will have a hard time making the Big Score. If you're less picky, then you have a better chance. I've done the "happy dance" as both buyer and seller ( as have the people on the other side of the table [laugh]).

Take your time, look at everything, treat it as a museum where odd stuff can be seen (and purchased). I always learn stuff, and occasionally buy it too.

He was just trying to come up with a way that a newb could reduce the possibility of getting screwed, that's all.

If it's worth buying you can usually find it on GB in either current or past listings. You can look at BIN prices or whatever to find an average.

Unless the guy is like looking for an "1873 pinfire fauche-chauchat 38 shot subcaliber revolver" or something like that. Antiques and C+R stuff that is waaaay out of production has a whole different set of "rules" behind it for market value.

For stuff like ammo, though, you really need "street/ground knowledge" for pricing. You either have it or you don't. That really can only be determined with a little legwork... eg, the median-low price for 7.62 x 39 is whatever Riley's is selling a case of it for, or whatever the best deal you can get from an online vendor, etc.

In this case with Marlboro if he is lucky there will be one vendor there with ammo prices that aren't completely absurd. Sometimes the guys that don't sell mostly ammo will have OK prices, but this is rare, and that ammo won't last very long. The NY guys only get reasonable if they have competition. There was this other guy that used to show up at the old Rockingham shows that had OK prices, but I haven't seen him in years since that show basically got eliminated.

-Mike

You go for the beef jerky, then eat it while waiting in the line for the custom molded hearing protection. Or wander around and look at the war memorabilia.

He was just trying to come up with a way that a newb could reduce the possibility of getting screwed, that's all.

If it's worth buying you can usually find it on GB in either current or past listings. You can look at BIN prices or whatever to find an average.

-Mike

i agree, there are OTHER places to look. we'd be doing a new person a disservice by recommending gun broker and Four Seasons only. i'd say IF he's interested in a piece, check the local shops websites first, then gun broker, then out of state shops to get reasonable estimate of a "Deal" at a gun show.

i.e. if the gun is $550 at (MA GUN SHOP), $525 (plush shipping and transfer fee) on Gun Broker, and $475 at (NH or ME GUN SHOP), then he has a better gauge. he may see it for $500, $475 or even $525, more or less... [wink]

I'll be there Sunday.

I'll be on the lookout for good deals, but I don't have high expectations.

Don't be afraid to haggle with the dealers either. They are usually willing to bend on the price, so if you have a set amount your willing to spend try making an offer. The worst case scenario is they'll say NO.

Like wise I never have expectations since my first show. Frankly, I have not seen any deal that made me wish I had the cash or bought "that" gun from a show. It depend on what your definition of a deal is. $10? $25? $100? no shipping? hard to find gun? paying more in cash and hiding it from your spouse ;). I really think you have to know what you are looking for and have a good price range in your head or on paper whether it be a gun, ammo, reloading components, mags, etc to know if you are getting a deal. A internet capable phone is good to research the possible impulse buy but I found going in prepared with a paper list helped me. Saved me from wasting money. Last show I saw new products that I picked up cheaper online...including shipping.

You can go early on Saturday and have a good selection of what's available or you can go late Sunday and try to make your best deal. Late on Sunday they're all faced with the possibility of having to pack it all up and go home.

At any gun show there will be some deals and there will be some screwings. It's up to you to know the difference.

As my dear old mother used to say there are no more dumb farmers. Everyone knows what they got to sell. They're trying to make a living just like the rest of us.

I love a good gun show. I walk in looking for nothing never knowing what I might find. Sure there are a few different items I'm looking for and I know how much I'm willing to pay for them but, I'm not afraid to walk away empty handed. There will be another show in a few months someplace else.

Hope that helps,

Course, I remember how many Lugers I passed on back in the 80's for $650 cause I knew I could do better. LOL!!!

We will be set up at the show stop by and say hi, and take a look at our show specials.
We always have special show pricing on our items.

Last time I went to the Marlboro gunshow I bought 500 rounds of 5.56 in an ammo can. I think I paid around $178. It was some middle of the road stuff, nothing special. Probably Aguila or similar. What can I expect to pay this time around for 500 of similar quality?

Remember its a "Gun Show" and not a "Gun Sale".
Bring a backpack to carry purchases in.
Bring a small flashlight and a bore light.
Cash is "King"

Back
Top Bottom