• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! I have been in Medfield for about a year, originally in Westwood (red). Does anyone have any info on Medfield?

Thanks for the time.

Hi everyone, new to the forum! I completed my basic firearms safety course recently. I currently live in marlborough, but will be moving to hudson in mid-september. I'm wondering if it's worth it to try to apply for my class A now or wait until I move. I know the time frame can be anywhere between 3 and 10 weeks, any input on these towns and what you recommend? Thanks!

Hi everyone, new to the forum! I completed my basic firearms safety course recently. I currently live in marlborough, but will be moving to hudson in mid-september. I'm wondering if it's worth it to try to apply for my class A now or wait until I move. I know the time frame can be anywhere between 3 and 10 weeks, any input on these towns and what you recommend? Thanks!

I'm not sure how long your BFSC is good for, I would think a year, but don't go by that, check with your instructor.

As far as going for your LTC I would wait till you are moved to your new town/city to save yourself the hassle of doing it twice.

Only thing that might change that thought though is if Hudson is a PITA to get a LTC ALP. If I remember right you will still need to get a new one from your new town, the only reason to do it twice will be like I said, if Hudson is a PITA at least you will allready have a LTC ALP (if your 1st place gives it to you).

Good Luck [thumbsup]

Someone else that knows the law better, please chime in..............

Last edited:

Welcome to NES!

Hudson has only recently been reported as "green", while Marlborough has historically been "green".

Personally, I would apply in Marlborough.

I'm not sure how long your BFSC is good for, I would think a year, but don't go by that, check with your instructor.

I also heard it is good for one year

As ba2 said, there is no statutory expiration, though it's ultimately subject to the discretion of the IA.

As far as going for your LTC I would wait till you are moved to your new town/city to save yourself the hassle of doing it twice...If I remember right you will still need to get a new one from your new town...someone else that knows the law better, please chime in..............

Once a LTC is issued, the original Issuing Authority" retains control until expiration.

There would be no re-application required, the OP would merely have to submit a COA.

As ba2 said, there is no statutory expiration, though it's ultimately subject to the discretion of the IA.

That is what I have heard of in the past, the Cheif only taking it if it was under a year old, and then being a PITA if it was more than 6 months. But I haven't heard of that for awhile.

Once a LTC is issued, the original Issuing Authority" retains control until expiration.

There would be no re-application required, the OP would merely have to submit a COA.

As I said I couldn't remember if you had to. I remember one Chief giving me a hard time before about it, he also didn't renew my LTC with "Personanal Protection" (way back when it was that) because I was no longer a LEO, he said I could only have Target & Sport.

I then moved to a new town and renewed early so I could get ALP again.

Of course that was a Cheif that got busted for a bunch of illeagal stuff and run out of town too, so it just shows what type of guy he was..................

I'm going to apply tonight for mine on Whitman. Does anybody know if its still green? I know the guy who used to give them out retired earlier this month and don't know if it will be a pita or not

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to apply tonight for mine on Whitman. Does anybody know if its still green? I know the guy who used to give them out retired earlier this month and don't know if it will be a pita or not

anyone have any recent info on medway? first post says green, but i cant fine anything recent saying that's still the case. just trying to get a feel for what im in for.

Have word from a co worker that foxboro gives a restricted class a.(about a year ago) He was told to come back in a year since he had his did since he was 15. He is 26 now

Im not shocked, at best, Foxboro is a mustard yellow. I had a HS friend get no restrictions there, and he suspects it was due to his military service.

Hey new to the forum. Just some information on Haverhill as that is where I am applying for my Class A. I called Detective Corthell last week to set up an apointment to fill out my application for me and my wife. The police website says apointments on Thursdays only but he said he is so swamped with applications he has a couple of other detectives doing interviews to help him out. My apointments are for Monday afternoon......he sounds very professional and the fact that he is overbooked with requests for Class A and is bringing other officers on to help is encouraging! My wife and I have been considering carry licenses for about a year now and finaly got around to getting into a class and applying.......FYI my current applications are NOT in response to the Colorado shooting mess! I am currently a full time member of the Mass Guard and have plenty of shooting experience in the past.....my wife is new to handguns but did very well in the class and a couple of occasions that I went to a range in NH to rent some pistols and show her the ropes! Shoud be picking up a couple of S and W J frame .38s in the near future!

I was just informed West Springfield is not currently taking applications. We are in between Chiefs right now and the lady that used to do the gun permits recently retired.

Last edited:
I was just informed West Springfield is not currently taking applications. We are in between Chiefs right now and the lady that used to do the gun permits recently retired.
Sorry, but that isn't an option for them as I understand MGLs specifically and 2A more broadly. A delay in processing is understandable, within statutory limits, but refusing to accept applications and process them in a timely fashion isn't one of their options and frankly bad customer service.

I sincerely hope this was a miscommunication. If not, then a word to your state rep and selectman should clear it up quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

From what I've heard from friends who live there, Whitman is still pretty green. I can't imagine a retirement of the licensing officer would change things all that much there.

Chief May-Stafford has been the COP for a few years now and will be there for a long time, being that she was something like 31 years old when she made chief.

Last edited:
That's downright outrageous.

So what do they do with renewals? "Sorry, you're now illegally in possession of all your guns because we couldn't renew you within he grace period."

OfficerObie59 said:
True, but maybe if they forewent "interviews" they could get more done.

New Bedford calls it an "interview" but all they did was type the app info into the computer, take a bad photo of me from too far away and ink my fingers up....

'course it's also their policy to issue restricted for your first license....

whacko said:
I am currently a full time member of the Mass Guard and have plenty of shooting experience in the past.....

Welcome to the forum, former Mass Guard here (TAB, Rehoboth) and a veteran with plenty of shooting experience... Unfortunately that counts for squat with some cheifs (sporting restriction here....) Don't know offhand if Haverhill is green or not... Good luck.

New Bedford calls it an "interview" but all they did was type the app info into the computer, take a bad photo of me from too far away and ink my fingers up....

'course it's also their policy to issue restricted for your first license....
If they are definitely going to issue you restricted regardless, why even bother interviewing then?

Welcome to the forum, former Mass Guard here (TAB, Rehoboth) and a veteran with plenty of shooting experience... Unfortunately that counts for squat with some cheifs (sporting restriction here....) Don't know offhand if Haverhill is green or not... Good luck.

TAB Battery in Rehoboth was just shut down and moved to the NH Guard! Haverhill is definately green from what I hear and from my conversation wtih Detective Corthell.......says point blank you either qualify A ALP or you don't. It is more the meeting to get you printed and photographed!

That's downright outrageous.

So what do they do with renewals? "Sorry, you're now illegally in possession of all your guns because we couldn't renew you within he grace period."

The one thing they will NOT do is confiscate post-grace period gun owners guns! In spite of what many here think, the LAST thing they would want would be for a judge to ask them "why is this renewal applicant post-grace period?" and getting told "we don't have the manpower to do our jobs in a timely fashion!"

I recall Taunton doing this and GOAL and some legislators brought down the Fist of Thor upon them and they changed their tune. That is what has to be done here. GOAL MUST be notified immediately as well as all the elected officials for that town and this policy will change very fast.

The one thing they will NOT do is confiscate post-grace period gun owners guns! In spite of what many here think, the LAST thing they would want would be for a judge to ask them "why is this renewal applicant post-grace period?" and getting told "we don't have the manpower to do our jobs in a timely fashion!"

I recall Taunton doing this and GOAL and some legislators brought down the Fist of Thor upon them and they changed their tune. That is what has to be done here. GOAL MUST be notified immediately as well as all the elected officials for that town and this policy will change very fast.
Agreed. And it's not just the wrath of GOAL and individual legislators that the state wants to avoid.

This would open up a legal can of worms that the Commonwealth is very eager to keep off the table. Remember, the exercise of this fundamental right is illegal in Massachusetts unless a person qualifies under an exception that permits then to exercise that right. You have to prove that you meet an exception that allows you to exercise your Second Amendment rights. I'm not being snarky, that is how the law is written.

The last thing the Commonwealth wants to do is have a court rule against them in such a way that they have to do a total re-write of 269-10 and parts of Chap 140. This problem came to the attention of the US Supreme Court last year and although they didn't grant cert, I'm sure it's on their radar.

Hi to all of you,

New member here, I am glad I found you guys, a lot of good info found here. Ok, so I filled out the app and dropped it off at PD yesterday around 2pm, got a call the same day at 7pm from the licensing officer asking me if I could go down today for the interview. I will keep you posted how the interview goes today.

:)

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I guess i'm concerned because I may very well end moving before the whole process is complete in my current town, and I think would be likely to piss off local LE.

You can put Windsor down as green.

I got my Class A, no restrictions there at age 21 (5 years ago), and just went to the PD to ask when I should submit my renewal. They told me when to submit it and even said they would push it through for me, as the state has seemingly been taking longer than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom