Glock 30

Man, this thread was the last thing I needed to see. I had finally been able to overcome my obsession about wanting a G30. I was even able to fire a friends a couple of weeks ago without getting all giddy over it. I did like shooting it, but I didn't "have to have one". Now reading all these love stories and I'm right back to "needing one". Thanks for nothing...

-Cuz.

Thanks for the pics. As I suspected, the size difference isn't much between the two and it's alot thicker which makes it even more difficult for me. But I do realize we're talking 45acp here.

Man, this thread was the last thing I needed to see. I had finally been able to overcome my obsession about wanting a G30. I was even able to fire a friends a couple of weeks ago without getting all giddy over it. I did like shooting it, but I didn't "have to have one". Now reading all these love stories and I'm right back to "needing one". Thanks for nothing...

-Cuz.

Don't mention it. That's what we are here for.

[smile]

I guess u could say I lucked out then at Four Seasons last week.
Like NIB condition Glock 30 Gen 2.5. Came with Original box, 8 mags, Foubus owb holster and mag holster. a little pricey, but it's in great condition.

was on consignment. If seller is on these boards, thank you!

I guess u could say I lucked out then at Four Seasons last week.
Like NIB condition Glock 30 Gen 2.5. Came with Original box, 8 mags, Foubus owb holster and mag holster. a little pricey, but it's in great condition.

was on consignment. If seller is on these boards, thank you!

Son of a......I was there last week and asked if they had seen any. I was either too early, or too late. Sounds like a good deal with all those extras. How's it shoot?

Ricochet,
I feel ur pain. Same thing happened to me one of the nights last week on a Glock 23 and a 19 they had posted on their used list website. Went in after work around 5 and they were gone...the place was a mad house. The next day i continued to check their website and others. The 30 was listed around noon, I called ahead for a courtesy hold and was amazed when they brought it out.

I think the trick with them is continually check the site if you're really looking for something and call ahead for a temp hold. One of the guys commented to the other "these glocks are going out as fast as they are coming in".

I took it and my new M&P40 to AFS yesterday in north attleboro. My first two mags with the glock 30 had Federal HSTs loaded. I had two double feeds. Probably "user error" (i.e. not firmly seating the mag or maybe limp writing). I am still not sure. Looking for other theories on that one. I also put 50rounds of WWB and Blazers through it. No malfunctions. Overall, the Glock30 seemed manageable, comfortable, and very accurate. I am a novice shooter so I can't give you any "group measurements" from a performance standpoint that would mean anything, but I can say on the silhouette targets I kept all rounds in the "zone"(head/torso) at moderate shooting pace at 7-10yrds. Considering I've never shot a .45 before or a glock and the bottom of the barrel ammo...it's more of a testament to the Glock.

The M&P40 felt like a completely different gun..i know that sounds like a big "duh" to most...but for me it was somewhat of a surprise given all Glock/M&P analogies I have been reading. I haven't had time to bring it for a trigger job yet, but after yesterday I can almost say it's a must, at least for me. My accuracy and performance with it right outta the box was sub par at 10yrds. Again, I'm a novice so take it for what it's worth. From a "feel" standpoint, the M&P just felt a lot lighter than the Glock.
Hanwei, I'll post some pics tonight.

I took it and my new M&P40 to AFS yesterday in north attleboro. My first two mags with the glock 30 had Federal HSTs loaded. I had two double feeds. Probably "user error" (i.e. not firmly seating the mag or maybe limp writing). I am still not sure. Looking for other theories on that one. I also put 50rounds of WWB and Blazers through it. No malfunctions. Overall, the Glock30 seemed manageable, comfortable, and very accurate.

If there's one thing that will cause a glock to fail to extract or feed... it's limp wristing. [grin] Ammo doesn't matter either. Hold on tight and I bet you don't have any more failures.

The M&P40 felt like a completely different gun..i know that sounds like a big "duh" to most...but for me it was somewhat of a surprise given all Glock/M&P analogies I have been reading. I haven't had time to bring it for a trigger job yet, but after yesterday I can almost say it's a must, at least for me. My accuracy and performance with it right outta the box was sub par at 10yrds. Again, I'm a novice so take it for what it's worth. From a "feel" standpoint, the M&P just felt a lot lighter than the Glock.
Hanwei, I'll post some pics tonight.

I had the same reaction firing the M&P for the first time. I was used to Glocks. The M&P was surprisingly comfortable in my hand... pointed nicely as well. But the one thing I didn't care for was the trigger. And it wasn't the weight of the pull... it was more an issue of HOW the trigger pulled. It just seemed like a long pull... and then somewhere towards the end of the trigger pull the gun would just go off. There was no discernible break point. It's the same with Kahr's.

I prefer my glock trigger the most out of any handgun I own. Only because once you start the trigger pull.... you take up the slack... then there is a point where the trigger stops... and you KNOW that after you break that point the gun will fire. Love it. It just "makes sense" to me.

Anyway... I suppose I'd get used to the M&P trigger if I had one... but man, did that sour me away from buying one [grin]

And yeah... the G30 is a LARGE gun! It will definitely feel bigger and heavier than the M&P.

Looking forward to the pics!

I took it and my new M&P40 to AFS yesterday in north attleboro. My first two mags with the glock 30 had Federal HSTs loaded. I had two double feeds. Probably "user error" (i.e. not firmly seating the mag or maybe limp writing). I am still not sure. Looking for other theories on that one. I also put 50rounds of WWB and Blazers through it. No malfunctions.

Keep in mind, feeding problems related to slide velocity run both ways: you can limp wrist a gun, shoot down graded ammo, and/or let the weapon get very dirty and you may get failures.

However, you can also get failures from too high of a slide velocity. This is the reason why +P ammo often comes in with the highest number of failures in "professional" tests. These people are shooing brand new, clean guns, with perfect shooting grips.

You should put a couple hundred rounds of FMJ threw it and then try the HPs again, if it isn't 100% reliable there is a problem. A G30, while compact, is pretty heavy and should not be a super sensitive to limp writing as more lightweight models (i.e. G36). You should expect 100% reliability.

IMG_0215.jpg

Keep in mind, feeding problems related to slide velocity run both ways: you can limp wrist a gun, shoot down graded ammo, and/or let the weapon get very dirty and you may get failures.
[/IMG]

Mass-diver,
If you started by cleaning a Glock when you first got it, do you know how many rounds you would have to put thru it before it got dirty enough to cause failures? I don't, and I've got a couple that are going on 2 years without a cleaning, and they get shot very regularly. If you are having a feeding problem with a Glock, it is very unlikely because it's dirty. I'm betting on limp wristing since it's operator error as opposed to the gun. If it's an old gun than a good place to start would also be replacing all the internal springs. That would be pretty cheap, and give you a good starting baseline.

-Cuz.

Mass-diver,
If you started by cleaning a Glock when you first got it, do you know how many rounds you would have to put thru it before it got dirty enough to cause failures? I don't, and I've got a couple that are going on 2 years without a cleaning, and they get shot very regularly. If you are having a feeding problem with a Glock, it is very unlikely because it's dirty. I'm betting on limp wristing since it's operator error as opposed to the gun. If it's an old gun than a good place to start would also be replacing all the internal springs. That would be pretty cheap, and give you a good starting baseline.

-Cuz.

I was just talking in general as the poster I was referring to was asking for some possible reasons for double-feed failures.

With that said, while I do occasionally clean my glocks, my Father has a few that he has not cleaned in a very, very long time (in fact I'm not sure if he even knows to)and, as you have experienced, the do not fail at all despite high round counts.

So, I would certainly agree that it takes quite a bit of dirt to stop a Glock. We have all seen the torture test testimonials. However, yy experience with the G30 has been that it is not that sensitive to limp wristing. In fact, I'm not able to reproduce a limp wrist failure in my G30, unlike just about every other gun I own. Still, this could be the issue for the poster having trouble, although, personally, I'd be hesitant to carry a pistol that didn't fire if my grip wasn't perfect. Most of the time this classic issue is about the G36 and not the G30.

Either way, it's pretty unusual to hear reports of G30 failures, particularity with high quality ammo. Malfunctions are often very frustrating and I hope it works for Offisland.

I was just talking in general as the poster I was referring to was asking for some possible reasons for double-feed failures.

... However, yy experience with the G30 has been that it is not that sensitive to limp wristing. In fact, I'm not able to reproduce a limp wrist failure in my G30, unlike just about every other gun I own. Still, this could be the issue for the poster having trouble, although, personally, I'd be hesitant to carry a pistol that didn't fire if my grip wasn't perfect. Most of the time this classic issue is about the G36 and not the G30.

Interesting you mention the limp wristing problem as being more prone to the G36. I got to fire a friend's new G36 just this past weekend and he was getting feeding failures when he fired it, but never when I fired it. When I mentioned that he may be limp wristing it he was unaware of the term and what it meant. Once I explained it and he was aware of it the problem went away and the gun worked flawlessly. It just goes to show you that you have to hang onto the gun if you want it to work for you.

-Cuz.

So, how does the G26 compare to the G30? I've been looking at getting a baby Glock, and I remember shooting Vic's G30 and thinking it was amazing.

I've been trying to talk my mother into a baby Glock also; it's something she can take to the range, but still carry on a daily basis. Unfortunately, she's still recoil-shy and a 9mm is a bit too much for her.

I prefer my G26.
It's noticeably lighter than the G30 when you carry it.
It's thinner so if you carry IWB it won't bulge out as much.

You're just lucky I didn't owe you a nut kick. I could have delivered it and left before you even recognized me. Chance meetings with those owed nut kicks are the best.

[rofl] should have gave him one for me. because of his PM's about NKOB songs he suggested from his iPod.

A few years back I shot a friends Glock 30 side by side with a full size 1911 (steel framed). I was surprised to find that the Glock 30 seemed to have no more felt recoil than the 1911.

I still don't like the Glock trigger and grip circumference remains just a bit too big for me. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom