• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harbor Freight Gun Safe?

The HF black friday price this year on the 10 gun safe is $320. In years past it was $300.

Black Friday, outside of TV's this year is pretty awful. Walmart isn't even advertising tire sales this year, they have been for years.

So there are some decent TV deals? My 3 year old son has already broken TWO. We've been without a TV for a few months and my wife is getting on my case about replacing it. I'm thinking a cheap POS isn't a bad idea considering there is a good chance that another hockey stick or coaster is going to get thrown at it anyway.

The HF black friday price this year on the 10 gun safe is $320. In years past it was $300.

Black Friday, outside of TV's this year is pretty awful. Walmart isn't even advertising tire sales this year, they have been for years.
Tires are hard to get, I am 8 weeks out on a motorcycle tire order, but we had 4 General Tires for a customer pick up truck show up at the shop the other day, 2 made in China, 2 in Russia, and 2 of them had 2020 manufacturing dates on them.

So there are some decent TV deals? My 3 year old son has already broken TWO. We've been without a TV for a few months and my wife is getting on my case about replacing it. I'm thinking a cheap POS isn't a bad idea considering there is a good chance that another hockey stick or coaster is going to get thrown at it anyway.
I just got a 65 inch Samsung "smart" TV, nothing special as far as specs, 60Hz basic crap, but it was $450 dollars and perfect for my man town here in FL

IMG_20221121_122318363_HDR.jpg

10?

The Feds and Manufacturers are saying SIX

Some shops won't even plug a tire that is more than 6 years old

When I got new wheels for my Mustang, the OEM tires had 8000 miles on them, but were made in 2006.... the first tire shop I went to to swap the tires over wouldn't touch them because they were 13 years old at the time, another shop did swap them out and they are still on the car... now 16+ years old and 12000 miles on them

10?

The Feds and Manufacturers are saying SIX

Some shops won't even plug a tire that is more than 6 years old

When I got new wheels for my Mustang, the OEM tires had 8000 miles on them, but were made in 2006.... the first tire shop I went to to swap the tires over wouldn't touch them because they were 13 years old at the time, another shop did swap them out and they are still on the car... now 16+ years old and 12000 miles on them

My dad is a notorious cheapskate and never stops singing his praises for the "llanterias" in Phoenix where you can pull in at any time of the day and a Mexican will mount and balance some cheap used tire on your car for peanuts.

Back to the topic of the thread. How are these Winchester Safes from Tractor Supply. This one is going on sale for $599 starting tomorrow.

Didn't that used to be their 24-gun safe before the most recent reshuffling of Winchester safe specs 2 or 3 years ago? Look at the outside dimensions and weight. 🤔

Still a pretty decent Chinese gun safe for the Black Friday sale price (IMHO). I might buy it if I needed one. [thumbsup]

Chexk Walmart, they have 40 inch tvs for 150 this week.

Didn't that used to be their 24-gun safe before the most recent reshuffling of Winchester safe specs 2 or 3 years ago? Look at the outside dimensions and weight. 🤔

Still a pretty decent Chinese gun safe for the Black Friday sale price (IMHO). I might buy it if I needed one. [thumbsup]

The outside dimensions are ever so slightly different but I think it's basically the same thing like you said. They were cheaper a few years ago than this "sale" price.

The outside dimensions are ever so slightly different but I think it's basically the same thing like you said. They were cheaper a few years ago than this "sale" price.
Found it! Same exact size... big weight difference (much lower now)... but now it's a 36-gun safe instead of a 24-gun safe. WTF?????? :oops:

Found it! Same exact size... big weight difference (much lower now)... but now it's a 36-gun safe instead of a 24-gun safe. WTF?????? :oops:

Wtf? Gun safes have vexed me for years. Unless you spend $5k they are evidently junk or so I’ve read. I need to figure out something soon because my current set up is less than ideal.

Just keep one thing in mind.

Burglars can get your safe out of your house exactly as easily as you got it in. They can carry it out to another place, and open it at their leisure. Your safe has to be “mounted” in such a way that someone has to work hard for hours to get it out of the building. Lag bolting it to a wooden stud wall is kind of a joke.

Unless you sink that safe in a concrete floor or wall, you’re not much safer than having a Chinese box.

The Chinese box is useful to keep kids or family members from having an accident.
Yeah, good luck.

Unless you leave everything needed right next to the safe and the burglar knew what you had.

If someone knows what you have it will take some serious cash to stop them.

Is it just me or does it seem that gun safe manufacturers use an algorithm very similar to toilet paper math for the amount of guns that they can hold?

View attachment 689156
It's the same a**h*** behind hotdog buns not being sold in quantities equal to that of typical hot dog packages.

You protect your real safe with a heavy decoy safe. Make thieves waste time cracking or carrying off the decoy.

It's the same a**h*** behind hotdog buns not being sold in quantities equal to that of typical hot dog packages.

You protect your real safe with a heavy decoy safe. Make thieves waste time cracking or carrying off the decoy.
Fill it with your scrap lead

The problem that a lot of us have is the same problem that I have. If they break into my house and then they decide they want to get into the safe they've only got a walk 10 or 20 ft over to my garage and unfortunately just about every tool they need to get into the safe is sitting there in my garage.

The door has pockets for multiple handguns and magazines. I pretty much cut their capacity in half when I was buying mine. $200 off is a good deal
Thanks for the info. I'm going to check them out in person on Friday and see if one 36 gun or two 20 gun safes would be better for me.

Wouldn't the best thing be to have a camera system that monitors the location in addition to the safe? That way, if someone does enter the area, you will at least be alerted to the situation. It cuts down on the amount of time that the people have to gain entry to the safe.

Wouldn't the best thing be to have a camera system that monitors the location in addition to the safe? That way, if someone does enter the area, you will at least be alerted to the situation. It cuts down on the amount of time that the people have to gain entry to the safe.

Most burglaries last under 10 minutes. That means even with an alarm system with motion detectors and/or cameras, you're in a race. I recently had to call 911 for a medical emergency. From the time I picked up the phone to the arrival of the first responder was 8 minutes. I doubt response to a reported break-in would be any faster, although a monitoring company might be able to cut through the 911 screening questions faster than I could.

I was the victim of a burglary a few years ago -- suffice it to say I switched my security setup afterwards. The perps were never caught, even though it's almost certain they were former employees of a cleaning service we used. I won't go into details here, but their choice of swag was, well, not choice. For example, they took a stack of $1 bills while ignoring the gold jewelry right above it. The largest loss was due to the police staining our bedroom carpet with fingerprint "dust."

4 General Tires for a customer pick up truck show up at the shop the other day, 2 made in China, 2 in Russia, and 2 of them had 2020 manufacturing dates on them.
Wait, that's 6.
;-)

So if you are suppose to change tires after 10 years then you have lost 20% of that before you even mount them.
1) Who has tires that last longer than maybe 3 years?
2) The spare on my 2008 Highlander is probably the original. It is actually on the car right now.

The problem that a lot of us have is the same problem that I have. If they break into my house and then they decide they want to get into the safe they've only got a walk 10 or 20 ft over to my garage and unfortunately just about every tool they need to get into the safe is sitting there in my garage.
Again ... are they breaking in because they know what you have or because some random crackhead saw the lights off and decided to break in?

It makes a difference, while the random person could try to open it, he/she doesn't know when you will be back.

If your worry are the 3 or 4 power tools that could be used, lock them up, or lock the batteries in your safe.

In my opinion, a nice camera in the room with the safe is a good and cheap alternative. Get a warning there is movement, call the PoPo.

Many here like to advertise they own guns like that will make a difference. I think it is a mistake. I won't even walk with a rifle case outside, I have one of those fake guitar cases, I throw my stuff in that so no one knows what I have.

Who has tires that last longer than maybe 3 years?
Go to a local cruise night and ask that question.

Many cars are not driven regularly and have tires that are 10 years old, or older.

I had a set of BF Goodrich Radial TA's that I recently replaced on my Camaro just because they were older than 10 years. They had maybe 10,000 miles on them.

Stupid waste of $$$$ right???

The tires on my 2007 Mustang are OEM, just over 12000 miles on them

The tires on my neighbors 2013 ZR-1 are original

If I bring the car to NH next summer I will put an inspection sticker on it and put 4 new sneakers on it

When I close up NH to go south for the winter I empty the garage of anything that could be used to force the kitchen door open, if they are going to do it they are going to have to do it without my help, and the tools that are left in the house are hidden just in case they find the safe and are going to try to get into it.

The weak point of my security is I need to put my cable drop in metal EMT, it doesn't matter how many cameras and stuff you have, if their ability to communicate gets taken out they are no good, but mine notify me if they go offline, you can't get to the service drop with out being on a camera for at least ten seconds and I am going to get that video, and the cameras record locally to a device that is not going to be easily found.

The local cops also check the house at least twice a day. plus other visitors Screenshot_20221123-104506.png fox.png kitty.jpg possum.jpg bunny.jpg Screenshot_20211111-071749.png coyote.jpeg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom