Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
ummm, yeah. The laws didn't technically make it easier to ALP, but they did make the ability to contest it more clear. Maybe thats what he means?

- - - Updated - - -

ummm, yeah. The laws didn't technically make it easier to ALP, but they did make the ability to contest it more clear. Maybe thats what he means?
What police think the law says can sometimes be more important than what it actually says

looking to apply in Lowell

I have and expired certificate form Canada and a hunter's safety from Canada as well as a NRA Basic pistol class.

not sure if I should apply for a FID to a LTC. I'm not really planning to carry but would like the freedom to.

more concerned about being denied due to lack of courses and wasting 100.00

thoughts ?

looking to apply in Lowell

I have and expired certificate form Canada and a hunter's safety from Canada as well as a NRA Basic pistol class.

not sure if I should apply for a FID to a LTC. I'm not really planning to carry but would like the freedom to.

more concerned about being denied due to lack of courses and wasting 100.00

thoughts ?

Just make sure you NRA basic pistol course instructor is a MA State Police certified instructor!

FYI: Winchendon had a Police chief change over in the past year or so. They are now issuing Class A unrestricted with out much prior work. Was able to get mine just by applying with 'All Lawful Purposes'. (I applied in Feb, was issued in hand first week of April)

Interim NB chief supposedly has been issuing, and re-issuing licenses unrestricted, i was told all you have to do is send an email and new licenses have been showing up in the mail....

So an update for Newton...I know for sure that with renewals, Newton is issuing unrestricted LTCs because mine is unrestricted. Quick process too, considering how long some towns make you wait. Called to make appt on Feb 8th. Got appt on Feb 11th. Picked up my unrestricted LTC from Newton PD on March 21st.

So an update for Newton...I know for sure that with renewals, Newton is issuing unrestricted LTCs because mine is unrestricted. Quick process too, considering how long some towns make you wait. Called to make appt on Feb 8th. Got appt on Feb 11th. Picked up my unrestricted LTC from Newton PD on March 21st.

What are they issuing for first-timers?

I talked to a friend of mine who moved from Canton to Sharon about three years ago. She had a Class B in Canton. When she renewed in Sharon, the new chief did her interview and pretty much told her she was getting an unrestricted Class A. Which is what happened. I didn't ask her how long it took, but can find out. It seems that Sharon has turned green.

Stoughton has an interim chief, so it's status is unknown. It's always been green except for a short period of time when a different interim chief issued restricted licenses for new applicants. I have a niece who is applying for her LTC there, so I'll ask her what the process was like.

Turned in my App today to Weymouth PD. Licensing Officer put ALP on the App, no issues there. He did say due to the increase in applications, to expect 90 days turn around.... That sucks.

Weymouth is issuing unrestricted now? Nice.

Turned in my App today to Weymouth PD. Licensing Officer put ALP on the App, no issues there. He did say due to the increase in applications, to expect 90 days turn around.... That sucks.

that doesn't necessarily mean you will get an unrestricted that just filled in the section where you have to tell them why you want it

Comm2A kind of reigned in Weymouth, as well as a couple of other towns. http://comm2a.org/index.php/55-projects/102-davis
Lawsuit was dropped due to the towns changing their policy.

Weymouth does like Boston, fills in the form on the computer and hits submit while you are present. Unless background is bad, looks like that is what the town is willing to give, which was the stumbling block before. Meaning they didn't pull the "sorry, we only give restricted" BS.

Comm2A kind of reigned in Weymouth, as well as a couple of other towns. http://comm2a.org/index.php/55-projects/102-davis
Lawsuit was dropped due to the towns changing their policy.

Weymouth does like Boston, fills in the form on the computer and hits submit while you are present. Unless background is bad, looks like that is what the town is willing to give, which was the stumbling block before. Meaning they didn't pull the "sorry, we only give restricted" BS.

This.

When the PD "fills int he app" it means the online app they have to enter all the info into. Unless they bait and switch you, you're going to get ALP if they didn't put anything else in the restrictions field, basically. But, experiences my vary.

This.

When the PD "fills int he app" it means the online app they have to enter all the info into. Unless they bait and switch you, you're going to get ALP if they didn't put anything else in the restrictions field, basically. But, experiences my vary.
Yep, and due to the lawsuit the old bait and switch is highly unlikely. I would be one PISSED OFF constituent. Unfortunately (or fortunate for me), I am also not your average Joe Schmo going for a LTC. Had one in two different states before that I let lapse (I know, stupid me) and am related to a few cops, and a former State Rep, and have held DOE security clearances and a TWIC. So my background is so clean it squeeks, LOL. Also, due to the many YEARS of having a background check done, they likely will get a return of clear pretty quick. Not that that is the reason for any hold up....

