H&K VP9 used pricing

SO I bought a H&K VP9 a few months ago, have fired about 200 rounds and don't like the gun, I wont carry it and that was the purpose of it. So I am thinking about selling or trading but was curious if anyone knew what I might expect to get from a shop? this is the model with 3 mags, night sites, still have the case and manual as though this was a brand new setup.

I bought the model with two magazines and paid $475 from someone on NES. A gun store (how can I say this) with all due respect, will give you the least amount they think you will take.
Not unlike a car dealership who's job it is to steal your trade in. Better off to set a price and try to sell it here.

I see them go from 550-620 on Armslist right now. I doubt you will get much at a shop. Id buy it from you if I had the cash right now. Beautiful guns!

im in no rush to sell it, and like I said I realize they will try to give me as little as possible. I did assume I might get at least 400, maybe im dreaming and will find out tonight from my local guy. My biggest issue with the gun is when I do carry it a couple times a week I feel like I have a brick strapped to my waist and cant get used to the feeling.

Yes it is a nice gun and I think I have spent more time cleaning than using it.

im in no rush to sell it, and like I said I realize they will try to give me as little as possible. I did assume I might get at least 400, maybe im dreaming and will find out tonight from my local guy. My biggest issue with the gun is when I do carry it a couple times a week I feel like I have a brick strapped to my waist and cant get used to the feeling.

Yes it is a nice gun and I think I have spent more time cleaning than using it.
I'll give you $400 if your dealer won't

SO I bought a H&K VP9 a few months ago, have fired about 200 rounds and don't like the gun, I wont carry it and that was the purpose of it. So I am thinking about selling or trading but was curious if anyone knew what I might expect to get from a shop? this is the model with 3 mags, night sites, still have the case and manual as though this was a brand new setup.

Shop on a trade in is only going to give you like maybe 60% of the value.

You're better off consigning it and only getting raped 15-20% instead of 40%. Or better yet just list it here in classifieds, then you'll probably only take a 50-100 dollar hit on it, depending on version and how many mags you have with it.

-Mike

if you want to get decent $ for it, post it on NES classifieds with some pics. IMO reasonable price for a used model w NS + 3 mags would be like $500-550 ish. $500 is a great deal and $600 is overpriced.

if you go consignment or straight sale to a shop, you're going to get far less. it's how it goes.

Hey!!!! I think I bought mine from you for $600!!! LOL ;)

Albeit it was closer to when they first came out, there weren't many used for sale, and the ones that were, were scooped up very quickly.... Nice gun.. very happy with it.. like it so much more than my M&P9. And to be clear, I thought $600 was a very fair price at the time..

if you want to get decent $ for it, post it on NES classifieds with some pics. IMO reasonable price for a used model w NS + 3 mags would be like $500-550 ish. $500 is a great deal and $600 is overpriced.

if you go consignment or straight sale to a shop, you're going to get far less. it's how it goes.

Hey!!!! I think I bought mine from you for $600!!! LOL ;)

Albeit it was closer to when they first came out, there weren't many used for sale, and the ones that were, were scooped up very quickly.... Nice gun.. very happy with it.. like it so much more than my M&P9. And to be clear, I thought $600 was a very fair price at the time..

hilarious! and true! I sold you my VP9 back in April 2016. was it $575 or $600? I don't recall the exact price. indeed VP9 prices have come down a bit. also at the time I sold you mine the night site version was rather rare. nowadays the gun is way more prevalant. how is your VP9 working out? FYI HK upgraded the recoil spring sometime in late 2016 to a heavier spring. you might be able to get them to send you a new one. allegedly the heavier spring is to help for those running a suppressor. unsuppresed it doesn't seem to matter.

funny story about the VP9 I sold you. so I owned a different VP9 ~6 months prior. shot it and my trigger finger kept getting bit by the trigger guard. put it on consignment at FS and it sold fast. fast forward some months later I tell my wife I miss the VP9 and want another one. she tells me "you moron it hurt your finger" and I brushed it off like "well it wasn't that bad". so I go buy another VP9 and my wife comes to the range with me and I'm cursing my index finger out cuz it hurts again. and my wife was just laughing looking at me like a complete fool.

at this point even if I wanted another VP9 I wouldn't be able to purchase one without going beyond idiot status in my marriage!

Last edited:
hilarious! and true! I sold you my VP9 back in April 2016. was it $575 or $550? I don't recall the exact price. indeed VP9 prices have come down a bit. also at the time I sold you mine the night site version was rather rare. nowadays the gun is way more prevalant. how is your VP9 working out? FYI HK upgraded the recoil spring sometime in late 2016 to a heavier spring. you might be able to get them to send you a new one. allegedly the heavier spring is to help for those running a suppressor. unsuppresed it doesn't seem to matter.

funny story about the VP9 I sold you. so I owned a different VP9 ~6 months prior. shot it and my trigger finger kept getting bit by the trigger guard. put it on consignment at FS and it sold fast. fast forward some months later I tell my wife I miss the VP9 and want another one. she tells me "you moron it hurt your finger" and I brushed it off like "well it wasn't that bad". so I go buy another VP9 and my wife comes to the range with me and I'm cursing my index finger out cuz it hurts again. and my wife was just laughing looking at me like you moron.

at this point even if I wanted another VP9 I wouldn't be able to purchase one without going beyond idiot status in my marriage!

Why didnt you just grind down the hump in the trigger guard and fix the problem?

-Mike

I have a kydex alien gear holster with it, it is a outside pants style. not sure if you guys are serious, I hate selling stuff this was why I was trying to go the easy way out, I would be more than happy to get $500 so maybe I will post it on the forum once I get some pics.

Why didnt you just grind down the hump in the trigger guard and fix the problem?

-Mike

valid question. at that time I had discovered the P320 that had eclipsed the VP9 in so many ways. also I'm more of a hammer fired guy. so I settled on the P320 and glock as the only striker guns I bother owning. my affinity for the VP9 was based mostly on its aesthetics....the gun just looks gorgeous. but compared to an HK P30 I see no benefits to a VP9 except less expensive. i try not to modify a firearm unless i'm really committed to keeping it, reason being the resale values tend to tank when a gun is modified (even if the mod is an improvement).

acknowledging this is strictly my own personal preferences. i've met plenty of folks who adore their VP9 and I would never call them foolish. it's a great gun but to me the P320 and glocks just take the prize in that category. my father pretty much only shoots his VP9. in fact I think he may have sold his G17 because of his VP9 love affair. interestingly my mother prefers her G17 as primary gun, although I had to install a tac rac plate so she can rack the slide. so perhaps I inherited my mom's gun genes that favor the glock.

the only other striker gun that I find has really earned a spot is the canik TP9SF. for the cost of the gun it's hard not to own one.

Typical outright sale of a gun to a dealer is ~50% of what the dealer believes that he can get for it. Not a good deal at all.

NES sales are almost always dealing with good people.

thanks for the info, my local guy gave me 450 and cut me a deal on a gun that I wanted. I don't doubt he will try to get 600 but he does have to pay for his lease and lights, yes im sure I could have sold it here, I just don't have the time.

thanks for the info, my local guy gave me 450 and cut me a deal on a gun that I wanted. I don't doubt he will try to get 600 but he does have to pay for his lease and lights, yes im sure I could have sold it here, I just don't have the time.

That's not completely horrendous if it was 450 cash, thats a tad more than 20%. A lot of dealers are far less than that, not wanting to front capital on used guns.

Then again, this is a commodity gun, something that people actually buy. If this was a gun chambered in .40 or something like
that, you probably would have gotten hosed because the dealer knows thats 2-3x harder to sell.

-Mike

Last edited:
Lets keep in mind I think he knew I was going to turn around and buy a new gun from him. he made no secret that the vp9 would be a quick resell, but hey I could have turned around went home and posted up here for sale. to me the $100 I could have made wasn't worth the hassle, having to setup a place to meet someone and then pay for the transfer and fuel for my truck.

He has been a good dealer and for that I will always go there first.

Back
Top Bottom