• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Club closure megathread

Just curious. Does anyone know who owns the private range behind the 300? I’d donate some ammo if they kept a 24hour a day volley going.
Where?? The 300 is surrounded by the club driveway, action pits, archery ranges and swamp, and Christmas tree farm.

No. On our safety brief, we were told that there is a range on private property behind the 300. A) to not be alarmed if we heard shooting from that direction, and B) not to go hiking back that way
Interesting. I don't recall hearing that at the most recent safety brief I visited, but my memory is trash lately so I'm probably not the best resource...

I can't say I agree with the HSC closure but can you guys not get my favorite club shut down permanently, thanks in advance.

What is that string of open fields/lanes to the left of the 300? Old shooting area?

1586360444438.png

Oh. Kinda looks like old lanes, each growing in length over the last. Thought HSC was giving that land a 'rest'...

Last edited:
They are NOT old lanes. Looking at the photo on the top right of the 300 is old Xmas tree farm and the roads around it. Next two clearings down are clearings from forestry work (create areas of new growth and beneficial native plantings), bottom area (closest to access road) is old road where the old test wells (now capped) use to be. There are a series of paths / roads connecting all the areas. Access is path / road between archery and 300 ranges. Nice area to walk and see wildlife.

Some officer out there just shouted "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!"

Since Starksboro HAS no police department, I'd be curious who it could be. Certainly the VSP isn't going to bother me on it.

Ross, if you lived in MA you can bet that you'd be ordered to shut down shooting on your own property too! That's the way MA rolls! :mad:

Thank the Supreme Architect (and Spend it all Deval for inspiring Alix and I to leave!) that I do NOT. Which was my point.

He should ban driving because of accidents.
He should get the FD to ban fires because of fire.

Been done up here already. Also being cheerfully ignored as I see lots of burns going on.
TO REDUCE THE RISK OF WILDLAND FIRES DURING COVID-19 EMERGENCY, OPEN BURNING IS NOT ALLOWED

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 6, 2020
Town of Bristol
Edward Shepard, Fire Warden – Town of Bristol, (802) 453-2821
J. Brett LaRose, Fire Chief – Town of Bristol, (802) 453-3201

The State of Vermont is currently experiencing community-wide spread of COVID-19 and our goal as Fire Warden and Fire Chief is to minimize any additional pressure on our emergency personnel both in terms of response and unnecessary potential contact with people who may have COVID-19.

Traditionally, the months of April and May have been the most active in terms of requests for burn permits as well as our emergency personnel dealing with wildland fires. These two months have often been some of the driest which adds to the potential risk associated with wildland fire incidents.

Effective immediately, the Fire Warden for the Town of Bristol has issued a temporary ban on all burn permits until further notice. We ask for your understanding and consideration during these unprecedented times we are all facing.

Please note this exception regarding campfires - a person is not required to have a permit for a campfire (any fire for cooking or warming) on their own land.

Gentlemen. I've been reviewing the bylaws.

My anger has changed to resolve. My resolve is to forever prohibit police training on HSC grounds.

We can do this. Bylaws can be changed at either the annual meeting in February or at a special meeting.

The bylaws say this about calling a special meeting.

Special Meetings may be called at any time by the President or a majority of the Board of Directors.
The President, on written request of fifteen (15) voting members, shall be required to call a Special Meeting.
Any Special Meeting shall require at least thirty (30) days written notice

This means that if for any reason, Dan or the BOD won't call a meeting, we can force a special meeting with nothing more than the written request of 15 members.
I don't think that should be hard to get.

Once a special meeting is on the books, Article X defines the process for getting a bylaw change on the agenda as:

These bylaws may be amended by the members at any Annual or Special Meeting called for the purpose, by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those present and entitled to vote provided that intention to amend has been announced at a previous Directors meeting and that a copy of the proposed amendment, together with a notice of the
meeting using the forum, email, and signs posted at the club at least thirty (30) days prior to said meeting

So there it is. 15 requests gets the ball rolling. I have drafted a quick write up of the changes I'd like to see.

While we are at it, my thought was to change the date of the annual meeting. If you have kids youknow why. It always falls during February school break and many members can't attend because they are traveling with their families. Even Dan Hurley has had trouble attending the annual meeting.

This is what I've got so far.

Dear Sirs,

I would like to respectfully request that a special meeting be called to consider the following two changes to the Harvard Sportsmen’s Club Inc.’s bylaws. Referred to from this point forward as the “Club”.

1) Annual Meeting Date
The Annual Meeting falls on the 3rd Thursday in February per the bylaws. This coincides every year with February Break in all Massachusetts public schools.
Because people often travel with their children during this week, participation is substantially less at this meting than it could or should be.

In fact the Club President has had to miss the annual meeting because this date has conflicted with planned family travel. It would strengthen the club if more of its members could participate in the annual meeting. I have been a member for 8 years and have only been to 2 annual meetings because of this conflict.

My proposal is as follows. Change Article VI text, which currently reads

“The Annual Meeting of the club shall be held on the third Thursday of February of each year. “

To:
“The Annual Meeting of the club shall be held on the first Thursday of February each year. “. The actual date of the new meeting is less important than that it not fall on a date when MA schools are on vacation.

2) Police department use of Club property

Because of the lack of support from local police departments during the Covid-19 crisis, I would like to add a new bylaw that reads.

“ No organized training of any public safety group to include Police Departments, SWAT organizations, or officers Officers organizations may be conducted on Club property. This applies only to organized departmental activities and does not affect individual officers who are members of the Club”.

Thoughts??

They are NOT old lanes. Looking at the photo on the top right of the 300 is old Xmas tree farm and the roads around it. Next two clearings down are clearings from forestry work (create areas of new growth and beneficial native plantings), bottom area (closest to access road) is old road where the old test wells (now capped) use to be. There are a series of paths / roads connecting all the areas. Access is path / road between archery and 300 ranges. Nice area to walk and see wildlife.

I am very familiar with this space Its the Christmas tree farm. HSC stocks that area with pheasants during the fall. Members also deer hunt in there as the clear cut spaces have lots of tasty stuff growing up, it attracts deer.

My anger has changed to resolve. My resolve is to forever prohibit police training on HSC grounds.

We can do this. Bylaws can be changed at either the annual meeting in February or at a special meeting.

Special Meetings may be called at any time by the President or a majority of the Board of Directors.
The President, on written request of fifteen (15) voting members, shall be required to call a Special Meeting.

This means that if for any reason, Dan or the BOD won't call a meeting, we can force a special meeting with nothing more than the written request of 15 members.

Once a special meeting is on the books, Article X defines the process for getting a bylaw change on the agenda as:

These bylaws may be amended by the members at any Annual or Special Meeting called for the purpose, by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those present and entitled to vote provided that intention to amend has been announced at a previous Directors meeting and that a copy of the proposed amendment, together with a notice of the
meeting using the forum, email, and signs posted at the club at least thirty (30) days prior to said meeting

So there it is. 15 requests gets the ball rolling. I have drafted a quick write up of the changes I'd like to see.

While we are at it, my thought was to change the date of the annual meeting. If you have kids youknow why. It always falls during February school break and many members can't attend because they are traveling with their families. Even Dan Hurley has had trouble attending the annual meeting.

Dear Sirs,

I would like to respectfully request that a special meeting be called to consider the following two changes to the Harvard Sportsmen’s Club Inc.’s bylaws. Referred to from this point forward as the “Club”.

1) Annual Meeting Date
The Annual Meeting falls on the 3rd Thursday in February per the bylaws. This coincides every year with February Break in all Massachusetts public schools.
Because people often travel with their children during this week, participation is substantially less at this meting than it could or should be.

In fact the Club President has had to miss the annual meeting because this date has conflicted with planned family travel. It would strengthen the club if more of its members could participate in the annual meeting. I have been a member for 8 years and have only been to 2 annual meetings because of this conflict.

“The Annual Meeting of the club shall be held on the third Thursday of February of each year. “

To:
“The Annual Meeting of the club shall be held on the first Thursday of February each year. “. The actual date of the new meeting is less important than that it not fall on a date when MA schools are on vacation.

Because of the lack of support from local police departments during the Covid-19 crisis, I would like to add a new bylaw that reads.

“ No organized training of any public safety group to include Police Departments, SWAT organizations, or officers Officers organizations may be conducted on Club property. This applies only to organized departmental activities and does not affect individual officers who are members of the Club”.

Thoughts??
You have me, plus I can get atleast 3 more. PM me if you want names, ill reach out and verify that they are in.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the plan is to give in, because if they don't all the PD needs to do is sit someone at the gate.

Boxborough can't sit someone at the gate. It is Harvard. Harvard PD WONT sit someone at the gate. Not going to happen. Harvard is already in the process of ripping Boxborough a new a-hole for pulling someone over in Harvard.

Dear Sirs,

1) Annual Meeting Date

To:

Thoughts??

I'm in.

Dear Sirs,

1) Annual Meeting Date

To:

Thoughts??
In. This is a Karma thread, right? What do I get?

Seriously though. The problem here is Boxborough, not Harvard or LIttleton. Neither Harvard nor Littleton are aligned with the Boxborough position. We are potentially "punishing" others for the actions of Boxborough. I am not ready for a global action forbidding public safety training based on Boxborough action. Now if you said you wanted to block them because they are significantly less safe, leave the ranges filthy, including unfired ammo on the ground; I would be in.

In. This is a Karma thread, right? What do I get?

Seriously though. The problem here is Boxborough, not Harvard or LIttleton. Neither Harvard nor Littleton are aligned with the Boxborough position. We are potentially "punishing" others for the actions of Boxborough. I am not ready for a global action forbidding public safety training based on Boxborough action. Now if you said you wanted to block them because they are significantly less safe, leave the ranges filthy, including unfired ammo on the ground; I would be in.
Offer Littleton & Harvard the oppurtunity to have our backs, provide safe passage to and from the club, and allow us to reopen. Sitting on the fence watching their brothers infringe on our rights is just as bad.

Dear Sirs,

1) Annual Meeting Date

To:

Thoughts??
A couple thoughts:

1) It seems smart to separate conversations that are unrelated. Related to that, this probably should become a separate thread from the Club Closures Megathread as it really only affects a small portion of NES members compared to the folks that this thread serves.
2) The date change is already to be discussed in the special meeting in May:
HSC Admin said:
*** SPECIAL MEETING NOTICE ***
MAY 7, 2020
8:30 PM
PROPOSED BYLAW CHANGE
DETERMINATION OF THE ANNUAL MEETING DATE

The HSC Board of Directors voted to present a bylaw change for vote by the Membership at the May 7 monthly meeting.

The current bylaw Article VI, Meetings, states that the Annual Meeting will be on the third Thursday of February. This date almost always coincides with the February school vacation and makes it difficult for many Members to attend. This date also provides only two weeks to prepare the annual operating budget before it must be voted at the March monthly meeting.

The proposed bylaw follows:

“The Board shall determine by majority vote the date of the Annual Meeting
each year. The date shall coordinate with the change of the HSC fiscal year. The Annual Meeting date shall be determined and posted no later than 60 days before the actual date.”

The existing bylaw is as follows:

“The Annual Meeting of the club shall be held on the third Thursday of February of each year.”

By directing the Board to determine the date each year, the Board will be able to address the concerns of the Membership as we move forward. The 60-day requirement will allow the Board to react to unforeseen circumstances while allowing Members adequate time to plan their schedules and make room in their bellies for plenty of delicious food.

ALL MEMBERS ARE INVITED TO ATTEND THE MAY 7 MEETING TO EXPRESS THEIR VIEWS AND VOTE ON THE PROPOSED BYLAW CHANGE.
3) I'm not sure what we gain by refusing LEO training at HSC, except a bridge burned in whatever departments currently use our property. We sure won't get Boxborough to change their decision here, nor will they be hurt by making similar decisions in future. If anything, we gain more leverage with them if we continue to have them use our resource, as we can say that the closed club means for everyone - including and especially LE.

{the following is a cross-post from another thread)

Here's what I just got as a reply to my nastygram yesterday...

Dear Enbloc,

Thank you for reaching out. Gun stores and ranges do have the ability to request essential service designation, despite the orders. Numerous businesses that were not initially covered under the essential services list released have since been designated essential services through the formal request process.

Best,
Barry
Barry R. Finegold
State Senator, 2nd Essex & Middlesex District
State House | Room 507 | Boston, MA 02133
Office: (617) 722-1612

Dear Enbloc,

Thank you for reaching out. Gun stores and ranges do have the ability to request essential service designation, despite the orders. Numerous businesses that were not initially covered under the essential services list released have since been designated essential services through the formal request process.

Best,
Barry
Barry R. Finegold

I get a distinct "Lip Service" feeling from that response. Sure the range can apply but I'm betting it will hit the perverbial waste basket in very short order.

I get a distinct "Lip Service" feeling from that response. Sure the range can apply but I'm betting it will hit the perverbial waste basket in very short order.

Applying would be terminally stupid because it gives legs to the idea that HSC falls under the edict.... when it really doesn’t.

Yeah. I thought some of you would find that interesting...

While we are mostly stuck at home, a full-blown letter writing campaign might be of some use.
Let's send then so much... they cry 'Uncle'.
I will, and I'm very persistent...

Boxborough can't sit someone at the gate. It is Harvard. Harvard PD WONT sit someone at the gate. Not going to happen. Harvard is already in the process of ripping Boxborough a new a-hole for pulling someone over in Harvard.

I don't know enough about where each town ends and where each begins to challenge you. I know that others have said the gate is in Boxboro. I leave HSC by turning right. I think that puts me in littleton. I really need to look at a map.

Dear Enbloc,

Best,
Barry
Barry R. Finegold
The issue is NOT that the clubs need an exemption, but that they meet the current criteria to keep outdoor facilities open to members and some PDs are mis-applying the guidance provided in the order. At DR said, once you apply for an exemption you are de-facto stipulating acceptance that that interpretation is correct and valid.

Back
Top Bottom