Glock and Mech Tec questions

sal

NES Member
Just want to start off by saying that I have had no experience with GLOCKS. I am currently thinking about buying a Glock 17 and then a Mech-Tec carbine conversion. I want this combo mainly for when the club has bowling pin shoots with rifles and to plink with the 17.

So if anyone has any experience with these items your input would be greatly appreciated.

I have a buddy that has the Mec Tec for the Para P-14. He loves it. Hell, he loves it so much that I've been thinking about picking one up for mine.

I've shot his and it's very accurate. The only thing is that in the butstock, there's this very aggervating ping sound everytime that you shoot it..

If you've ever shot an AR-15, it's like that but worse. But I found that the more that you shoot it, the less you notice it.

Now, I don't know how it works with a Glock. But I would think that it would be close.

Thanks for the input. Not sure which one you want but Wilson has theirs on sale for 230.00 if you have a 1911.

It's been my experience that heavier bullets work better for bowling pins. For pins, I prefer .45 over 9mm.

For reasons unknown to me, my Glock 17 (an early model) is quite inaccurate. My Glock 23 and Glock 34 are far more accurate. It's probably something to do with my particular gun, rather than the model.

The reason that I am thinking of going with the glock is because of magazine capacity. When I was watching the match I payed attention to a couple of guys who had 9mm carbines and they seemed to be knocking them down ok. If I were to shoot with a handgun I would definitely use a 45. Thanks for the input.

I thought about the para. It was recommended by some of the people shooting that I get something with at least a 20 round mag but it would be better to have a 30.

The reason that I am thinking of going with the glock is because of magazine capacity.
The pin matches that I've competed in used 6 pins at 25 feet. Perhaps your matches are different.

In my experience, the key to a pin match is to not miss -- you can't miss fast enough to make up for not hitting the pin. Magazine capacity is non-issue; if you're missing that much, the other guy has already cleared his table.

Most of the guys that I competed against at my club could use a 17 round mag and I'd still beat them with my 7+1 M1911. And I'm NOT that good (as anyone who has seen me at the Riverside IDPA matches will attest).

If you want a Glock 17, go ahead and get it. But for a pin match, I'd much rather have something with a better trigger and a heavier bullet.

Makes sense to me as far as the 1911. They do use more than 6 pins but I think it maybe only 10 so c-phers suggedtion of the para makes sense.
I havent made up my mind as to what Im getting.
I am going to see if I can find a double stack para and then get the wilson conversion as it is on sale.

1911: Just curious as to what would be the minum caliber you would use for pins.

Well, I think you can probably guess my favorite caliber ;)

Don't count on me as a "pin expert" however. I've only shot pins 1/2 a dozen times or so.

Back
Top Bottom