Harvard S.C January meeting

The BOD had elected to not hold a January meeting due to the New Years Day holiday. We will have one as scheduled in February. The Annual Meeting is also the 3rd Thursday in February.

If anyone is interested in running for a Executive Board position, Pres, VP., Secretary, Treasurer or 1 director seat please attend the Feb meeting to get your name on the ballot. Floor nominations are allowed at the annual meeting also.
Harvard is a great club today but its future will be brighter if we get more involvement from the 900+ members.
Rick

Just so folks know, there is a great group of guys running the club now who have a great deal of respect for all forms of shooting sports out there and will fight to protect the freedoms we Harvard members enjoy today.

Here is the ticket:
  • Paul Innamorati - President (incumbent)
  • Dave White - VP (incumbent)
  • Peter Tierney - Secretary (first time running)
  • Jeff Bradbury - Treasurer (incumbent)
  • Rick Johnson - BOD (incumbent)

The Annual Meeting is Feb 19th @ 7:00 PM and comes with a free supper (starts 5:30 PM).
I know some of you all are looking to join Harvard (JC, others) and The Feb 1st meeting (7PM also) would be a good time to come down and join, then come back on the 19th and vote for the above club officers to help keep Harvard the best club in NE.

The BOD had elected to not hold a January meeting due to the New Years Day holiday. We will have one as scheduled in February. The Annual Meeting is also the 3rd Thursday in February.

If anyone is interested in running for a Executive Board position, Pres, VP., Secretary, Treasurer or 1 director seat please attend the Feb meeting to get your name on the ballot. Floor nominations are allowed at the annual meeting also.
Harvard is a great club today but its future will be brighter if we get more involvement from the 900+ members.
Rick

just great, didn't go to the Wayland club meeting in Dec hoping to join HSC in Jan 09, now I have to wait another month to join the club [frown]

Guys (or Gals), it is worth the wait. You show on Thursday night, by Sunday you take the safety course and you are good to go when you get the security card in the mail.

I'm thinking of joining, because I'd like a club with a 300 yard rifle range. Right now, I can only guess at how good (or bad) I'd be if I had to shoot at 300 yards. I need to get real experience with this. I'd need to qualify for that, right? Is that hard to do if I have 0 experience shooting at 300?

I'm a member of Westford SC and I intend to continue being a member of it (it is closer). There's no reason I can't be a member of two.

How should I proceed? I don't have a sponsor lined up. Just show up at the meeting?

I'm thinking of joining, because I'd like a club with a 300 yard rifle range. Right now, I can only guess at how good (or bad) I'd be if I had to shoot at 300 yards. I need to get real experience with this. I'd need to qualify for that, right? Is that hard to do if I have 0 experience shooting at 300?

I'm a member of Westford SC and I intend to continue being a member of it (it is closer). There's no reason I can't be a member of two.

How should I proceed? I don't have a sponsor lined up. Just show up at the meeting?

The quals are not that tough. Although make sure you have your scope zero'd out...[sad2] I have to do it over [slap] because I zero'd and shot on two different days and something must be wrong with my scope because it didn't hold. Anyhow, 300 yards is 100 yards times 3. So if you do 2" groups at 100, you will do 6" groups at 300, all things being equal (which they never are but that is close). Yes, you can just show up and invariably Clarence will sponsor you. I may be going up to the Feb 1st meeting so PM me a few days in advance to let me know and would be happy to sponsor you too.

just great, didn't go to the Wayland club meeting in Dec hoping to join HSC in Jan 09, now I have to wait another month to join the club [frown]

Wayland club meetings are on the third Tuesday of the month. The next meeting is January 20th.

Harvard is an excellent club. I'm sure you'll like it. It has far more facilities than Wayland. But for some, we're a lot closer.

The quals are not that tough. Although make sure you have your scope zero'd out...

Well, since I haven't shot a gun at 300 yards yet, I don't have any zeroed at 300 yards. [laugh] I can do 25, 50 or 100 yard zero for them... will the quals take into account the bullet trajectory putting the bullet at a different place than I'm actually aiming for (preferably a predictable place, given knowledge of the ammo in use and the zero distance)? And can I use a front rest? What exactly are they checking for anyway? If I qualify with a scoped Savage 110 bolt action in .30-06 but then want to bring an AR15 or CZ 527, it is going to be less accurate than what I qualified at.

Well, since I haven't shot a gun at 300 yards yet, I don't have any zeroed at 300 yards. [laugh] I can do 25, 50 or 100 yard zero for them... will the quals take into account the bullet trajectory putting the bullet at a different place than I'm actually aiming for (preferably a predictable place, given knowledge of the ammo in use and the zero distance)? And can I use a front rest? What exactly are they checking for anyway? If I qualify with a scoped Savage 110 bolt action in .30-06 but then want to bring an AR15 or CZ 527, it is going to be less accurate than what I qualified at.

Zero at 100. Sorry I was not more specific there. They check you out @ 200, and are looking at your groups. Hence why I have to go back, we couldn't find my groups [slap], they were all low and right I later found out. I had a Rem 700 .270 with a bi-pod so front rest is likely fine. I will be bringing my scoped mini-14 as a backup just in case the next time. They don't care what you shoot afterwards so long as it is... I believe but don't quote me on this... centerfire rifle. Not sure if there is a minimum barrel length required.

Center fire rifle calibers only! You can shoot them in a pistol, [ Contender, etc.] but no pistol calibers in rifles, [ 357mag, 44mag, etc.] No rimfires!
Once you are qualified, you can shoot all legal calibers as long as they have been pre-zero'd at 100yds.

[rofl] No problem with no rimfire at 300 yards... I would never consider even trying that. I tried my 10/22 at 100 yards a couple of times... the hits were evenly scattered over an entire 8.5x11 target. (Which is not what I was expecting since the groups are within 1" at 25 yards. 25 x 4 should be 4" group but oh well.)

Is Harvard offering a discounted membership? I think they did that last year if you were to join at a certain time.

[rofl] No problem with no rimfire at 300 yards... I would never consider even trying that. I tried my 10/22 at 100 yards a couple of times... the hits were evenly scattered over an entire 8.5x11 target. (Which is not what I was expecting since the groups are within 1" at 25 yards. 25 x 4 should be 4" group but oh well.)

Hmm, you should have been able to get better than that. I've shot my old Winchester 72 with a peep sight at 100 yards over at Harvard and I can get about 3" groups.

BTW, I'd be happy to sponsor you also, Prepper.

harvard sportsmans club 300 yd qual.

The reason you must be sighted in at 100 yds first is so you're on the paper at 200 and not sending a bullet over the backstop. You can and should qualify from the bench. It not only allows you to shoot a better group but more importantly, it prevents you from flinching a round into the dirt and bouncing it over the backstop.

Hmm, you should have been able to get better than that. I've shot my old Winchester 72 with a peep sight at 100 yards over at Harvard and I can get about 3" groups.

BTW, I'd be happy to sponsor you also, Prepper.

Well it was windy.... maybe that had something to do with it. I can do much better with centerfires.

Thanks, I'll try to make sure I show up for the Feb meeting.

The reason you must be sighted in at 100 yds first is so you're on the paper at 200 and not sending a bullet over the backstop. You can and should qualify from the bench. It not only allows you to shoot a better group but more importantly, it prevents you from flinching a round into the dirt and bouncing it over the backstop.

That makes sense, but how small is the berm anyway? At WSC, the 100 yard berm is so huge compared to the size of the paper that it would seem rather difficult to miss the berm.

That makes sense, but how small is the berm anyway? At WSC, the 100 yard berm is so huge compared to the size of the paper that it would seem rather difficult to miss the berm.

In terms of feet, the berm is relatively large. But in terms of minutes of angle, it is not that large. WSC has an advantage in that the 200 yard range is facing a natural hill.

I'm planning on joining HSC in February. I have shot there a few times now and really like the facility. If any NES'rs want to meet up at the meeting, that would be great.

I'd like to join. As ar as a sponsor, I am not sure if I know any of the members. How do go about joining?
Rick Stockhaus<><

Show up on the first thursday of the month (Feb 5th) and tell someone you would like to join. They will take it from there, don't worry about the sponsor. The very next Sun morning is the safety briefing, then you get your stuff mailed to you a week or two later.
PS: PM me a few days before and let me know you are joining. I will likely be up there and can help you out when you are there.

Took my handgun safety course at HSC sat ( through Blue Northern ) am very interested in joining. Obviously as a new shooter my experience is limited to the safety course and a few times shooting a kid, is this a problem? I see member fees are $150 with a one time $150 fee with a possible $75 work credit. whats is this about? Any sponsors? DRB

joining HSC

You can work on any of the club projects for up to 4 hours and get $75.00 credit on your dues.Also, if you plan to attend the safety briefing on the Sunday following the monthly meeting, you can bring a rifle and qualify at the 200 yd range. This allows you to shoot at the 200 and 300 yd. ranges. You only need to qualify once with one rifle. After that ,you can shoot any rifle or handgun in a RIFLE caliber.No rimfire and no pistol caliber rifles such as the lever action rifles used in cowboy shooting. You also must be a member of the NRA. If you're a member bring proof and if you're not,you can join that night.Welcome to HSC Gerry.

You can work on any of the club projects for up to 4 hours and get $75.00 credit on your dues.Also, if you plan to attend the safety briefing on the Sunday following the monthly meeting, you can bring a rifle and qualify at the 200 yd range. This allows you to shoot at the 200 and 300 yd. ranges. You only need to qualify once with one rifle. After that ,you can shoot any rifle or handgun in a RIFLE caliber.No rimfire and no pistol caliber rifles such as the lever action rifles used in cowboy shooting. You also must be a member of the NRA. If you're a member bring proof and if you're not,you can join that night.Welcome to HSC Gerry.

You also have to fire a target at the 100 yd. range and bring it to the 200 yd. range to prove that the rifle is zero'd, and that you can hold a group.
You should contact Carl Adams, or Ted Duffy to make an appointment for qualification.

Back
Top Bottom