Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can put Windsor down as green.

I got my Class A, no restrictions there at age 21 (5 years ago), and just went to the PD to ask when I should submit my renewal. They told me when to submit it and even said they would push it through for me, as the state has seemingly been taking longer than usual.

What does the "bold" part mean ?

Last edited:
Sorry, but that isn't an option for them as I understand MGLs specifically and 2A more broadly. A delay in processing is understandable, within statutory limits, but refusing to accept applications and process them in a timely fashion isn't one of their options and frankly bad customer service.

I sincerely hope this was a miscommunication. If not, then a word to your state rep and selectman should clear it up quickly.

They are going back in a month to try again. Thing is they just moved from Vermont and are outraged they need to ask for permission from the COP as it is. They have been gun owners for over 40 years, and have not moved their collection to MA yet, due to having to take a safety course and apply

They are going back in a month to try again. Thing is they just moved from Vermont and are outraged they need to ask for permission from the COP as it is. They have been gun owners for over 40 years, and have not moved their collection to MA yet, due to having to take a safety course and apply
Well, If they move there guns into MA AFTER they become residents they'll need to fill out an FA-10 for each one.

Chicopee UPDATE: Chief Charette (new acting Chief) is seemingly a bit more reasonable than Ferarro was. I sent a letter to Charette requesting removal of my arbitrary "Sporting" restriction and he called and agreed to a face to face meeting. During the meeting he was rather nice and understaing but said he would consider over the course of the following week and he requested that I call. I called him today only to find that he would NOT be removing the restriction at this time. So, same old for western MA cities - will issue Class A but with restrictions for all. Chicopee = Still RED in relation to restrictions.

Well, If they move there guns into MA AFTER they become residents they'll need to fill out an FA-10 for each one.
I think Kiver meant to say that his friends moved into MA WITH their guns, which are being temporarily held for them by a duly licensed friend until they get their licenses, at which time they'll regain possession of them without needing to file any FA-10s. [grin]

What does the "bold" part mean ?

I believe that in the context of our conversation (which was that lately LTC applications and renewals had been taking longer lately), they meant that they would make sure they sent out my renewal to the state right away.

Our town police station is open 2 hours a week, and only one night a month do they process LTC/FID applications and renewals. Therefore an application or renewal can sit for quite a while before any action is taken on it.

I found this in an archived MA Chief Newsletter. Not sure if its old news, but perhaps it will help those trying to get their restrictions removed in some towns/cities that may consider it at all. (link and portion of newsletter below)

http://www.masschiefs.org/documents/April 2010 Newsletter.pdf

LTC Restrictions
[COLOR=rgb(13.725000%, 12.157000%, 12.549000%)]LTC’s are issued for all lawful purposes subject tothe restrictions (if any) the chief deems appropriate. Notethat many departments currently issue an unrestricted license.The intent is not to encourage concealed carry, but simply toplace the burden for lawful behavior on the licensee. If thelicensee does something inappropriate that deservessuspension, the license is suspended regardless of a restrictionor lack of a restriction. Restrictions allow communities somelatitude regarding licensing because some chiefs havedetermined that certain restrictions work best in theircommunities. It should be noted however that many chiefshave needlessly caused themselves considerable headachesand political problems over this issue. It should beunderstood, that a chief doesn’t reduce his liability by issuinga restricted license. Liability is only increased by failing tocomply with the statutory licensing requirements or exceedingone’s authority regarding how those licenses are issued orregulated. [/COLOR]

Chicopee Residents,

In an effort to remove and stop blanket LTC restrictions in Chicopee, MA I am putting together a petition to give to the acting Chief, Mayor, Senator, and Representative. If you live in Chicopee and support the removal of confusing restrictions please follow the link to sign the petition.

http://www.change.org/petitions/city...-carry-permits

Thank you in advance for your support and please encourage other residents to follow suit.​

From what I've heard from friends who live there, Whitman is still pretty green. I can't imagine a retirement of the licensing officer would change things all that much there.

Chief May-Stafford has been the COP for a few years now and will be there for a long time, being that she was something like 31 years old when she made chief.

Apparently, I missed this...future now in doubt...

http://www.enterprisenews.com/topstories/x1225005654/Whitman-police-chief-stepping-down

Chicopee Residents,

In an effort to remove and stop blanket LTC restrictions in Chicopee, MA I am putting together a petition to give to the acting Chief, Mayor, Senator, and Representative. If you live in Chicopee and support the removal of confusing restrictions please follow the link to sign the petition.

http://www.change.org/petitions/city...-carry-permits

Thank you in advance for your support and please encourage other residents to follow suit.​

Good Luck, Go Get Um [thumbsup]

Waltham
First time applicant for LTC. Dropped off my application on Monday 6 Aug and had my meeting with LO Modica today (8 Aug). The interview was half an hour and consisted of inputting the application into the computer, going over the questions (mostly yes or no), and explaining the process. LO Modica was very polite and straightforward. He explained that while I applied for an unrestricted class a, the CoP's policy in Waltham is to give out hunting and target restricted permits for first time applicants. He said that upon renewal, after a 6 year "probationary period", I can apply for an unrestricted permit. I dont agree with this, but its their policy so I accepted it. He said I can expect my permit in 6-10 weeks and that they'd call me when it came in. All in all the process is not bad in Waltham, and LO Modica was very prompt and seems like a good guy. I wish they issued unrestricted permits for first timers, but it is what it is.
Terrence

West Bridgewater. Still Green. First time applicant. Exceptionally long time from application drop-off to interview to receiving LTC in-hand (but thats a topic for another thread).

I'm coming up on my 1yr anniversary of having my "Hunting and Target" restricted LTC-A in Woburn and am becoming more and more frustrated with my lack of rights.
Has anyone had luck getting restrictions removed recently?
If so, how did you manage it?

Received my LTC-A in Somerville today. I'm a new MA resident and pleasantly surprised to receive a license for all lawful purposes. I was told on the phone to expect hunting and target restrictions. I have a CCW permit for another state, which may have helped my case.

Received my LTC-A in Somerville today. I'm a new MA resident and pleasantly surprised to receive a license for all lawful purposes. I was told on the phone to expect hunting and target restrictions. I have a CCW permit for another state, which may have helped my case.

that's nice to hear. Somerville has bounced around between green and red recently. Unfortunately, the green days were short lived. Did you have any other "special" considerations, such as being a small business owner, etc?

Nope, no other considerations. In fact I was asked specifically whether I needed it for my job, to which I responded no. I simply tried to express training/experience with firearms and awareness of already holding a CCW permit.

Start a petition. Send the signatures to the Chief, Mayor, and Legislature. Thats what I'm doing for Chicopee.

Maybe you could combine efforts. One set of 50 signatures sent to two different government bodies has more weight than 2 sets of 25.

Nope, no other considerations. In fact I was asked specifically whether I needed it for my job, to which I responded no. I simply tried to express training/experience with firearms and awareness of already holding a CCW permit.

Interesting. They've done this before but have been telling people recently to expect restricted.

Maybe you could combine efforts. One set of 50 signatures sent to two different government bodies has more weight than 2 sets of 25.

Why would a down care about signatures from people somewhere else? Not that an online petition has ever changed anything anyway, so knock yourself out.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Why would a down care about signatures from people somewhere else? Not that an online petition has ever changed anything anyway, so knock yourself out.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

I pretty much agree with you. It is a nice way to feel like you are doing something but I've never heard of them amounting to anything either. That's my jaded 2-cents.

I found this in an archived MA Chief Newsletter. Not sure if its old news, but perhaps it will help those trying to get their restrictions removed in some towns/cities that may consider it at all. (link and portion of newsletter below)

http://www.masschiefs.org/documents/April 2010 Newsletter.pdf

Thanks for posting that. It was a very well written piece. I just hope COP's will not only read it, but adopt some if not all of the suggestions.
I took the liberty of posting just that piece from the newsletter so people can read it without scanning the whole newsletter.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62758819/April%202010%20Newsletter.pdf

Thanks for posting that. It was a very well written piece. I just hope COP's will not only read it, but adopt some if not all of the suggestions.
I took the liberty of posting just that piece from the newsletter so people can read it without scanning the whole newsletter.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62758819/April%202010%20Newsletter.pdf

That's old news -- as you can see that issue is from 2010. Ron Glidden has recommended to chiefs for years that they issue unrestricted licenses. As you can tell by the number of towns that are red, many chiefs don't follow his advice.

This week, my son got his LTC-A, no restrictions in about 7 weeks from Shutesbury. First timer, 22, no hassles. I really feel for some of you guys and frustrations you must feel just to exercise your legal rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom