Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though Plymouth is yellow, my recent dealings with the chief would pull toward the green side. He has been easy to deal with and addresses applicants on a case by case basis. That is probably why there is conflicting reports.

Can you elaborate on the "case by case basis"? What does he define as a suitable person to obtain a LTC? What kinds of things are disqualifies? Thanks for all your help on the red towns.

Woburn is blazing red under the new chief. Extremely thorough investigations are done with regard to residency and place of business. Site visits, interviews with landlords and neighbors seem to be the norm.

Looks like a Top Secret Clearance check. That's just absurd and a waste of police manpower and money.

I have dealt with him regarding clients with current and past problems (suitability issues). He is receptive to alternative solutions (i.e. a reasonable cooling off period after a domestic), and takes proactive steps i.e. calling a chief from another town who originally issued and suspended the license of one of his residents in order to get the full story rather than just what the record reflects.

I do not have the red/green statistic for you but I can tell you that a chief like this may be swayed by reasonable arguments against impositions of restrictions.

Green means recognizes the rights of everyone without special cajoling.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

jar said:
Green means recognizes the rights of everyone without special cajoling.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

I'll take issue with your statement. That SHOULD be the definition, but it is not.

'Green' only means that the town routinely issues unrestricted LTCs. Many, many so-called 'green' towns make a habit of violating your recognized Second Amendment rights by making them contingent upon superfluous non-statutory requirement designed to be obstacles.

If I have to write a letter to my chief explaining why I want to own guns, or why I 'need' one, or if I have to ask people to attest to my good character for for I can exercise a fundamental right, my rights are being violated.

Bold Green usually Issue "Class A" "ALP"

Bold Red May Issue and/or are difficult to obtain a "Class A" "All Lawful Purposes" usually give out restricted such as "Sport and Target"

Cities in Bold Black are almost Impossible or impossible to Obtain a "Class A" usually issue a "Class B" or "FID"
Cities in Blue are still awaiting member feedback at this time.

Cities in Orange have conflicting or inconsistent information or experiences.

Looks like a Top Secret Clearance check. That's just absurd and a waste of police manpower and money.

Yes, that is the case. Brookline (and now apparently so does Woburn) does more than what the FBI does for security clearances up to TS.

I'll take issue with your statement. That SHOULD be the definition, but it is not.

'Green' only means that the town routinely issues unrestricted LTCs. Many, many so-called 'green' towns make a habit of violating your recognized Second Amendment rights by making them contingent upon superfluous non-statutory requirement designed to be obstacles.

If I have to write a letter to my chief explaining why I want to own guns, or why I 'need' one, or if I have to ask people to attest to my good character for for I can exercise a fundamental right, my rights are being violated.

The problem is, 3 colors isn't enough to encapsulate all the varieties of BS of 351 licensing authorities. I agree that having to do those things are a violation of your rights. Some green towns are better than others. My contention is that a town that issues to some and not others most definitely isn't green by any standard.

I'd grade towns as follows:
1: issues unrestricted licenses to all non-prohibited applicants with no non-statutory requirements, in the statutory timeframe
2: issues unrestricted licenses to all non-prohibited applicants with no non-statutory requirements, sometimes busts the statutory timeframe due to staffing levels
3: issues unrestricted licenses to all non-prohibited applicants who jump through their non-statutory hoops
4: issues unrestricted licenses to some people based on various extra requirements / conditions, restricted A to all other non-prohibited applicants
5: restricted As for all
6: B-rammers / no issue

1 is obviously green. Based on the standards of the thread, I think 2 and 3 are as well. 4, which is how Jesse described Plymouth, most definitely is not green.

My local LEO stopped by and gave me my LTC no restriction. Westhampton is a very green town. It was about 6 weeks from the time I went in with my application.

Woburn is blazing red under the new chief. Extremely thorough investigations are done with regard to residency and place of business. Site visits, interviews with landlords and neighbors seem to be the norm.

Jesse,
Were these activities for LTC - Target and Hunting or were they for LTC - A unrestricted? Did you meet with Feruello yet or were you info gathering? Have you successfully worked with this COP and had a client receive an unrestricted LTC - A, who was not a business owner, had a gang after him/her, or was responsible for making large cash deposits? So for so money questions but I am toying with the idea of trying to get my restrictions lifted if possible.

The Way It Should Work = Girlfriend Calls For LTC Appointment Response From Marshfield Police Is Come In Tomorrow Afternoon. Now She Can Buy Her Own Guns And Stop Shooting Mine.

Sorry i didn't get to this earlier but I had an easy go with it in Peabody. I'm not sure if it is because of the fact this is my 4th renewal plus I have ccw from other states but I submitted my renewal app on March 20th received a phone call from the background officer on the 21st returned call on 22nd he called again on 22nd wanted to know when I was available to come in. Worked he and I were both avail then so I drove down and spent about 10-15 minutes in his office chatting while doing paperwork. He was pleasant and informed me that the ccws were slow to come in lately and that although my permit was expiring in about 6 weeks I should be covered by the grace period. I received my class a non restricted on April 26th. Again not sure if I am really lucky or Peabody is going green.

I try to get unrestricted licenses for all my clients as a general rule. With the specific instance I referred to in Woburn, the issue was not restrictions but rather jurisdiction. I have not met with the chief yet. Yes, I have been able to obtain unrestricted licenses for clients not falling under the requirements you mentioned.

Thank you for the info. I will call your office to set up an appointment.

Thanks again for all your efforts in this area.

South Hadley remains Green. I went by the station tonight and picked up my new license.

I went down there to ask where it was. The dispatcher looked in his file and it was waiting for me. I guess someone forgot to call and let me know it was there.

New to the forum and I am going for my LTC-A ALP license next Monday. I know that Holliston is a green town just hoping for some pointers on how to go about my interview.

Middleton is absolutly a red town. I am embarrassed to say that I am currently a resident here. The chief is one of the rudest, most ignorant officers I have ever delt with. Me and my fiancé just applied for our class a. We are both first timers but we both have a substantial amount of firearms experience. I had two police references and she is a veteran. The chief would not even give us the opportunity to argue the point. We are young (both 24) but you would figure with our backgrounds and experience he would be a little more understanding, not only that but we had to wait over 2 weeks just get our interview with him after he blew us off. I am probably just venting but after our experience we are more than likely moving in the near future and re-applying. If you are a first timer do not apply to middleton and expect to get a class a its a waste of time.

I went with a friend to drop off his application and the chief was visibly bothered by the fact that "someone" was applying for a gun license. My friend got told the same story, only class B for 1st time applicants. Maybe this is a black town?

New to the forum and I am going for my LTC-A ALP license next Monday. I know that Holliston is a green town just hoping for some pointers on how to go about my interview.
Welcome, Shannon! Be honest, be friendly and make sure that your name and address are spelled correctly on the form ONLINE before the officer submits it!!

Got my Class A with no restrictions from Haverhill a month or so back.
I was 128th on the list for interviews when I called.
It was a Detective doing only 8 interviews every Thursday.
A week or two later the Detective got some help to clear out the back log of interviews in the form of a younger Sergeant. Luckily, I was one of the first people the Sergeant called to set up an interview.

Actual timeline:
24May:Left voicemail (numerous repeat respectful voicemails requesting interview date)
4Jun: Call back/appt set for 16Aug (made with Detective)
26Jun: Completed interview (Sgt called 25June with an opening the following day)
8Aug: Picked up License

Overall, the process was smooth considering the under staffing. Everyone I interacted with was professional, relaxed and respectful. I got exactly what I gave them in terms of attitude.

IMO, being respectful and prepared with the proper paperwork (filled out or at the ready)went a long way.

I was extremely pleased with the whole experience.

Last edited:
Longmeadow will issue class A w/ no restrictions, but they first require Handgun Techniques course at Smith & Wesson at 150.00 cost.

Ditto. If you only take the basic safety course they will issue an LTC A with "sporting" restriction. Once you take the advanced handgun techniques they will upgrade you to no restrictions. Not too bad IMHO -- especially since they have a pretty quick turnaround of 3-4wks.

Ditto. If you only take the basic safety course they will issue an LTC A with "sporting" restriction. Once you take the advanced handgun techniques they will upgrade you to no restrictions. Not too bad IMHO -- especially since they have a pretty quick turnaround of 3-4wks.

Requiring you to purchase service from a specific company prior to exercising a fundamental right is 'not too bad'? How far we've fallen.

I just had to take the basic course to get no restrictions, which is still one more step than should have been required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom