• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hammock Camping Thread

Getting ready for a hammock camping trip. I am bring three family members on this one and I do not have enough tarps in my arsenal. So I ordered 24 yards or so of ultralight silnylon and went to work. Tarp number one took a bit of time but I have it down now. The next two will be much easier. Seems to stretch out quite nicely. This little bugger is ten feet by eleven feet and weighs next to nothing. Pete

20190721_163245.jpg

I took my Underground Quilts 40F top quilt on an overnighter on Vermont’s Long Trail and slept in a shelter with 5 others on a Therm-a-rest Neoair pad. Plenty of ground insulation but I was quite chilly at 50F with a slight breeze. I’d have been toasty warm in my War Bonnet Blackbird with 40F UGQ underquilt. Sleeping on the ground sucks!

I am planning a winter camping trip to get a few buddies into snowshoeing and doing some winter gear shooting in January. I want to try and camp out of my pack for the weekend so I intend to hammock camp, what's the new hotness in winter hammock sleeping?

I was planning to get a cold weather rated under quilt and a heat reflecting tarp to use a fly while sleeping in my MSS on a hammock pad. It sounds cumbersome in my head, I am hoping the pack doesn't end up weighing 100lbs.

I am going to bring a cot and my insulated CLAM ice hut just in case.

I am planning a winter camping trip to get a few buddies into snowshoeing and doing some winter gear shooting in January. I want to try and camp out of my pack for the weekend so I intend to hammock camp, what's the new hotness in winter hammock sleeping?

I was planning to get a cold weather rated under quilt and a heat reflecting tarp to use a fly while sleeping in my MSS on a hammock pad. It sounds cumbersome in my head, I am hoping the pack doesn't end up weighing 100lbs.

I have an under quilt and the Hennessey mylar bubble pad.

For extra under warmth, you can pack between the quilt and hammock with leaves if the ground is open. If not and it's snow covered, use hemlock or other pine branches to build a wind break around the hammock. Just cut branches and plant them in the snow. This REALLY helps if there is any wind.

I've got a quilt and bubble pad too that I don't use, I'll send it to you if you want

I have a Jacks R Better set: their Winter Nest and High Sierra Sniveller. I've used these well below freezing and been toasty the whole night. I'm confident in their temperature ratings. If I didn't have a bottom-entry Hennessy, I'd seriously consider their three-piece set - it's probably what I'll get my GF for her hammock.

I also have the Hennessy XL bubble pad. It and my Chinook Cold Snap synthetic bag take up about the same volume as my two Jacks R Better quilts. I've used them together down to ~39 F and probably could have gone colder, though not as far as the down quilts. I find the pad gets wet and slippery when used with a quilt, but is fine with a full bag. It's also kind of crinkly. Generally, I don't love it as much as the quilts, though it is pretty effective - I'd probably like it better in a double layer hammock.

I'm using a mil surplus goretex bivvy with a synthetic sleeping bag inside, so I can't hear the bubble mat crinkle over the bivvy. Lol.

If it's very cold, I step into my sleeping bag & bivvy outside of tent, I put my socks socks boots inside the bivvy (between the bivvy and bag) pull the bag/bivvy up to my shoulders, then enter the Hennessey hammock from under. The bubble pad is already inside. It's a bit of an acquired skill, but the hammock is so much better than sleeping on the ground, I've learned to like what I view as the lesser of two evils.

If I was going to have to bug home or somewhere in a TEOTWAWKI scenario, I'd ditch the hammock altogether and instead carry the rubberized wool blanket I have and sleep on ground for expediency. The blanket is rubber on one side and about 3/16" of wool on the other. About same weight and bulk as the entire hammock winter setup.

If I'm camping for fun, I 100% use hammocks now because I sleep so much better.

I've got a quilt and bubble pad too that I don't use, I'll send it to you if you want
Is the bubble pad similar to Reflectix? I've been meaning to make a pad that gives me full coverage vs just being as wide as a normal camp pad. Even with my 4 season underquilt I get cold spots that ruin my sleep.

Is the bubble pad similar to Reflectix? I've been meaning to make a pad that gives me full coverage vs just being as wide as a normal camp pad. Even with my 4 season underquilt I get cold spots that ruin my sleep.
pretty sure mine is made of reflectix:

pretty sure mine is made of reflectix:
Looks like it is, but with edging and elastics to hold it in place.

... The Kammock is intriguing as well. Both look like great set ups. Throw in an underquilt (or make one) and you are good to go ...
I have the Kammock with an Eno underquilt. I get cold with the combo of a thermarest and a 50 degree sleeping bag. I really like the ease of the Kammock though, it's hard to lose your gear, since most of it is integrated into the hammock, and the tent stakes are anodized orange. I don't have pictures, but I could throw it up in the to demonstrate its footprint

I've got a hammock I keep at the Super Secret Squirrel Location that these days gets used more for ham radio than resting, and it's not a great setup. I'm looking at these hammock "recliners", which appear to be just a different shape. But my problems might be solved if I had more sag. I pretty much hang the hammock straight across between trees and by the time I get in and situated it's at the right height. I don't know what's stretching to allow it to sag at all. My suspension is just what came on the ENO hammock plus that hollow webbing you get from EMS.

Also considering a ridge line to let me have consistent sag without worrying about how tight I hang it. I mostly sit sideways with the radio on one leg, log book on the other, and the view of the mountains in front of me. The hammock digs into the back of my knees something fierce. Maybe a porch swing would be a better option.

I've got a hammock I keep at the Super Secret Squirrel Location that these days gets used more for ham radio than resting, and it's not a great setup. [...]. The hammock digs into the back of my knees something fierce. Maybe a porch swing would be a better option.

You're definitely hanging it too tightly.

The suspension should be at about 30 degrees to horizontal when you're in it. Even when you just leave it alone there should be a natural caternary.

The (additional) sag comes from stretching the straps, stretching the hammock itself, and bending the trees. It doesn't take much of each to see a huge deflection in the center of the hammock.

The closer you start to the final position the less stretch and strain there'll be in the system when you load it.

(This is a fundamental physics problem. Imagine a rigid line pulled between two rigid columns to which you apply a vertical load; what's the horizontal component resisting that vertical load?)

Last edited:
how-to-hang-a-hammock-basics-1.jpg

You're definitely hanging it too tightly.

The suspension should be at about 30 degrees to horizontal when you're in it. Even when you just leave it alone there should be a natural caternary.

The (additional) sag comes from stretching the straps, stretching the hammock itself, and bending the trees. It doesn't take much of each to see a huge deflection in the center of the hammock.

The closer you start to the final position the less stretch and strain there'll be in the system when you load it.

(This is a fundamental physics problem. Imagine a rigid line pulled between two rigid columns to which you apply a vertical load; what's the horizontal component resisting that vertical load?)
That makes sense, I'll have to try it. I usually set the straps at about head height and I end up with my feet almost touching the ground. But maybe if I leave some slack to start with it won't matter too much and will be more comfortable.

I got a new hammock on order in the meantime. My ENO hammock is a little short, I think 9.5'. The new one is 11' and includes a ridgeline which should make it much easier to setup just right every time, and give me a place to hang my radio mic or even the radio itself. If the ridge line makes a difference, I'll see about adding one to the ENO and use that for other applications.

That makes sense, I'll have to try it. I usually set the straps at about head height and I end up with my feet almost touching the ground. But maybe if I leave some slack to start with it won't matter too much and will be more comfortable.

I got a new hammock on order in the meantime. My ENO hammock is a little short, I think 9.5'. The new one is 11' and includes a ridgeline which should make it much easier to setup just right every time, and give me a place to hang my radio mic or even the radio itself. If the ridge line makes a difference, I'll see about adding one to the ENO and use that for other applications.
My Hennessy has a ridgeline. It definitely helps reduce my natural desire to overtighten as well. It's hard to make yourself remember that any tension we put in the rig ends up pushing back against us in the hammock.

It's all right there in the free body diagram.

If I wasn't in such a hurry to replace the ENO I would have fooled around with my Hennessy first. I have the bottom entry kind (heh heh) that is more trouble than it's worth. I should have gotten the zipper style. Live and learn. But it's got a ridge line and a bug screen, which would be a real improvement during this horrible black fly season.

I've hated the suspension in my Hennessy, mostly the ropes they use. Big, bulky, and I use straps anyway. If the cinch buckles on the new one prove to be a good solution I might upgrade the Hennessy to use those instead of the horrible rope system it came with. I'm using rings to go from the ropes to the straps I put around the trees. The Hennessy ropes are just too fat to really stay put on the rings.

If I wasn't in such a hurry to replace the ENO I would have fooled around with my Hennessy first. I have the bottom entry kind (heh heh) that is more trouble than it's worth. I should have gotten the zipper style. Live and learn. But it's got a ridge line and a bug screen, which would be a real improvement during this horrible black fly season.

I've hated the suspension in my Hennessy, mostly the ropes they use. Big, bulky, and I use straps anyway. If the cinch buckles on the new one prove to be a good solution I might upgrade the Hennessy to use those instead of the horrible rope system it came with. I'm using rings to go from the ropes to the straps I put around the trees. The Hennessy ropes are just too fat to really stay put on the rings.

2QZQ Hammock Zipper Mods | Add Zippers to Your Hammock

Ouch, $63 plus shipping both ways to turn a $270 hammock into a $270 hammock. Could be worth it though instead of just not using it.

Well, you could sell the Hennessey, I guess. I thought about doing the zipper mod, but I guess I got used to the bottom entry. :D

It is annoying at times.....

$63 + 2x shipping + $270 = $270? Is that some kind of defense contractor math going on there?

I like the bottom entry, but I'll admit I don't love the ropes either. I keep thinking of upgrading to whoopee slings, or something like the atlas slings I have on my other hammock.

Well, you could sell the Hennessey, I guess. I thought about doing the zipper mod, but I guess I got used to the bottom entry. :D

It is annoying at times.....

$63 + 2x shipping + $270 = $270? Is that some kind of defense contractor math going on there?
What are you some kind of guy who audits defense contractors?

Naw, it's just that original and the kind with the zipper are the same price new. Had I bought the right one from the start I wouldn't have to pay $63++ to get the right one.

I like the bottom entry, but I'll admit I don't love the ropes either. I keep thinking of upgrading to whoopee slings, or something like the atlas slings I have on my other hammock.
It's like they know most people are going to change them out anyway to whatever they prefer. Kind of like how real bicycles don't come with pedals because most people will just take them off and put something else on.

I'm tempted to by some Dyneema and try my hand at splicing.

It's like they know most people are going to change them out anyway to whatever they prefer.
Sadly, Tom has exactly the opposite position. He genuinely believes his method with that rope is better than all the other options. Which is a shame, because a simple loop end would be easier for most users.

I'm tempted to by some Dyneema and try my hand at splicing.
You Should Do It GIF by Halloween

Sadly, Tom has exactly the opposite position. He genuinely believes his method with that rope is better than all the other options. Which is a shame, because a simple loop end would be easier for most users.

You Should Do It GIF by Halloween
This is far more reasonable than I expected. I've seen splicing demonstrated with simple tools like nails and wire. I'm sure the tools are nicer, but to make one or two I could probably get by.

Amazon product ASIN B09XLMQDK6View: https://www.amazon.com/Hanging-High-Hammocks-Suspension-Backpacking/dp/B09XLMQDK6/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3OYI1YHC43KCF&keywords=amsteel%2B7%2F64&qid=1684287842&sprefix=amsteel%2Caps%2C776&sr=8-5&th=1

This is how all of our Hennesseys are setup. You leave it all assembled when packed. You pull it out, wrap the tree strap and latch with carabiner, pull the rope and the rings make the tension self locking. It's a <2min setup.

View: https://youtu.be/1vEXC_1aaxc

Hah!! I ran across 4 of those rings in with all the hammock hardware a couple days ago, and could not remember why I got them, and why they were with the hammock.

Thanks for reminding me!! Obviously, I haven't tried them yet.

This is how all of our Hennesseys are setup. You leave it all assembled when packed. You pull it out, wrap the tree strap and latch with carabiner, pull the rope and the rings make the tension self locking. It's a <2min setup.

View: https://youtu.be/1vEXC_1aaxc

I tried that but with a strap on the rings too. I wonder if that kept the rings from being able to move and lock on the rope. I ended up on the ground a number of times before I abandoned that and went with different knots. I'll give that a try.

I'm going off rusty memory but I want to say I had a lark's head from the strap to the rings, then that method on the rings. The lark's head locked the rings together.

Back
Top Bottom