Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
The above is key and what I alluded to above. I can't predict what they will do or when "they might get around to it". I know that Comm2A is just waiting to drop that second shoe if they drag their feet. [smile]

Forget about dropping the second shoe, throw it at them. Hard.

My impression from meeting him a couple of times is that he is a fair man and will do the right thing. HOWEVER, someone (CJIS/EOPS) has to define the process for doing "the right thing" or any app gets thrown back to the chief and goes nowhere. Translation, if CJIS says "no, they go thru us at Chelsea" then the local chief's efforts will go nowhere . . . and it will take many more months for all aliens to get interviews and process paperwork to get "no concealed carry allowed" permits from Chelsea.

If aliens get shuttled through Chealsea instead of being treated like every other lawful citizen there will be a commensurate response.

If a COP denies your LTC for the town you live in can you take your case to the state? Is there any amount of money it would take to buy someone off to get your LTC? (what I mean is, can you pay a bunch of lawyers and go thru a bunch of hoops to eventually get one through the state?)

If a COP denies your LTC for the town you live in can you take your case to the state?
You can appeal to a judge.

Is there any amount of money it would take to buy someone off to get your LTC? (what I mean is, can you pay a bunch of lawyers and go thru a bunch of hoops to eventually get one through the state?)
Appeals are sometimes successful, but the track record isn't great.

Has anyone had any experience applying in Norfolk? I plan on going tomorrow to drop off my application and want to be prepared with anything extra they may ask for

Got my response this morning from the Mayor of Chicopee. He stated that the MGL allows the chief to make the decisions in his juristiction. So nothing new here and no surprise benefit. I am sending a letter to the Chief today, I hope he responds favorably.

Got my response from the Chief this morning. I was told that they will consider removing the restriction at the time of my renewal in 2018. Terriffic! Next step anyone?

Has anyone had any experience applying in Norfolk? I plan on going tomorrow to drop off my application and want to be prepared with anything extra they may ask for

Did you drop off your application yet? According to this thread, there shouldn't be anything that is "extra." If you haven't dropped off your application yet, I would suggest giving the Licensing Officer a friendly call and asking him/her what the requirements are for your city and if there's anything else you need to do to prepare ahead of time.

I'm going to guess that 2018 is when his license expires [wink] so perhaps, upon his first renewal, he may or may not get restrictions lifted. I suggest moving, if you really care about that restriction.

Hmmm. My license is only good for 5 years...

Hmmm. My license is only good for 5 years...

NLT 5, NMT 6 years. Per MGL depending on when you initially applied as it expires on your birthdate. If it is a renewal, they screwed up and you should have them fix it. That happened to me a long time ago and I forced my chief (at that time, NOT a friend) to change it. He called me a PITA and offered to instead give me a free renewal, but I insisted and won. He also retired before next renewal happened, so his promise was worthless anyway.

NLT 5, NMT 6 years. Per MGL depending on when you initially applied as it expires on your birthdate. If it is a renewal, they screwed up and you should have them fix it. That happened to me a long time ago and I forced my chief (at that time, NOT a friend) to change it. He called me a PITA and offered to instead give me a free renewal, but I insisted and won. He also retired before next renewal happened, so his promise was worthless anyway.

Thanks for the explanation. It was a new application and I applied close to my birthday so that explains why it is closer to 5 years than 6.

Got my response from the Chief this morning. I was told that they will consider removing the restriction at the time of my renewal in 2018. Terriffic! Next step anyone?

Wow, sorry. When I tried the 1st time with mine, they told me to try back in a few months, which I did. I am glad they didn't or haven't told me to wait till renewal. [rolleyes] Fight it if you can and have the means to.

Anyone apply for a LTC-A in Natick recently. I am just finishing my safety course and getting ready to apply for first time. Also what is the best way to answer the question on why you are requesting a LTC-A? Thanks

Anyone apply for a LTC-A in Natick recently. I am just finishing my safety course and getting ready to apply for first time. Also what is the best way to answer the question on why you are requesting a LTC-A? Thanks

The issue isn't getting an LTC-A. The issue is getting an unrestricted LTC-A. I have no doubt that you'll be able to get an LTC-A out of Natick. Whether or not it is restricted is another matter.

You'll have to look to yourself about how to answer why you want an unrestricted license. Are there reasons why you would be more at risk than someone else? What training do you have beyond basic safety? Do you know when you can (and when you cannot) use deadly force?

Thanks for the quick reply. This is not the first time using handguns, just the first time that I want to get a LTC. I spent a lot of time in Texas and Florida, working construction in the boonies, and had plenty of time shooting both hand guns and rifles. Have also spent time in Washington State at shooting ranges. Now that I am a family man I want to have protection for my family as part of my emergency preparedness. Main reason is to be able to protect my family in the event of relocating to our safe house. Use of LTC is for protection of life and all legal purposes, NOT FOR PROTECTION OF PROPERTY.

So how hard is it to get an unrestricted LTC-A in Natick? Anything thing special I should know that would help with LTC-A Unrestricted? Once again appreciate your help and information.

Thanks for the quick reply. This is not the first time using handguns, just the first time that I want to get a LTC. I spent a lot of time in Texas and Florida, working construction in the boonies, and had plenty of time shooting both hand guns and rifles. Have also spent time in Washington State at shooting ranges.
Do you have any documented training in defensive shooting? Not "me and my buddies at the range," but a training class with a recognized instructor? What do you know about the laws of self defense?

So how hard is it to get an unrestricted LTC-A in Natick?
That's unclear. It used to be hard. Some folks recently have had it very easy. I think I heard about someone who recently had a problem in Natick, but I may be confusing it with Framingham.

No, but that is the next training that I want to do. Self defense in the home and outside the home. I really want to go about this the correct way. As you rightly noted "Not just with me and my buddies at the range". I am a little older, and hopefully a little wiser", and have a great deal of respect of owning a gun, especially if it is to be used in self defense. Do you have any recommendations on good self defense courses? This is something I am not taking lightly and want to get as much training as possible. Really want to do it the RIGHT way, not just to protect my family, but to act responsibly towards other peoples rights as well.

Sorry wasn't trying to derail this thread just wanted to know if Natick was green or Red and like other comments on this thread what the process was like. Sorry! I guess I need more training!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Do you have any documented training in defensive shooting? Not "me and my buddies at the range," but a training class with a recognized instructor? What do you know about the laws of self defense?

No, but that is the next training that I want to do. Self defense in the home and outside the home. I really want to go about this the correct way. As you rightly noted "Not just with me and my buddies at the range". I am a little older, and hopefully a little wiser", and have a great deal of respect of owning a gun, especially if it is to be used in self defense. Do you have any recommendations on good self defense courses? This is something I am not taking lightly and want to get as much training as possible. Really want to do it the RIGHT way, not just to protect my family, but to act responsibly towards other peoples rights as well.

I teach the NRA Personal Protection in the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home, but I would be real reluctant to hand off a copy of those NRA certificates to a chief/licensing officer!! It could come off as a yahoo, cop wanna-bee . . . however if asked if you had any training, then I would recommend offering up that info.

Both the PPIH and PPOH classes will be listed in the Training forum. Next PPIH will be the end of June, PPOH is both the following weekend and the end of July. They are both good courses that go into the ethics, what you should expect in the aftermath as well as lots of shooting exercises.

Scituate should be changed to red, based on these posts.

I don't know if this was already said but Scituate is a red town just went in a few days ago to apply for LTC-class A ALP and the SGT told me the only issue LTC-A for hunting and target.

Scituate is currently listed as green. One of my dad's friend's who has lived in the town forever and had an ALP/no restriction for many years was just given "hunting and target" for his renewable. He was told "from now on we are only giving carry permits to small business owners. What's the problem, you want to carry a gun like us?"

and latest @April 13th 2012
Just picked mine up scituate 8 weeks dropped it off feb17th picked it up today april 13th just shy of 8 weeks restricted hunting and target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom