Fudd sighting: marshvegas

Not a big deal, but I still felt like sharing.

Lately I've been working a ton in the OR and with a new house and an 18 month old, I haven't been to the range much at all :(

However, today I had a rare day off and got the blessing from wife. I headed down to my club in Marshfield where I have been a member for around 15yrs.

The plan was to test out some per-ban AK mags that I bought a couple months ago. I planed on shooting around 100-150 rounds. After a couple mags, a guy arrives - I say hi to him and immediate offer to stop shooting so he can set up.

As we resume shooting, I notice he's watching me closely even though we are at opposite ends of the shooting bench. After about 15min he strolls up to me.

Him: "you only want to load 6 bullets"
Me:" how many have u been shooting?"
Him "5 to 8"
Me: [slight eye roll]
Him: "ok then" starting walk away

Me:"you know these hold 30 rounds" pulling back the charging handle with a smile
Him: "well mine (he's got what looks like a ruger 1911) holds 8, but I only load 5 just to be safe."

He said a couple other DB type things to me, but overall seemed like a nice enough guy, just a classic fudd

I cant help but notice this is the second time you've brought this Fudd thing up at this range, you need to get the F*** out of there and come over to Hanson. That place sounds like a senior center.

Wait a minute... this thread is 2months old!!!! i'm outta here!!!!!!

Is there any way we could figure out how to get Jerry Miculek down there with a 6 shot revolver for a demonstration on reloading practices?

That would cause the fudds to have an aneurysm, considering that JM is basically a human machine gun. [rofl]

-Mike

I'd pay to see that. Does he ever run a class?

At the MRGC change is slow. But we are trying to move forward. This sunday we are having our first action shotgun shoot. We will be allowed to have 5rds in the gun. This is not just for members. Anyone can shoot. Go to http://www.marshfieldrodandgunclub.com go to events then click on shotgun action shoot on the calendar. See you sunday
5 whole rounds? What are you, an Al Quaida training ground or something? Next thing we know, you guys will be practicing double-taps or something! [laugh]

There's actually a reason that we keep it to single-shot on that particular range, and it's not an NRA thing. It also has nothing to do with competition. If you were actually a member you'd know this.
For those of us who are not, would you like to explain?

At Monadnock Rod & Gun, they have a strict mag round limit.

If your 30-round AR mags aren't fully loaded they call you a pussy and give you a pretty severe wedgie.

My kind of club.

Forewarned is forearmed ....

No, forewarned is half an octopus.
Cthulu2.png

Figured I'd bump my own thread.

Overall, I really like marshfield - beautiful, safe, clean, well run club.

But, it is fudd central. I finally got a day off today and hit the range with my dad. I had my DD SBR and he was shooting a polytech side folder.

After a couple mags, I look up and the range officer had appear. He informed me that any time "they" hear a semi-auto rifle, they start counting. I informed him that, as a long time member, I was aware of the strict 6 round limit and did not violate it. He told me he might have been hearing overlapping fire, but wanted to investigate.

He then told me some horror story about a 20year "kid" who shot off 20 rounds out of a "modified" tech 9. Glancing at my AR, I thought I saw him start to vomit.

Just then, another guy arrived, no hello to me, instead he said sternly "everything ok here?" And then left without a word when the RO told him things were under control.

Again, love the club, but no steel target, 6 round limit, and expect dirty looks if you have anything that looks scary.

Stay safe!

Honestly no club is beautiful or clean enough to put up with crap like that. Safe operation is one thing but that's pure bullshit.

I try not to stick my nose into other clubs' business. That being said, clubs that think like this are stiuck in the old days. The younger generation, by and large, doesn't go to the range to put half a dozen highly precise shots down range and then leave. We burn through a lot of ammo and have a lot of fun doing it. As long as shooters behave in a safe manner and no rounds leave the range there shouldn't be a problem. Any club whose rules don't accommodate this current way of thinking is doing its club members a disservice.

Why would you "love" such a stupid club? Thats like saying I love my racetrack. I can only drive my porsche 10mph and only in a straight line but its so scenic. Who gives a **** how it looks if it doesnt serve its intended purpose.

You guys are more patient than I. If somehow I accidentally wound up as a member one of these places Id be kicked out so fast its not even funny.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Load the 30 into the mag. Let it rip - rinse and repeat until you are asked to leave. Do so and never return.

Just be sure to do it while in the grace period of membership renewal and don't forget to include the date and time in your FU letter with the blank renewal form.

Might as well go out with a 120+ round bang. [smile]

It's a decent club, but there a number of members that get freaked out by "military style" rifles.

Always reminds me of the guy at the Bass Pro counter that said, "No. This is a family gun store" when I asked if they had an ARs.

What in hell is the thinking behind limiting mag sizes at a club? That accidents are less likely on the 6th round than the 10th?

I don't understand at all.

This conversation makes no sense. He tells you to limit yourself to six rounds per mag, then he tells you he has been shooting 5-8.

(This was from a while ago, not today), but to clarify, he was keeping track of many rounds I was loading and it between 5-8 per mags, with the 7 and 8 round loaded being violations.

Just a PM from the RO (who is a member here) and it looks like the guy checking up on me wasn't even the RO (as I thought he said), but just a random member making sure I wasn't loading more than 6 rounds. Wow.

What in hell is the thinking behind limiting mag sizes at a club? That accidents are less likely on the 6th round than the 10th?

(This was from a while ago, not today), but to clarify, he was keeping track of many rounds I was loading and it between 5-8 per mags, with the 7 and 8 round loaded being violations.

Just a PM from the RO (who is a member here) and it looks like the guy checking up on me wasn't even the RO (as I thought he said), but just a random member making sure I wasn't loading more than 6 rounds. Wow.

Maybe that RO could PM me (or just publicly post) and explain the thinking behind such a policy. I don't understand it.

Maybe that RO could PM me (or just publicly post) and explain the thinking behind such a policy. I don't understand it.

I don't want to "out him" but he's reading this thread. Maybe he 'll respond?

What you have to keep in mind is that there are gun owners that fully support AWBs and don't to be associated with black rifles.

Last edited:

Well about the only positive I can come up with in regards to the 10 round mag limit is that it slows me down, and by default saves me (an immaterial amount really) ammo. Maybe this club is trying to help you save money?

If I only have an hour to shoot, and have to reload after 6 rather than 10, I'm saving 40% more than I did with the wild, unpredictable 10 round mag...

This club sounds like the least fun place to shoot in the world. While better than not shooting... It just sounds... Like it sucks all the fun out of it, lol. Only time I've even been questioned is to ask what I'm shooting, but then again, I shoot in a Free State, who has Pits dedicated to enjoying yourself if you don't want to just sit/stand at a line and shoot paper plates.

What you have to keep in mind is that there are gun owners that fully support AWBs and don't to be associated with black rifles.

And as a very wise friend once told me, those people are the reason that RKBA is in the state its in. Its not always about trap and club breakfasts.

Guy that likes ARs is looking for a club. Checks out Marshfield, sees 6 round limit, picks a different club.

IMHO, this is the reason for the limit (discourage people that own "fighting" guns from joining).

A multiple firearms owner told me, "Nobody needs those assault rifles or 30rd. mags." Funny enough, they work so well for the police though...
I got him back to thinking clearly after a little logic session.

I would hope anyone man enough to get in someone else's face at the club who's reading this would be man enough to post in this thread and speak for themselves. I'm not holding my breath.

Guy that likes ARs is looking for a club. Checks out Marshfield, sees 6 round limit, picks a different club.

IMHO, this is the reason for the limit (discourage people that own "fighting" guns from joining).

Fine, and may actually be the case, but it also discourages anyone who remotely enjoys autonomy in their life too, lol.

Maybe I'm rare, but I don't like people telling me what to do. Particularly civilians when I PAY to use the club. I'm fine with "user must qualify on this range so our stuff doesn't get destroyed" and other common sense "let's continue to have nice things" rules... but come on lol.

Just sounds to me like that place needs a new Board.

yep. I was shooting an SAR-1 there years ago - had 3 30 rd mags a 40 and a 10 - a FUDD told me that he'd better never see "them banana clips" ever again or he'd have the range officer confiscate my weapon and call the Braintree PD. When I signed up they said nothing about magazine limits, they only asked that we didn't rapid fire.

I told the guy to pound sand. He said he was personal friends with the club's president. I said I was very impressed and continued to burn through the magazines. He had a few things to say about "disrespectful kids" (I was in my 20s then) and muttered something about the next board meeting. I made sure I was at that meeting - he was nowhere to be found and nothing came of it.

I'm all for safety, was then, am even moreso now. I don't remember ever being so annoyed.

The worst is Braintree. Just about every time on the rifle range (If there was a babysitter, er, Range Officer) there would be some FUDD making a comments.

Fine, and may actually be the case, but it also discourages anyone who remotely enjoys autonomy in their life too, lol.

Maybe I'm rare, but I don't like people telling me what to do. Particularly civilians when I PAY to use the club. I'm fine with "user must qualify on this range so our stuff doesn't get destroyed" and other common sense "let's continue to have nice things" rules... but come on lol.

Just sounds to me like that place needs a new Board.

The president and VP are apparently fighting to change things, but there a lot of dinosaurs that just plain don't like semi-auto rifles.

yep. I was shooting an SAR-1 there years ago - had 3 30 rd mags a 40 and a 10 - a FUDD told me that he'd better never see "them banana clips" ever again or he'd have the range officer confiscate my weapon and call the Braintree PD. When I signed up they said nothing about magazine limits, they only asked that we didn't rapid fire.

I told the guy to pound sand. He said he was personal friends with the club's president. I said I was very impressed and continued to burn through the magazines. He had a few things to say about "disrespectful kids" (I was in my 20s then) and muttered something about the next board meeting. I made sure I was at that meeting - he was nowhere to be found and nothing came of it.

I'm all for safety, was then, am even moreso now. I don't remember ever being so annoyed.

We have 1 (well known to all of us ROs) or 2-3 FUDDS as ROs who hassle people at BR&P. The rest of us ROs own and shoot black rifles, load up full mags, etc. One RO has a bump-fire stock for his AR . . . which really burns the known FUDD RO's ass. Personally I will not shoot on the outdoor range when this FUDD is on duty, regardless of what I brought to shoot. See below for more.

I try not to stick my nose into other clubs' business. That being said, clubs that think like this are stiuck in the old days. The younger generation, by and large, doesn't go to the range to put half a dozen highly precise shots down range and then leave. We burn through a lot of ammo and have a lot of fun doing it. As long as shooters behave in a safe manner and no rounds leave the range there shouldn't be a problem. Any club whose rules don't accommodate this current way of thinking is doing its club members a disservice.

BR&P rules on shooting are strictly about safety. Every month our CRO makes it clear to all ROs present (including Major FUDD RO) that as long as someone is hitting the target reliably we are to leave them alone wrt speed of fire, etc.

-------------------------

To the issue of how the 5-6 rd rules at many clubs came about . . . and this is purely speculation on my part from stories told to me by members of my PREVIOUS club in the mid-1970s to early-1980s. It was common for members (bullseye shooters) to "customize" (gunsmith) their 1911s with no skills and end up with a Full-Auto 1911. Thus the theory that if you limited the number of rounds to no more than what NRA allows loaded for a bullseye match, you limit the potential for damage. It actually makes sense IMNSHO . . . but ONLY when you are checking a gun for function after some work . . . NOT for daily shooting!!

To the issue of how the 5-6 rd rules at many clubs came about . . . and this is purely speculation on my part from stories told to me by members of my PREVIOUS club in the mid-1970s to early-1980s. It was common for members (bullseye shooters) to "customize" (gunsmith) their 1911s with no skills and end up with a Full-Auto 1911. Thus the theory that if you limited the number of rounds to no more than what NRA allows loaded for a bullseye match, you limit the potential for damage. It actually makes sense IMNSHO . . . but ONLY when you are checking a gun for function after some work . . . NOT for daily shooting!!

Reminds me of the monkeys, bananas on the ladder, soaking with the hose story

kdu77.jpg

tl;dr "That's the way we've always done things around here"

I don't understand FUDDery. My little spat at BR&P made me not renew when it was up and I had moved away anyway. Had I stayed in the area, I'd have gone elsewhere. What kills me is that they're as bad as the antis with their hate of all things semi auto. You'd think you were talking to Shannon Twatts herself when they tell you that there is no need for a magazine that can hold 30 rounds.

I know its a generational thing. I know its coming from a time where there was never any threat of losing on what is a civil right. I just wish they understood full well that its not about this rifle or that rifle, that their .30.30 is just as at risk as my Glock, as your Bushmaster, but to hear them talk, they are little more than ill informed cheerleaders for .gov and the ignorant PACs like MDA and the like.

Its very,very hard to respect my elders when my elders intentionally lead me astray.

Back
Top Bottom