• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd be surprised. If you haven't called in 2 weeks I would definitely be placing a call first thing in the morning to find out something. Hopefully you live in a green town, even though at times, I am sure they have their moments. [thinking]

Gave them a call today, got the answering machine. The LO is a really nice guy, just impossible to get in touch with. I have hopes that he'll call back in the next couple days, but we'll see what happens. I probably shouldn’t even be worried about anything but I just want to know if I got approved or not, as much as waiting for the actual license sucks, it would be a hell of a lot easier if I KNEW that it was coming.

Mike98,

You have posted in a public forum that you are willing to buy a gen4 glock 23, and are willing to trade your gen3 Glock 23 plus cash. Not for nothing, but if I were the licensing officer and I read your posts, it would imply that you already have guns without a LTC. That to me sends a red flag.............on you, not the issuing department. Just my .02.

Mine isn't due till August, but my PD only has open hours for FID/LTC once a month for an hour.

I'm thinking of going in the next month or so and getting mine in now to get the ball rolling after hearing of all these wait times. [thumbsup]

Got mine today and I'd say Bedford is still Green.

Even though I'm stupid and put "All Lawful Purposes, Target Shooting, Recreational Use" as the reasons on the application, I was still issued an LTC-A No Restrictions. Overall process took about 8 weeks after getting finger printed and photographed (maybe around 12 weeks all together).

Just spoke with a local licensing officer and they tell me there is one person at state who does the fingerprint checks. So if that person is sick,or takes a vacation day, or one of those many holidays that Mass.gov workers gets - well..... There's your delays adding up and applications are not slowing down at all from what I hear.

North Andover is confirmed RED yet again. Applied for my LTC Class A- ALP.
I knew the officer quite well who was in charge for LTC applicants as well as using my towns "unofficial mayor" as a reference.
The officer said, you'll be getting LTC A with a target and hunting restriction, regardless of your Reason(s) to carry.
He said they are not issuing ANY unrestricted unless its ex-police/military. He also said there were 7 more applicants after me and they're all getting restricted.
Such a shame, shall issue should be changed to "shall issue with restrictions... if we want."

North Andover is confirmed RED yet again. Applied for my LTC Class A- ALP.
I knew the officer quite well who was in charge for LTC applicants as well as using my towns "unofficial mayor" as a reference.
The officer said, you'll be getting LTC A with a target and hunting restriction, regardless of your Reason(s) to carry.
He said they are not issuing ANY unrestricted unless its ex-police/military. He also said there were 7 more applicants after me and they're all getting restricted.
Such a shame, shall issue should be changed to "shall issue with restrictions... if we want."

"ex police/military"....how does equal protection under the law apply here?

I would imagine he was being tongue in cheek.
Tongue and cheek indeed. Not necessarily saying specifically in MA but anywhere. There are loopholes and excuses for everything from those in charge, law or not.
"ex police/military"....how does equal protection under the law apply here?
Also, I have no idea. That's what I was told and I wasn't going to argue with an officer. I'm a first time applicant so I guess I'll have to deal with a hunting and target restriction until I can reapply.

Milford is still green! LTC-A Restrictions: None. Was told it would take 6-8weeks, I got it 7 weeks to the day. Printed and interviewed same day I dropped off application. Very profesional, very polite and curteous.

Milford is still green! LTC-A Restrictions: None. Was told it would take 6-8weeks, I got it 7 weeks to the day. Printed and interviewed same day I dropped off application. Very profesional, very polite and curteous.
Nice to hear! Got my first FID in Milford back in the mid-90s. Nice little oasis of green we've got here.

So tomorrow will be 6 weeks since my application was turned in and I was printed at the station. The LEO I met with advised that they have been taking about 6 weeks to come back. The town hasn't cashed my check yet, should I follow up with the PD tomorrow or today?? or just play it cool and wait another week or so? I have a friend that lives 2 towns over and had his meeting a week before I did and picked up his LTC last week, so it seems like 6 weeks is accurate, I just don't know how quickly my info was sent into the state? Just looking for opinions. Getting anxious I guess...

One of my students just received a Class A Unrestricted from Worcester. He had been previously denied in another town that claimed he was not a resident. Other than that he had no special circumstances (other than a great instructor).

Welcome to Massachusetts, where there is one person to do everything in the state. Wonder what would it look like it that was the same when you to the registry for the whole state.

Just spoke with a local licensing officer and they tell me there is one person at state who does the fingerprint checks. So if that person is sick,or takes a vacation day, or one of those many holidays that Mass.gov workers gets - well..... There's your delays adding up and applications are not slowing down at all from what I hear.

I have a good friend who waited 4 months in west bridgewater. He ended up getting no restrictions. Quite the wait, they kept blaming the state.

Watertown has done it again...

A friend is applying for his renewal in Watertown, and as y'all know they require a safety course for each renewal. So he and I went through the NRA Home Firearm Safety course and I gave him his paperwork. Well, it turns out that's not enough anymore. Now they want a copy of *my* instructor certificate. !!?!?!? WTF? My signature and credentials are on the paperwork, which they can verify with the state police already! This is *clearly* just making obstructionist hurdles. How many absurd hoops, hurdles, and roadblocks can a city put up before they're in clear violation of the law? More than this, I guess, they could simply decide that nobody, under any circumstance, is "suitable" and only issue FIDs.

The real kicker is that my friend is both an active State and NRA certified instructor, (he still has to take a course he can teach?) and a jewelry maker and dealer, so he's got a bunch of really valid reasons for wanting an unrestricted permit, but I bet he'll still end up with a "target" restriction. :(

OK, lets begin the count down. Went to the police to renew my LTC last night, officer indicated that they're running late from the state police 6-8 weeks or longer. I believe that the legislated number of days is 40 (yes, no). Mine expires in ~60 days, but when I travel for vacation I like to have the option to buy something interesting which isn't likely with an expired license despite the "90 day grace period". We'll see. I'll begin calling mid-July.

Well, I turned my application into Braintree today and I was told that I would have a restriction on my class A for target and hunting. I suppose I will have to find out what the final verdict is in 6 weeks, but I am pretty bummed at the moment. He told me that protection of self and family inside and outside of the home is "not a valid reason." He asked if I was going to be doing anything else with and I told him I am going to join a local gun club to continue to work on my shooting skills. After than he pretty much told me I will have a restriction on my license. I was told that if my job required it or if I traveled through dangerous parts of the city on a regular basis he may change it to unrestricted. Hopefully the Chief will just issue it unrestricted, but I have my doubts.

Picked up my LTC A no restrictions yesterday at the PD. Took 8 weeks to get it in from my interview. Funny thing was I called on Saturday (officially 8 weeks from my interview) and was told that I would be called when it came in. When I expressed concern that 2 friends that live 2 towns over had only taken 6 weeks, I was told that it's not the town its the state. One friend went a week before me and got his on the 6th week, one went 2 weeks after me and had picked his up on Saturday (both in Taunton). When I pointed out that someone went 2 weeks after me and had already gotten theirs I was told that the state takes forever.

While I didn't want to argue with the contradiction that he had just made I just let it be. By 9 am on Monday I got the call, so I am sure it was there on Saturday when i called but no one looked. On a better note the volunteer that helped me when I went to pick it up after work was very friendly and helpful and actually asked how long I had been waiting.

Now if i hadn't just dropped a bunch of money on some projects around the house I would be off to the local shop, I guess I'll have to put that off for a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom