Harbor Freight Gun Safe?

Again ... are they breaking in because they know what you have or because some random crackhead saw the lights off and decided to break in?

It makes a difference, while the random person could try to open it, he/she doesn't know when you will be back.

In my case they are breaking in because of ... who knows? I will come right out and say I own no extremely valuable or highly desirable collectible firearms.

If your worry are the 3 or 4 power tools that could be used, lock them up, or lock the batteries in your safe.

If they get into my power tools and break into the safe then I have insurance. Sure it would suck but what can I do. My point simply was if you own an inexpensive safe, like I do, it does not take much in the line of power tools to open it and a large percentage of us have them close by.

In my opinion, a nice camera in the room with the safe is a good and cheap alternative. Get a warning there is movement, call the PoPo.

Many here like to advertise they own guns like that will make a difference. I think it is a mistake. I won't even walk with a rifle case outside, I have one of those fake guitar cases, I throw my stuff in that so no one knows what I have.

I agree on cameras. I recently invested in a bunch of cameras and one of them is pointing right at the gun safe.

Talking about insurance, I just got an Email to renew my policy. $150 for the year.

When it comes to consumer grade "Safes" the vast majority are security theater in my experience. If you want a safe that will actually resist skilled attack you need what is called a UL Listed Burglar Safe, and they have ratings like TL15 and TL30 that will tell you how long it can be expected to resist professional burglars. It's very expensive to actually put together a security system that will resist long periods of uninterrupted access by an attacker. Just a TL30 safe can cost tens of thousands of dollars, and of course cordless power tools are a significant factor in this. Like others have said, if you don't have anything that has sentimental value or is particularly rare or unique, I would say a good insurance policy is your best bet and likely the cheapest option.

Think of it this way---The CCP built gun safe from Harbor Freight will fail faster than others from there. The CCP will be effecting lefty liberal gun control on simply quieter terms. That is, except for your shouting, screaming, cursing, et, at what a POS it is.
For what it's worth, I remember a slick-looking, lightweight, aluminum floor jack I bought there once. I had the Bronco lifted and was putting a jack stand under the axle when the jack blew an o-ring, the piston retracted, and the jack collapsed----while I was under it.........
Don't buy the safe at Harbor Freight

Trusting your life to a harbor freight tool is your own damn fault.
Sorry. Not sorry.

Their stuff is cheap. Cheap has a place. That place is not anywhere I care about.

I was looking to purchase a safe and had checked out Harbor Freight and Tractor Supply. The Harbor Freight safe was kind of cheaply built but the price is low. I checked out the Tractor Supply safes they were better and a little nicer but a little more money and to have it dropped shipped to your curb was an additional $350.00. I would then have to move a almost 400 lbs. safe into my house myself same with the Harber Freight although not sure what curb shipping would be. If you are able to do your own store pickup that would save you some money. If this is what your budget is then any safe is better then no safe. I ended up going to Eastern Safe In West Springfiend MA and purchased a safe. I ended up spending three times what I had planned to, however I now have a safe made in the USA, a muche nicer better safe they will deliver and install the safe in my house and I now have a company I can rely on if something goes wrong. You might want to rethink the cheaper way to go.
I only wanted a safe to meet the states storage laws and to help organize my guns. Right now I have my hand guns in a small safe and they are stacked to close together. My rifles and shot guns are in the closet in locked case's or with locks on them. It's a pain to get at anything.

Last edited:
Does HF sell any safes for a single handgun, and if so, any worth looking at?
I believe they do, but for handguns I would just as easily go with the floor safe they have unless you're trying to hide this handgun somewhere out of view, like under the bed by the Playboy magazines.

ETA: You can tell that this is an older, cheaper safe given that the advertisement photos feature Ruger P series pistols.

I’ve been shopping for another safe. We’d have to move it up three flights of thin stairs, so something that’s around 10 ft3, has atleast one side under 18.5”, and weighs no more than 300 lbs. Prefer a mechanical lock.

Anyway, there are no US-made safes that meet that criteria. I’m a big proponent of Eastern Security, but I’m not sure there’s a lot of difference between their products and some of the cheaper options from box stores (e.g. BassPro). Here’s what I’ve looked at so far:

19766179-DEFE-4F3D-84CF-319FEA5485A6.jpeg
79040CA1-0AC4-41D6-A53A-521F0C59396B.jpeg
43939072-0118-46CC-9EED-90E126D4F4E7.jpeg

Leaning toward the 12g Browning, but off to Tractor Supply this week.

Many years ago me and friend went to a gun show in West Springfield worked a deal for two safes on display. Told the guy he could pack them at the back of the truck and gave him directions to our homes for when the show was over for delivery. Worked out for all of us.

It was a good deal. He didn't have to get too crazy wrapping up displays to bring them back and he moved two safes from his inventory early in the show. We asked him to close them up and put sold on them and he did.

If there is a show coming up go with cash and barter.

I believe they do, but for handguns I would just as easily go with the floor safe they have unless you're trying to hide this handgun somewhere out of view, like under the bed by the Playboy magazines.

ETA: You can tell that this is an older, cheaper safe given that the advertisement photos feature Ruger P series pistols.

I actually have an old version of this safe. I've had it for a good 10-12 years at this point. I've replaced the battery 2x and it still works perfectly fine.

Don't waste your money on a safe from a big box store. Don't waste your money on a safe from a big box store.

The safe in the photos appears to be a metal box with no fire protection. I'd say it's overpriced and you'd be better spending the money on a decent metal cabinet with a padlock. But.... If you want something that looks like a safe then buy it, if you want something that acts like a safe go to a safe store.
Tractor supply sells the Liberty line of safes in store and online.

OK back to the original topic

If you just want a box to put guns in that will deny unauthorized people from easily getting to them, then have at it.

If the home is broken into, and the folks that break in find it, and find any sort of tools in the house, given enough time they will either get into it, or find a way to carry it out.

As to fire ratings, it probably has none. But then again even the best homeowner grade safes are only good for a couple of hours tops.

the UL rating you want to see on any literature is UL 72 Class 125... that will give you the best hope of minimal damage

I have a good fire resistant lock box inside of my safe with important papers and such hoping if the house does go up, when they find the safe in the basement after it has fallen thru three floors to get there I will still have my car titles and such.

So now that we know a cheap safe is just for honest people, or to make it more trouble than it is worth for your local meth head who is looking for a quick in and out score for items they can sell or pawn, and that it is probably not going to save them from fire... we can get to moisture.

The big issue you are going to have is finding a safe with good enough sealing qualities that humid air is not going to get trapped in their and kill your guns. This is especially important if your safe is going to be in the basement.

More guns have been ruined by humidity in safes than theft or fire

Many years back our cheap skinflint Chief bought one to store some departmental firearms. It was located in a squad room more often than not open to the public wandering in because the maintenance staff were too lazy to enter the lock code and propped the door open. They are a joke and lightweight.

After many warning I got a handtruck from the maintenance staff and wheeled the safe out into another area and secured it. No one noticed for several hours. Finannly it was reloaced into a actual safe in a block room with a security lock.

The Stack On style aren't bad for apartments where weight is an issue and it's located on upper levels. But it's NOT a safe by any means.

Even if it's a safe not advertised as fireproof?
I would. Shitty safe locks can fail almost comically. It all depends what you need the safe for. Im more worried about kids getting in then a burglar with a angle grinder or a house fire.

I’ve been shopping for another safe. We’d have to move it up three flights of thin stairs, so something that’s around 10 ft3, has atleast one side under 18.5”, and weighs no more than 300 lbs. Prefer a mechanical lock.

Anyway, there are no US-made safes that meet that criteria. I’m a big proponent of Eastern Security, but I’m not sure there’s a lot of difference between their products and some of the cheaper options from box stores (e.g. BassPro). Here’s what I’ve looked at so far:

View attachment 733810
View attachment 733808
View attachment 733809

Leaning toward the 12g Browning, but off to Tractor Supply this week.
Interested in your findings and what you chose and why.

What's the consensus on those electronic locks? Not the Winchester, but any of them in general. I'm leery on those.

I’m onboard with this; but know that Eastern charges $250 to swap an electronic lock to a mechanical. Tough pill to swallow when your budget is $1k.
Are you seeing any mechanical combination lock safes in your searching? Roughly the same size, same price.

Back
Top Bottom