Gun Cleaning "hardware"

s4mt3k

NES Member
So far I've bought a couple gun cleaning "kits" as I was purchasing a gun. Obviously that's not ideal due to redundancy and well ending up with a ton of boxes.

How do you guys handle having multiple length/caliber rods, mops, wirebrushes....

Is there a gun cleaning thing that's equivalent to say; a socket holder?

Pictures/links/thoughts are all appreciated.

Thanks!

Get a couple of good cleaning rods, then buy bore brushes and cleaning jags for each caliber.

That's kinda what I was thinking, how do you keep all your diff calibers separated? I mean, you might be able to hold a brush and tell me what gun it's for but I'm far from being there :(

I just bought a cheap multi-cal cleaning kit from Wal-Mart, and it has suited me just fine. I can clean just about any caliber I may own in the foreseeable future, and everything has its own place in one box except the solvent and oil.

Yeah, actually, that's the exact one I own, except in a wooden box. It's cheap as shit, but it works just fine. The only thing I will add is that I bought a nylon brush and brass brush that are not included with the kit (forgot about those during my first post), but I keep them in the original package and they just sit in the closet next to the box with the oil and solvent.

Boresnake.

HA! never heard of that just googled it, seems like it could also be good for me

they used to have the same one in a wooden case for cheaper--i think that's where some of my brushes came from.

And they're decent brushes hopefully? Sure not the top of the line, but good enough I mean?

I have a tool box with all my cleaning stuff. I've started taking old Rx containers, labelling them by caliber, and putting the jags/brushes in there.

That's not a bad idea either!

Yeah, actually, that's the exact one I own, except in a wooden box. It's cheap as shit, but it works just fine. The only thing I will add is that I bought a nylon brush and brass brush that are not included with the kit (forgot about those during my first post), but I keep them in the original package and they just sit in the closet next to the box with the oil and solvent.

Sounds like 2 votes for that case from you and Atilla. Does it have a .380 brush?

Sounds like 2 votes for that case from you and Atilla. Does it have a .380 brush?

I think yes, but I'd like to check when I get home later before I say for sure. I don't currently own a .380 so I haven't used it.

ETA: I take it you can't use the same brush for .380 that you would for 9mm Luger? Because it definitely has a 9mm brush.

If you wouldn't mind checking I'd appreciate it. Just got my fiancee her Bodyguard 380 and would like to clean it, that's what prompted this thread.

This might come across as a noob thing to say but: I wanted to use my 9mm, but the kit I have for my 9mm says .357, 9mm, & .38. Should I??

Well, the rods hang at the end of my work bench. I have a bullet tray from a box of .45 Colt or .44 Mag that has bore brushes and jags in it, keep the smallest ones on the left and move right as they get larger. Really do not use the mops much. There is a wire mesh cup next to the slop sink the holds all the other oassorted brishes and picks. Works faily well.

This might come across as a noob thing to say but: I wanted to use my 9mm, but the kit I have for my 9mm says .357, 9mm, & .38. Should I??

I would think it's ok, I know you can use 9mm Luger to clean 9mm Makarov, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do the Kurtz round too. No worries about noobish-ness though, I've asked all sorts of (what I would perceive as) stupid questions here and learned a lot because of it.

a .380 is the same diameter as a 9mm--the overall length and projectile is what makes it different. you're set.

edit: see way above. all three of us seem to be frantically slamming F5 to talk about 9mms... is there a bear around or something? [laugh]

Sweet, I'll clean the gun with the 9mm brush. Thanks a lot guys. I think I might get that walmart kit unless I find something on Hoppes's site or midway usa or something. I still want a nice set up for when I clean my multi-caliber guns after a trip to the range.

cleaning.jpg

Boresnakes have caliber stamped on the brass weight. Breakfree for lubrication. Hoppes #9 cleaning solvent. Precision oiler from Sears filled with breakfree. Small maglight. Pipe cleaners. Compact precision screwdriver for sight adjustments. Small swiss army knife with scissors. 12x loupe for close inspection, and so I can read the stamps on the boresnake weights. Nylon brush. All in a small Plano box.

The .35 boresnake cleans 9mm, 380, .38, .38 special, & .357 magnum. They're all about the same diameter.

I keep some shop rags in the range bag. This kit plus the rags covers 98% of my cleaning needs. I can clean at home or on the range. During long range sessions, I find I need to clean every 600 rounds or so, so I find this portable kit convenient.

I have several cleaning kits that I haven't touched in years. I use this box every week, and several times on a good week.

Box also contains eyepals, chamois for eyeglass cleaning, & earplugs in case someone forgets their hearing protection.

View attachment 17891

Boresnakes have caliber stamped on the brass weight. Breakfree for lubrication. Hoppes #9 cleaning solvent. Precision oiler from Sears filled with breakfree. Small maglight. Pipe cleaners. Compact precision screwdriver for sight adjustments. Small swiss army knife with scissors. 12x loupe for close inspection, and so I can read the stamps on the boresnake weights. Nylon brush. All in a small Plano box.

The .35 boresnake cleans 9mm, 380, .38, .38 special, & .357 magnum. They're all about the same diameter.

I keep some shop rags in the range bag. This kit plus the rags covers 98% of my cleaning needs. I can clean at home or on the range. During long range sessions, I find I need to clean every 600 rounds or so, so I find this portable kit convenient.

I have several cleaning kits that I haven't touched in years. I use this box every week, and several times on a good week.

Box also contains eyepals, chamois for eyeglass cleaning, & earplugs in case someone forgets their hearing protection.

That looks pretty compact and complete. I've actually never used a boresnake. Does it completely replace a rod & brush?

For most pistols, buy one of these.....

!B4pzjlQBmk~$(KGrHqN,!hEE)8Ol--bgBMqqK2,tMw~~_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-I-M-9-M1911A1-Pistol-Cleaning-Rod-/160489364439

The tip has a threaded end for your bore brush and I find they fit most calibers.

That looks pretty compact and complete. I've actually never used a boresnake. Does it completely replace a rod & brush?

When I started coaching high school kids, we once put more than 1,000 lead rounds through my Ruger 22/45 in a single practice. That evening, I couldn't get the boresnake weight down the barrel, so I had to dust off my cleaning rods and run a brush down the barrel. Then I went back to my boresnake. Now we shoot copper plated .22, I make it a point to run the boresnake down the barrel every 600 rounds or so, and my cleaning rods are back to gathering dust.

So yes, the boresnake completely replaces the rod and brush 99.9% of the time. It's much faster and more compact. You'd still need a cleaning rod to handle a squib or bore obstruction, but I've never had one of those.

Hey s4mt3k,
I'm also a new shooter and have purchased the black and silver case gun cleaner from Winchester from walmart. Seems pretty good as a starting item since its loaded with plenty of different tools for all calibers. The only thing I wish it had was some instructions on how to use everything and in what order. Wasn't to hard to look on the internet to find out but maybe could have been a little easier to have some directions. The other problem was no place to put cleaner or oil, so i fixed that by cutting out a slot in the foam in the top section that helps to hold my 2 little bottles in.
Have fun shooting and stay safe!

Back
Top Bottom