fishing license question

i heard that-- there is nothing on the site yet though...i checked.

someone had told me that it would happen this year.

the thing i think sucks about that is that it gives epo's a real reason to hassle you out on the salt.

i heard that-- there is nothing on the site yet though...i checked.

someone had told me that it would happen this year.

the thing i think sucks about that is that it gives epo's a real reason to hassle you out on the salt.

Yea its a federal thing now. It was supposed to be this year, but Massachusetts got a 1 year extension. Most the EPO's arent happy about it, and the one I work with said he wouldnt bother much with it.

At least for the first year or so it will be free also.

Boycott all licenses in MA or you are supporting your own demise.

This state isn't getting another dime from me voluntarily.

i'm all set w/fishing without a license

we fish regularly and have a bass boat.

the licenses help pay to stock the ponds/lakes we go to.

Boycott all licenses in MA or you are supporting your own demise.

This state isn't getting another dime from me voluntarily.

huh?

sooooo, drive with out a license, get arrested, spend thousands in legal fees.

Fish without a license, get fined.

carry a gun without a license, pay thousands for a lawyer, go to jail, meet tiny your new roommate, etc etc.

I will stick to supporting my own demise

huh?

sooooo, drive with out a license, get arrested, spend thousands in legal fees.

Fish without a license, get fined.

carry a gun without a license, pay thousands for a lawyer, go to jail, meet tiny your new roommate, etc etc.

I will stick to supporting my own demise
+1.

Here is a good story in Rod & Reel that is balanced and illustrates the good of these licenses. I am the first to hate the BS that comes with EPOs and anything that adds more excuses for them to harass you is not a good thing. But there is a back story to the saltwater licenses.

They were pushed for by commercial fishermen who, rightly or wrongly, claimed that sport fishermen were responsible for more fisheries management issues than they. It became really clear that no one knew what the sport fishing industry has done to the fisheries. I used to be an avid surfcaster on LI but when I moved to RI before coming up here, I basically gave it up. I couldn't find decent access points to decent fishing. Ironically, I actually caught my first striper on the bass river on the cape (vacation when I was a kid), and I know down there you have decent access to waterfront, but nothing up here in the boston area outside of the charles. Fishing the charles for striper is the only time I have fished "saltwater" up here.

Anyhow, these licenses will provide for better statistical management of the in-shore fisheries. Something that became clear when the commercial guys were blaming the sportsman. No one could refute or confirm the commercial fishing industries claims. So, you may not like it, neither do I, but some good could come of these licenses if implemented right and not abused. I am not holding my breath on that last one though.

DFW operates almost as if they were a private organization. IMNSHO, best mass agency, and, there is a sh*tload of ROI on their budget by sporting citizens.

+1

MassWildlife is AWESOME... ironically the best government agency I have dealt with. Ironically the fishing/hunting licenses are the only state issued licenses I have no reservations about paying for. [wink] The money is actually being used, and if you have everything in order and are polite when an EPO stops to chat with you everything usually goes smoothly.

DFW operates almost as if they were a private organization. IMNSHO, best mass agency, and, there is a sh*tload of ROI on their budget by sporting citizens.

This is soooooo true, they are run completely different and they are all great people. I have put in a request to Masswildlife for more detailed information on this, and will post it when I get it. All I know is that Deval has already tried to mess with it, but didn't get far because of certain laws that state it is to be separate. I will post more information ASAP. I also know that most other states visit Masswildlife headquarters in hopes of emulating how it is run.

I have never met a person from Masswildlife that I didn't have respect for.

Back
Top Bottom