• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WaPo: I’m Glad I had a Gun

MaverickNH

NES Member
IMG_2778.jpeg

A gun had nothing to do with the story. A chicken-shit liberal let a criminal walk free to find a next victim. Top Comment is a “combat vet” who deplores civilian firearms - the libs love it when somebody claiming to be a veteran says guns in the hands of citizens are bad, like that proves the point.

”In late April, I was asleep in my house in the District — my spouse was on a business trip — when I opened my eyes and saw an intruder coming to the top of the stairs outside the bedroom. It was about 2:35 a.m. He passed the bedroom door and headed down the hallway.

“Hey!” I yelled. “What the hell are you doing!”
This startled the guy, who seemed disoriented, maybe drunk or high. I saw my toolbox and thought about grabbing something — a hammer, a screwdriver, anything — for self-defense, but in the same instant I also thought that might escalate things.

But I felt I needed to put him on the defensive and gain control of the situation and kept shouting at him to get out…

So I decided to get my gun.

It’s a .357 magnum Smith & Wesson revolver, which I kept trigger-locked and unloaded in a case in a walk-in closet. I retrieved the key hidden nearby but then struggled to find the trigger lock’s pinhole opening without eyeglasses. My nerves were jangling, too, as I huddled against a shirt rack, straining to hear whether anyone was still in the house and wondering where the cops were. After I fumbled with the key some more, I finally turned on a light and unlocked the gun.

I loaded the revolver, grabbed a flashlight and moved quietly toward the stairs. I left the house dark to give myself an advantage but turned on the flashlight so I could see. I was also thinking about the legality of what I was doing. Yes, I had registered my firearms with the D.C. police department after moving from Maryland to the District’s Adams Morgan neighborhood, but there was still a nagging doubt in my mind: Was everything in order? What would happen if, for example, I had unknowingly allowed the registration to lapse?

…I moved back to the stairway and crouched on a step where I could observe what was happening below. He left the sofa and headed deeper into the house. Again, I resolved that if he came up the steps, I would drop him. But then he turned around and left, leaving the front door wide open.

…Then the officers received word that nearby units had stopped someone on the street who fit the intruder’s description. They asked whether I could try to identify the person and, if he was the intruder, whether I would press charges for unlawful entry.

…I told the officers that if it turned out the person they stopped was the intruder, and he had no criminal record or any connection to other calls in the neighborhood that night about possible break-ins, I would not press charges.

..The officers told me he had no criminal record. They assured me that even if I didn’t file charges, the police now had the guy’s information on record for the future. If he was caught prowling inside another house, they said, he would not be able to pretend that the intrusion was another mistake. I declined to press charges, and the officers drove me home.”

Last edited:
Yale grad who claims to speak 4 languages, and got a Fulbright.

For such a supposedly smart guy, he’s quite the moron.

IMG_9781.jpeg IMG_9782.jpeg

And in his marvelously self-congratulatory and woke world the notion that he could easily have been found beaten to death in his own bedroom closet with a key in one hand and a locked, unloaded revolver in the other never quite occurred to him. And it probably never will.

It is not a real story. You can tell by the fact that it took them nearly a year to have it come out into the open.

Umm...Nope. It fails on all tropes. If you defended yourself again someone with as firearm, WaPoi would have reported this shit the next day.

Fails the sniff test.

As an armed citizen, you have the privilege of telling someone to just get out and not shooting them. But not pressing charges after? I dunno what to say there.

It’s baffling. If everyone was like him, the guy wouldn’t ever get arrested. Nobody would be the first to make sure he got a record.

I bet he wouldn’t even feel bad if this guy hurt, raped, or killed someone during their next B&E or burglary.

But I felt I needed to put him on the defensive and gain control of the situation and kept shouting at him to get out…

It’s a .357 magnum Smith & Wesson revolver, which I kept trigger-locked and unloaded in a case in a walk-in closet.

There is so much wrong with this that I am not even going to attempt to comment. This person prolly does not have a gun at all, should not have a gun, nor should write about guns.

Last edited:
Anybody ever notice it's always a SW .357 in these fake ass stories?
It's like they heard about it once in a movie and that's what they use.
They are trying to add detail to make it sound believable and it comes accross as bogus.
"Grabbed my shotgun" is more believable.
A pussy like this won't be owning a magnum either. He's not gonna spend the $$. He ain't buying a used one either, that's beneath him.
Maybe a hammerless .38. He didn't do the research on what gun a pussy like him would own. Then again his target audience is clueless too and eat this shit up.

Anybody ever notice it's always a SW .357 in these fake ass stories?
It's like they heard about it once in a movie and that's what they use.
They are trying to add detail to make it sound believable and it comes accross as bogus.
"Grabbed my shotgun" is more believable.
A pussy like this won't be owning a magnum either. He's not gonna spend the $$. He ain't buying a used one either, that's beneath him.
Maybe a hammerless .38. He didn't do the research on what gun a pussy like him would own. Then again his target audience is clueless too and eat this shit up.
At least it wasn’t a Glock.

I can't believe this is a real story. It's  too crazy,  too many buttons pushed. Show me the Police department that would catch a thief, get positive ID from the victim, and just let him go because "they got his info". No, they wouldn't. Because he committed a crime. It's not up to the victim to press charges or not.

It’s a .357 magnum Smith & Wesson revolver, which I kept trigger-locked and unloaded in a case in a walk-in closet. I retrieved the key hidden nearby but then struggled to find the trigger lock’s pinhole opening without eyeglasses. My nerves were jangling, too, as I huddled against a shirt rack, straining to hear whether anyone was still in the house and wondering where the cops were. After I fumbled with the key some more, I finally turned on a light and unlocked the gun.

. . . After all of that, I found him asleep on my couch with a couple of my Miller Lite's emptied as well as a half-eaten bag of Funyuns.

"Bro. WTF? I've been waiting, like, 20 minutes. You need to keep that gun closer and more accessible - or just use a baseball bat, or your purse." With that, he walked out to rob someone else.

And nothing you folks don't already know: if you wake up to a stranger in your home and you must
1. Find the key to the trigger lock
2. Unlock the trigger lock
3. Load ammunition into your weapon
4. Finally arm yourself for self defense
Then you might as well not even have it.

And nothing you folks don't already know: if you wake up to a stranger in your home and you must
1. Find the key to the trigger lock
2. Unlock the trigger lock
3. Load ammunition into your weapon
4. Finally arm yourself for self defense
Then you might as well not even have it.
Between the indictment of safe-storage laws and the title "I’m glad I had a gun", the whole story is just weird even for WaPo.

Like all bullsh*t stories I’ve ever heard, it’s based somewhat on truth. You have to read the entire article that is linked and you get to listen to his 911 call, so he was broken into and he takes over a minute to tell the 911 dispatcher that it’s a break in and not a friend. So many absurd details he adds to the story that just wreak of bs.

He's upstairs in his home, goes out in the hallway after seeing the guy walk by and he sees his toolbox? I guess that’s possible if he was working on his home and it happened to be out? He then talks about how he struggles to unlock his revolver, then when he does he takes it and walks down a few stairs with a flashlight in his other hand and then suddenly the revolver is “hanging” on his side? Then when he sees the police lights he takes the revolver he now has in his hand and puts it on a shelf and runs outside to talk to the police?

Then he tells cops if guy has no record he won’t press charges and they let him go?

Mike Barnacle school of journalism.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom