• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gunstock refinishing. Again

IMG_4820.jpg 20231224_150154.jpg
Boiled linseed oil mixed with paint thinner for the first few coats, then just oil. I do not want to remove any of the "patina" that has developed since '42 on this Remington 1903. It had some type of slip on rubber pad that left a line on the butt stock. Hopefully refreshing the oil will remedy this because color correction is black magic that I'm not super proficient in. I have a recently acquired '64 Marlin 336 in .35 Remington that needs some love too and will probably get the same treatment

View attachment 831568
Not so simple for the 336
That fix might not be for the light hearted.
Thats a kind of fix your most likely going to have to finish that break.
Many years ago there was a furniture repair man who who would fix gun stocks. My dad brought him a stock that was cracked similar to yours. He was looking at it and said thats a tough fix. Best I can do is head of the crack. My dad said really. Guy laughed and said well it would be easier if it was broken right in two. My dad said to him
Do what you can with it.
Guy chuckles and said “easy way it is “ and before my dad could say anything guy grabbed a small wooden wedge and wood mallet and split that stock in two and said come back in Jan this was in July
If you did not know where it was split it was very hard to see it.
He repaired a dozen more stocks over the years for my dad

Later on I met a man here in kingston back in 2004 who would do stock work along side his furniture repair. He did a few things for me. Years later I approached him on repairing a M14 stock.
He said im to old and do not do any more repairs. Although he gave me a few crash courses on how to fix my problem and a few small tools.
He recommended finishing the break also.
I chose not to and epoxy and pinned it with special brass screw pins.

View attachment 831568
Not so simple for the 336
I see a few ways to fix it
#1 plan out your clamping method
Carefully split it and use some pins to reenforce it and some black epoxy
Also could run a drill from the butt to as deed as you can go along the crack. Heading off the crack to the right of the crack Pack epoxy in there until it comes out the crack. If you use a snug fitting dowel to press the epoxy in it will find its way into the smallest part of the crack.
You could also reinforce the hole with a rod?
Then I would install one of those bow shaped inlays to help keep it together.
Ah f*** it who am I kidding I would just pick up a new stock.

Last edited:
I see a few ways to fix it
#1 plan out your clamping method
Carefully split it and use some pins to reenforce it and some black epoxy
Also could run a drill from the butt to as deed as you can go along the crack. Heading off the crack to the right of the crack Pack epoxy in there until it comes out the crack. If you use a snug fitting dowel to press the epoxy in it will find its way into the smallest part of the crack.
You could also reinforce the hole with a rod?
Then I would install one of those bow shaped inlays to help keep it together.
Ah f*** it who am I kidding I would just pick up a new stock.
My plan is to try the drill on the crack, epoxy and wooden dowel, like you said. I'm debating using a "bow tie" but what that really means is I should definitely mortise one in under the butt pad area. When that fails I'll get another stock

Back
Top Bottom