Friends or burdens?

So all my friends bust my balls a little bit about prepping, ammo storage, the amount of guns I have, and food storage. I'm not talking about a lot of stuff, just the basics. I laugh, to each his own, right. But how come when bad things happen and the conversation comes up they all say the same thing, " when the shit hits the fan, I'm heading to your house"! All joking aside, I don't have enough of anything for 30 people in a bad scenario to all make it anywhere. Thinking about starting to ask for contributions if they want in the club - if you know what I'm saying.

The problem that I would foresee is that these friends that are laughing and joking that they are coming your way when SHTF may mean it.

If they do are they really going to leave their families behind or bring them and more to your place?

Now multiply that by all of your friends and let it be known you are not prepping for them but you will share info on how-to for them to do the same.

Good luck!

When they say that ask them point blank what useful skills and supplies they would be bringing to the table. I do this and it makes people think. A friends wife said she could teach Spanish. I asked if she had any medical skills, gardening, firearms training etc. She said no. I then told her that she was a useless eater. She didnt like that and said well we wouldnt come here then.

DOnt talk about it unless they are someone you want in your group. That is one of the things that does a lot of guys in. We spend a lot of time and money on our preps and we are proud of them and want to show them off. Most of my friends do not know the extent of our preps. They know I hunt and collect guns. I heat the house with wood because it is cheap not because it is a long term grid down heat. I have a generator because I like electricity. I can foods because we believe in local grown and healthy. That is what I tell them.

Those that do know the extent of them are welcome whenever. If others show up it might be a little food and then down the road. If you truly think they would show up or you want them to show up then create a list for people. Food, clothing, toiletries etc. Give them a ready.gov emergency flier listing all the emergency supplies.

So all my friends bust my balls a little bit about prepping, ammo storage, the amount of guns I have, and food storage. I'm not talking about a lot of stuff, just the basics. I laugh, to each his own, right. But how come when bad things happen and the conversation comes up they all say the same thing, " when the shit hits the fan, I'm heading to your house"! All joking aside, I don't have enough of anything for 30 people in a bad scenario to all make it anywhere. Thinking about starting to ask for contributions if they want in the club - if you know what I'm saying.

Most folks do not know the extent of my planning. I have one friend and fellow USMC veteran who preps as well as I (maybe even better than I). We have contingency plans for him and his family to travel and hunker down at my place if things are untenable at his and vice versa. Our plans also include transporting supplies so that the travelling family does not arrive empty handed. The couple of people who know the extent of my preparations and have made comments to the effect that they will come here if the SHTF have been told in no uncertain terms that they will be unwelcome unless they bring significant supplies. Otherwise, they will be turned away.

When the SHTF, friends and neighbors will become adversaries and competitors.

When Irene came through, did your neighborhood light itself, or was there one generator on the blocck?

If there were a serious glitch in delivery of basic services, the majority of people not in the sticks are going to go to the people that have what they don't, and ask for help. Or take it, or try. You may think that non-prepped people are sheep, but if a family is on the edge of starvation, they'll be more like revaning wolves, or at least the zombie sheep on the targets.

I'm more prepped than some, less than others - but if it's me or someone else I'll go with me. And most others will do the same.

Besides, this was already discussed in a Twilight Zone episode.

When they say that ask them point blank what useful skills and supplies they would be bringing to the table. I do this and it makes people think. A friends wife said she could teach Spanish. I asked if she had any medical skills, gardening, firearms training etc. She said no. I then told her that she was a useless eater. She didnt like that and said well we wouldnt come here then.

motivator4e84df559dce90fb6743efffe5c253b45442d5f2_zpsb2eefeae.jpg

OPSEC... What preps?

Yup, what you have is a massive OpSec failure.

People joke about that stuff. I simply point out that if something really bad happens, going to the home of a person you suspect has lots of guns and ammunition might not be a great strategy, especially if you have nothing to contribute.

That said, many of the people I work with(we're talking serious white bread Bostonians) have generators, emergency kits, and a few have bug out bags.

The world is changing.

When the SHTF, friends and neighbors will become adversaries and competitors.

This. Unless you have a HUGE stash of supplies...it is every man/women for themselves. I would only suggest your family, and any additional people who can contribute SIGNIFICANTLY to the cause.

Last edited:
Hah, first rule of Fight Club...

But seriously, don't talk openly about prepping if you don't want people looking toward you for help when that time comes.

If you can afford it and have room it makes sense to pack a few extra buckets of beans rice and milk. Its really cheap and people will work for food if it gets that bad. I am old and beat up so it is worth a bucket of rice to pay some young dude to cut firewood for me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

some non-prepper friends may still have useful skills and knowledge: medical, technical etc. Don't discount them, but beware of freeloaders.

Commented on my prepping with friends once. The look I got back was enough to teach me never to mention it again. It was like I had all of a sudden changed into a different person or something. I guess it's good this way as I won't have to worry about unexpected guests showing up when things get bad..

To funny, this happened to me today at dinner with a bunch of families. The adults were talking about Iran and how it could unfold, he (long time anti) said he actually had permission from his wife to buy a gun (which is a sure sign hell is about to freeze) I jokingly offered to let him shoot some of mine as I had one of everything (kidding) so he could get a better idea on what he wants. That's when he said "well if things really get bad we will all head over to xxxxxx street". I just calmly /jokingly said my food and supplies are limited are for my family, my bullets are for everyone else trying to take my supplies. There was a silence and then everyone laughed. I said everyone needs to have their own supplies in case of an emergency, a group of people getting together with supplies is a whole different situation than one family trying to support many. They actually agreed....... Which f**king amazed me!!! Several years ago this discussion would have never take place, or I would have been a total nut job. We are moving into different times. The next hour was them asking me how to install a generator like mine, how much supplies are smart to have on hand.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom