flint and strikers

after watching man vs wild religiously for the past few episodes i thought it would be a good idea to add a flint/striker to my BOB

the question is where can you find the one like Bear uses stateside? i have an advertisement in one of my magazines here for "steel-of-fire"

looks like the exact same thing Bear uses but apparently available only in the UK

i went on their website www.webtex.co.uk but it wont let me on

any ideas???

try checking on www.frugalsquirrel.com (or it might be squirrels - I can't check from here at work). They'll probably have an ad for a vendor who would have it. You might also find it at Old Sturgbridge Village, too. I'd imagine that vendors who specialize in the buckskinner crowd would have them, also.

Not that I would buy from them (anti-gun) but REI sells basically the same thing but I think it is a different brand. If REI sell them then I would assume other outdoor stores do too. But as far as that specific brand I too have only seen them on UK websites.

What about the Doan Firestarter?

http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/doan.html

-Mike

Dicks has them for around 7 bucks.

I've had one for YEARS, and they are great. Shave off about a dimes worth with the back of your knife. Strike the flint so it sparks this, and it will burn quick and hot. But if you have some tender down, it will start a fire, even if it's damp.

Another thing to look at is the Blastmatch. They are incredible. For a small keychain type look for a Boy Scout Flint and steel. They are small and with good tinder work well.

I did buy the 19th century style flint & steel at a civil war reenactment in Millis last year.
Which is my suggestion for hunting down the original old school variety, specifically Pioneer, revolutionary war, and civil war re-enactment gatherings.

It was literally a piece square steel stock curved into a "C" shape by a blacksmith, and a piece of flint. It does make sparks. However I'm going to need to make some char cloth to give those sparks something to catch quickly, like the demonstration I saw several years ago by Hody Porterfield (a.k.a. Longbow) at the Big Texan steak ranch. Char cloth, best I can tell is cotton cloth that has been roasted black in an almost airtight steel container. (like putting it through the natural charcoal production process)

That doan firestarter is great.
You also find it at: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZWA745-347-544.html
campmor.com sells the civilian equivalent, do a search on "magnesium fire starter".

The sparking rod on it is far more prolific in spark generation. Also, if you can't find any decent cotton balls (or moderately flammable tinder), you just shave off some of the magnesium block it is attached to.

I need to go buy me a good old zippo.

Why not carr a ZIPPO?

Ten Billion American GIs caint be wrong. They Carry Zippo Lighters.

They always light and now they are TSA APPROVED! to carry on Aeroplanes

zippo-feuerzeug-lighter-220006.jpg

I carry them in my day sack (Thats a Manley way of saying Fanniepac) with all my other survival stuff.[smile]

Flint is a natural rock found in the eastern United States and other parts. You can just about pick it up anywhere.

atomic-game-2.jpg

Last edited:
Try your local scout shop

A smaller version called the Hot Spark is available from most Scout Shops (as in Boy Scouts.) There's a store on RT 9 in Framingham.

These Hot Sparks work well, as do the Doan magnesium tools. Be sure to pull the cerro stick toward you, not scrape the blade toward the tinder. This way, the tinder stays better instead of being scattered by the motion of the scraper.

Cool way of firestarting.

I just picked up a magnesium fire starter today, tried it in the back yard and it works great. It is small, light and will now be in my pack all the time.

tips

MagnumMike,

Great! now paint the cerro stick liberally (did I just say that) with either nail polish or varnish. The cerro stick corrodes easily if exposed to wet conditions for a long time, The coating will preserve it until needed.

If you practice with it, just re-coat.

Oh, and for tinder, try cotton balls (pure cotton) and vaseline lip balm to extend the flame.

MagnumMike,

Great! now paint the cerro stick liberally (did I just say that) with either nail polish or varnish. The cerro stick corrodes easily if exposed to wet conditions for a long time, The coating will preserve it until needed.

If you practice with it, just re-coat.

Oh, and for tinder, try cotton balls (pure cotton) and vaseline lip balm to extend the flame.

Thanks man nice tips.

best?

I always thought the "best" fire starter was the one that worked to start a fire when you needed it [smile]

That said, there are some real advantages to a starter that you can use one-handed.

Last edited:
I always thought the "best" fire starter was the one that worked to start a fire when you needed it [smile]

That said, there are some real advantages to a starter that you can use one-handed.

If you want to split hairs, this is second best:

http://www.orionsignals.com/Wilderness/Products/backfire.html

If you want the best firestarter, look here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1107178&perpage=40&

BTW, the blast match only requires one hand.

Last edited:
I use the magnesium stuff alot, but have used blast match as well... both great products.
I carry a small ziploc filled with dryer lint which is free and lights fast. I keep a small 24hr bag (colored orange) with all my emergency tools and items that I just transfer from my expedition pack to my climbing/mountaineering pack etc. that way I always have what I need and it never gets left behind.

Back
Top Bottom