Guns you bought becuse they "looked cool"

Dennis, are you off of your meds again? I worry about ANYONE who considers a Nambu to be "cool"!!

Ross, cool to me is what catches your eye and the eye of others. What people like to see when you're at the range.

Each month we have a gun show and tell at my club's monthly meeting. I bring 2-3 pieces I have each month. You should see the attention that the Nambu got. Everyone thought it was way cool.

The one that got the most cool votes was one that I forgot to post. It was passed around and talked about for a long time. Cool isn't always tacticool or blingy, it's what draws attention. This one really did:

right1%20800x517.jpg

What, am I the only one who had a reliable Interarms PPK in .380??? Damn... should have never sold it. Apparently, I had a collector's item. The ONLY thing that it wouldn't feed was the Blazer aluminum-hulled ammo. Everything else? *burp* Hand me another magazine, please!

Nope, you're not the only one! I have an Interarms PPK/s that I bought used at a Corpus Christi gun show in 1994. I have NO idea how old it is or how many rounds it had through it. Been perfectly reliable with anything I've thrown at it, including hollow points. I bought some S&W mags, which have also been perfectly reliable, because the one magazine that came with it had some pretty chewed up feed lips. Still ran perfectly, though. Never, ever had a part break or even needed to change any springs. Great gun, but a little large and heavy these days for the .380 pocket carry role. I can carry my P3AT with a +1 magazine extension and have the same capacity in a MUCH smaller and lighter package. Heck, even my PM9 (with +p 9mm) is smaller and lighter and packs a bigger punch.

DSC01930.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

As for "cool guns". Hmmm. I guess mine are the AKs, ARs, SKSs, Walther PPK/s, Kimber 1911s...and even Glock. I think their utilitarian look is "cool". :)

Last edited:
chrome Jennings .22

Trust me, there's nothing cool about Jennings!!! (except the temperature of your lifeless body if you were stupid enough to carry one for self defense!)
Mouse guns, eh? I've got a Beretta 21A in .22LR - lots of fun to shoot. I've also got a Davis Derringer in 22WMR - now, THERE'S a gun that's begging not to be carried. I think I'm still on my second box of ammo for it... and I got it sometime before 1990.
AR Pistol (well still building) once it arrives it'll be my new OC pistol.
Some people just don't learn... [rolleyes]
Let me know how that works for you, Bro!
Ross, cool to me is what catches your eye and the eye of others. What people like to see when you're at the range.

Each month we have a gun show and tell at my club's monthly meeting. I bring 2-3 pieces I have each month. You should see the attention that the Nambu got. Everyone thought it was way cool.

The one that got the most cool votes was one that I forgot to post. It was passed around and talked about for a long time. Cool isn't always tacticool or blingy, it's what draws attention. This one really did:

right1%20800x517.jpg

Oh, double-ick. A Nagant?? I shot one. Once. That was enough.

Seanc,
I got fooled by a Mac-10 in .45ACP.
Unreliable, inaccurate, frightfully dangerous to handle.
That's what watching John Wayne in McQ too often does to you.
OTOH, iI traded it to someone dumber than me for a Winchester M52.[rofl]
All's well that ends well.

This is my latest 'cool' gun:

1860Army-vi.jpg

The Peacemaker's Gran'pappy, .44 Caliber Colt 1860 Army (repro.)

Aside from good looks and perfect balance, it shoots very well, and the only paperwork is a charge card receipt.
[party]

And, if I decide to hop on my mule and do a 'drive by', like Jose Wales, there won't be any spent shell casings for the CSI guys to use against me.[laugh]

Jack

Seanc,
I got fooled by a Mac-10 in .45ACP.
Unreliable, inaccurate, frightfully dangerous to handle.
That's what watching John Wayne in McQ too often does to you.
OTOH, iI traded it to someone dumber than me for a Winchester M52.[rofl]
All's well that ends well.

This is my latest 'cool' gun:

1860Army-vi.jpg

The Peacemaker's Gran'pappy, .44 Caliber Colt 1860 Army (repro.)

Aside from good looks and perfect balance, it shoots very well, and the only paperwork is a charge card receipt.
[party]

And, if I decide to hop on my mule and do a 'drive by', like Jose Wales, there won't be any spent shell casings for the CSI guys to use against me.[laugh]

Jack

I always wanted one of those!!
gotta get me one

What, am I the only one who had a reliable Interarms PPK in .380??? Damn... should have never sold it. Apparently, I had a collector's item. The ONLY thing that it wouldn't feed was the Blazer aluminum-hulled ammo. Everything else? *burp* Hand me another magazine, please!

Try Farnsworth Ammunition in VT for that stuff. If they don't have it, they can make it. Tell Nickle I sent you. [wink]

Nope, I had one that would take anything I ever fed it. I don't regret selling it as it got
replaced with something else that I wanted but it was one of the most reliable and
functional autos I ever had.

I've gone on a frivolous gun buying spree so my last two guns were more or less for the funky factor:

Desert Eagle .44mag
Beretta Cx4 Storm 9mm

I got a Beretta CX4 Storm. But, it doesn't just look cool... it really is cool. Terrific gun. I love this thing. Handles well, shoots very nicely.

I successfully resisted buying a PS90 because it looks cool. It was easy to resist, thanks to the $2000 price tag.

ugh.

Auto Ordnance 1911A1. Biggest POS on this planet.

Agreed. I had the "ZG-51 Pit Bull" version. The frame metal was as soft as Play Doh. On the rare occassions it would fire more than 1 or 2 in a row without jamming, it would throw the brass to a different spot every time. Once it threw a hot shell in my face and it landed between my eyelid and the inside of my glasses. I freaked out for a second and actually dropped the gun on cement. But I didn't have to worry about an AD because the gun was jammed up with a stovepipe......[frown]

Call this one the New Years resolution thread.. It came up on another thread..
This is the guns we bought because they "looked SOOO cool thread".

I will start and see if anyone can top me as the biggest loser..

Cobray StreetSweeper
(finally sold after 4 yrs of trying)

Cobray semi mac 11 380
(good thing I have a 30 rd mag.. this life size target just does not seem
to be big enough)

Ingram semi open bolt mac 10 /9mm
(hey, did that shot hit the hill??)

AO semi Thompson 28 style
(hmm a 13lb 45acp, that is SO COOL)

AO semi Tommy M1
(hmm.. This one's only 11lbs.. Let's try THAT!)

Q3 (yes 3) interord PPK jam-o-matics
(007s wasn't like this!!! Well maybe This one will be different...)

Feather at-22

Feather at-9

Rem 700 Pss 300 RUM
(So, everybody is going to start carry this caliber, right??)

MK760 (full auto)
well it would be if it would spit out more than 1 round w/o jamming..

Century But-hole L1A1

Nambu..
(Oh, I know where there ammo for that!!! NOT)

Hk Sp-89 (before I got a reg sear)

Auto Ord 1911
(well, as long as you say all standard 1911 parts will fit it, why not??)

KBI Russian Makarov in 380 (double stack mag)

FN 1922 (astra ish thing) Nazi marked in .32
(This one was actually kind of cool)

IMI Uzi Mod B carbine (in 45) semi.
(The 16" bbl doesn't look that silly, does it? Wow! And it's lighter than the Tommy!)

q2 Spas 12

Q2 Beretta tomcat 32.

Give or take one or two guns, this list is almost word for word the guns my father and grandfather told me to stay away from.

Funny how over time, guns that were pieces of chit yesterday are still pieces of chit today.

I guess you like "odd" a whole lot better than "quality".

If we're talking guns we've regretted buying, but did anyway for the cool factor:

M1 Garand

Yup, I said it. EVERYONE since Patton has said how great it is. I didn't like it, but bought it anyway thinking I'd get used to it. Never did.

Its replacement in the safe was a Marlin 336, because lever guns are cool. I'm much happier now.

Back
Top Bottom