Yep, and due to the lawsuit the old bait and switch is highly unlikely. I would be one PISSED OFF constituent. Unfortunately (or fortunate for me), I am also not your average Joe Schmo going for a LTC. Had one in two different states before that I let lapse (I know, stupid me) and am related to a few cops, and a former State Rep, and have held DOE security clearances and a TWIC. So my background is so clean it squeeks, LOL. Also, due to the many YEARS of having a background check done, they likely will get a return of clear pretty quick. Not that that is the reason for any hold up....

Wrong assumption.

Security clearances are done by different agencies and that info is NOT shared with LE. I have independently confirmed this years ago, as I had DOD, AEC/NRC and Naval Reactors security clearances for a very long time myself and was curious.

Every background check is done from scratch, both at state, multi-state (III) and federal levels. And every renewal is done the same way.

If they want to put the effort into it, your background can be done in a matter of minutes instead of weeks/months. If you are stopped for speeding they don't take 3 weeks to do a background on you, it's done almost instantly (except they don't do a mental health check in these cases). The same can be done for licensing IF THEY WANTED TO, but they don't care so things are done very slowly. So even adding the mental health check it shouldn't take more than a week or two.

Processing LTC/FIDs is not considered a "priority" by most PDs, so they sit until they have "spare time", thus the long and variable waits from town to town.

I am also not your average Joe Schmo going for a LTC. Had one in two different states before that I let lapse (I know, stupid me) and am related to a few cops, and a former State Rep, and have held DOE security clearances and a TWIC...

Good for you.

They don't care about any of that shit. Guaranteed.

Not sure but I would think webster would be green. I was very basic and staight forward.

most likely sent from my bathroom

They don't care about any of that shit. Guaranteed.
Yep, as usual, reading comprehension on forums are still lacking. No idea what it is about the "web" that causes people to fail to read the whole statement. Re-read my last line.
TL;DR I agreed in my original statement on the last line, and am just busting your balls, LOL.

Yep, as usual, reading comprehension on forums are still lacking. No idea what it is about the "web" that causes people to fail to read the whole statement. Re-read my last line.
TL;DR I agreed in my original statement on the last line, and am just busting your balls, LOL.

Ok if you agree with me, then why mention it in the first place? Do you always go around willingly contradicting yourself??

New to this forum and I could use some advice on my renewal... (sorry if this one's been covered already, not sure where to look). I obtained my original LTC (unrestricted) from Framingham and it expires in December. Since then I moved to Mashpee as my permanent residence after a divorce (I got the vacation cottage, she got the house) and I changed my address as I was supposed to do (notifying the PD of both towns and the state). I just bought a home in Marlborough which will become my permanent residence, but I am going to keep the cottage in Mashpee. So my question is, do I need to move my address and make Marlborough my permanent address for my LTC or can I keep it with Mashpee (which appears to be a more favorable "no restriction" town)? Sorry for the long-winded question, but I'd hate to make a mistake and find my unrestricted get changed to a restricted unnecessarily because of my move. I'd appreciate any advice from the folks on this forum who appear to know their stuff. Thanks.

New to this forum and I could use some advice on my renewal... (sorry if this one's been covered already, not sure where to look). I obtained my original LTC (unrestricted) from Framingham and it expires in December. Since then I moved to Mashpee as my permanent residence after a divorce (I got the vacation cottage, she got the house) and I changed my address as I was supposed to do (notifying the PD of both towns and the state). I just bought a home in Marlborough which will become my permanent residence, but I am going to keep the cottage in Mashpee. So my question is, do I need to move my address and make Marlborough my permanent address for my LTC or can I keep it with Mashpee (which appears to be a more favorable "no restriction" town)? Sorry for the long-winded question, but I'd hate to make a mistake and find my unrestricted get changed to a restricted unnecessarily because of my move. I'd appreciate any advice from the folks on this forum who appear to know their stuff. Thanks.

Since you've defined the Marlboro house as your residence, I think you've answered your question. Where will you vote? Where will you tell the IRS you live? Unless both of those are Mashpee, you're a Marlboro resident.

When you move to you Marlboro, you have to notify the Marlboro PD, the state, and the Framingham PD, because they're the one who issued your LTC. Mashpee doesn't matter, because they didn't issue it.

The restrictions can't change until you renew your licence.

The restrictions can't change until you renew your licence.

Not true. Getting restrictions removed prior to expiration is a fairly common occurrence. :)

In another thread, regarding Batty v. Albertelli, people have said that Winchester has been placing restrictions on previously unrestricted licenses prior to the license coming up for renewal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom