• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First trip to a gunsmith for a re assembly..... update......i had to fix it myself.

Not parting this one out lol. My son's wanted one for years and finally found a good one. I'll have my tail between my legs dropping it off.šŸ˜‚

Texted my son last night to tell him I cleaned it for him.....and what happened with the pin.....his only response was "ugh" šŸ˜–
Is there a thought that if your son wanted one so badly , that he should be the one that knows how to break it down , clean it , and reassemble it?

I usually would say haha just fix it yourself. But I own an old Steven's single shot shotgun. 50 bucks to whoever could put that trigger together in under 1 hour. Gunsmith even told me to never bring it back

Is there a thought that if your son wanted one so badly , that he should be the one that knows how to break it down , clean it , and reassemble it?
My son knows how break down a rifle you f*** faced twatwaffel.

He cleaned it as best he could without a field strip after we shot it.....he didn't have time to do the full field strip because he's away at school and had to go back......i did the rest and will show him the next time....didn't want it sitting for months dirty because the gun isn't going to be used often.

Feel free to go f*** yourself.....a**h***.....your Basically accusing me of babying my son.....shithead.

Last edited:
There's a trick that I use for trigger groups, assemble the trigger/sear/takedown detent on the bench with a piece of weed wacker line where the trigger pin sits, cut short enough to fit in the receiver. Line holds everything together and in alignment for you to install, then install the pin, pushing out the line.

There's a trick that I use for trigger groups, assemble the trigger/sear/takedown detent on the bench with a piece of weed wacker line where the trigger pin sits, cut short enough to fit in the receiver. Line holds everything together and in alignment for you to install, then install the pin, pushing out the line.
Where the hell were you a year ago? Good tip

Take it how you want it , If my intention was to accuse you of something I would have straight up done so.
My son was field dressing small game and snow shoe hares and cleaning his own guns when he was 11. Shot and field dressed his first deer at 14. He has never even owned a video game system......I raised him to be self sufficient.

Your comment was completely accusational...... don't try yo walk it back.

My son was field dressing small game and snow shoe hares and cleaning his own guns when he was 11. Shot and field dressed his first deer at 14. He has never even owned a video game system......I raised him to be self sufficient.

Like I stated before , it was a simple question , You take it however you please. I haven't ever tried to start an argument on here before , I am here to talk firearms and learn things about them just like most others.

I can read it both ways. I am sure you are a good dad and have a good son. I tend to think he didn't mean any harm. Good luck guys. You are both good guys as far as I know. Last thing we need is in fighting right now

Like I stated before , it was a simple question , You take it however you please. I haven't ever tried to start an argument on here before , I am here to talk firearms and learn things about them just like most others.
See the bold? Your comment had zero to do with learning about fire arms and everything to do with asking me if I baby my adult son.

f*** off.

I'd part out a gun before admit I couldn't reassmble it to a gunsmith. I have considered it too with a cz pcr and ruger mark 2.

I own both of those...I know my limitations on those. The one that really scares me is my CZ82. I've heard horror stories about those.

See the bold? Your comment had zero to do with learning about fire arms and everything to do with asking me if I baby my adult son.

f*** off.
Negative , you're the one that has turned this into whether or not you baby your child. I could care less if you do or don't , that's your decision. Not once during this conversation have I sworn at you , or said anything disrespectful to you.

What shocked me a couple of years ago
was how hard I had to search before I found
an illustrated guide to detail strip and reassembly
of an AR-15 trigger group.

(Yeah, I found one).

But it took long enough that I started to worry that
you couldn't do it outside of an "armory"; without authorization
(or needing some obscure tool that all of you Jig Club members have;
but has no domestic equivalent).

Ah, now I remember. The worst part was getting positive confirmation
that hammer J-pin (J-spring) wasn't some weird thing
that needed replacement after it disengaged the notch
when the hammer pin was driven out.
(Like replacing the drain plug washer on a Honda during an oil change).

Something like that is a ludicrous fear right up until the moment
that you do rip something apart only to discover that
it's got a non-reusable component.
Ain't nobody got time for that.

Mine dressed his first deer out as the same age.
Shot with his Grandfathers black powder at 40 yard right clean though the heart.
Halfway through he said , "I think I might hurl "
I said "Well then turn your head so you don't get any on the meat." [rofl]
He's dressed out a good many more since then.

Mine dressed his first deer out as the same age.
Shot with his Grandfathers black powder at 40 yard right clean though the heart.
Halfway through he said , "I think I might hurl "
I said "Well then turn your head so you don't get any on the meat." [rofl]
He's dressed out a good many more since then.
His first deer was a doe. This was my boys first buck.....he was15 years old. He let that buck get 10 yards from him and smoked him between the headlights. He's no pussy IMG_20171213_110614974.jpg

Negative , you're the one that has turned this into whether or not you baby your child. I could care less if you do or don't , that's your decision. Not once during this conversation have I sworn at you , or said anything disrespectful to you.
Wow.....the OP is already PO'ed because his son's gun is F'ed up temporarily by a stupid pin situation and he needs to dump cash into a gunsmith with his tail between his legs. Then you dump on him telling him his son should have cleaned it. Douchy. Its got nothing to do with the situation. Dont' blame him for getting mad.

I've cleaned /broken many guns for my son because I wanted to do it a few times so I could show him how to clean it without looking like a retard. Ithaca 37 full reciever breakdown and M1 Garand come to mind right away.

All that said, I inherited a cherry Ruger 44 Mag Carbine with period weaver 4 plex on it from my Dad, he hunted VT in the late 60's with it. I guarantee two things, its never been shot a lot (maybe 150 rounds thru the gun since 1968, half of them by me), nor has it been fully broken down. Because before you tube I would have no fing idea, and my dad was never that anal about his firearms other than cosmetically and barrel wise he kept them nice, but full breakdowns, he wasn't messing with unless it didn't fire. Its been cleaned technically the wrong way but still shoots a great group out to 100 yards.

Like some of the guns that I've inherited from him and my uncle I HAD to fully break them down because they were gummed up with old junk oil, firing pins stuck, or etc even though they weren't used that much or fired barely. Odds are I'll have to do that with that Ruger Mag someday and hopefully don't end up in the same boat as Whacko.

I get the point on doing things yourself and learning, but going to a gunsmith on certain tough to assemble firearms should not be a walk of shame. I'd rather go to a smith, then ruin a family heirloom that I cannot in anyway shape replace because they haven't made it in 20 years and parts are about as scarce as an honest politician. I'll pay a few bucks to have it functioning rather than sitting in a box full of parts like some of you would rather do.

My son knows how break down a rifle you f*** faced twatwaffel.

He cleaned it as best he could without a field strip after we shot it.....he didn't have time to do the full field strip because he's away at school and had to go back......i did the rest and will show him the next time....didn't want it sitting for months dirty because the gun isn't going to be used often.

Feel free to go f*** yourself.....a**h***.....your Basically accusing me of babying my son.....shithead.

Lol, You sir win the Internet..Thatā€™s like a post I make after six drinks. And discussing Covid or illegal immigrants..

The rule is if someone says Twatt waffle or skinflint, you have to drink

Lol, You sir win the Internet..Thatā€™s like a post I make after six drinks. And discussing Covid or illegal immigrants..

The rule is if someone says Twatt waffle or skinflint, you have to drink
I Wasn't drinking. The guy was just being a Deusch Nozzle......

All right Iā€™m moving the furniture. You either upset enough to bare fist box over it or get over it....

On an actual related post...I feel like gunsmiths spend most of the time removing choke tubes and other things that people have f***ed up by being impatient rather than just having somebody else do it right.

All right Iā€™m moving the furniture. You either upset enough to bare fist box over it or get over it....

On an actual related post...I feel like gunsmiths spend most of the time removing choke tubes and other things that people have f***ed up by being impatient rather than just having somebody else do it right.
Only one guy upset here , and it sure as hell isn't me.

Update. Gunsmith returned it to me said he didn't want to screw with it. I looked around and called a couple more and they all said no....either too busy or to hell with that old ruger I don't know anything about them.

Well.....I stopped by home depot and bought a set of punches.....a spring compressor.....and a screw driver I had to modify with a file. 2 hours of my son rewinding a youtube vid a millions times for me....another million f bombs.....and soar fingers and I got it all back together. Fml.

Last edited:
Update. Gunsmith returned it to me said he didn't want to screw with it. I looked around and called a couple more and they all said no....either too busy or to hell with that old ruger I don't know anything about them.

Well.....I stopped by home depot and bought a set of punches.....a spring compressor.....and a screw driver I had to modify with a file. 2 hours of my son rewinding a youtube vid a millions times for me....another million f bombs.....and soar fingers and I got it all back together. Fml.
Nice, now hang a sign ā€œgunsmithā€ make some extra $$$$

Back
Top Bottom