HARVARD SPORTSMEN'S CLUB MONTHLY MEETING

I joined the club last night as well. [grin]

You'll love it. It's the best civilian shooting range I've ever been to. Harvard has a excellent member base, great board of directors and excellent rules that make it a awesome place to shoot. Not a single FUDD to be seen!

You'll love it. It's the best civilian shooting range I've ever been to. Harvard has a excellent member base, great board of directors and excellent rules that make it a awesome place to shoot. Not a single FUDD to be seen!

Those are the reasons I joined Harvard. Plus, It gives me a new place to hunt. [grin]

As a relatively new member at HSC, I highly recommend going on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month, getting breakfast and then doing some shooting.

I cannot tell you all how lucky Massachusetts shooters are to have Harvard Sportsman's Club. It is simply unparalleled.

Since my move to Texas I have long-looked for a club even remotely similar to HSC. They do not exist. One would think that with the abundance of cheap land, lax gun laws, and thriving gun-culture, Texas would be home to dozens of ranges that rival or better HSC. Unbelievably, nothing even comes close.

A typical range trip in Texas is comprised of showing up when the range is open - sometimes a frustrating task on its own because many clubs do not have regular hours - , paying your $5-20 daily dues depending on the range and what you're shooting, and being scrutinized by so-called RSOs that let their friends get away with gross safety violations.

The facilities are hugely disappointing. Contrary to my preconceived notion of Texan gun range, there are not 600 yard ranges abound. There are not private ranges a-la HSC's half-dozen secluded shooting pits. There appear to be fewer opportunities for shooting sports outside of trap and skeet.

In all of Texas, I have found one range that seems even remotely comparable to HSC. Unfortunately, it's $300/year and two hours outside the DFW metroplex. Granted, with enough land, any Texan has his or her own firing line in their back yard. But backyard ranches generally don't lend themselves to meeting new shooters, trying out new toys, and shooting the bull with like-minded people.

It is my intent to hold on to my HSC membership for as long as I have any reason to visit Massachusetts, even if I won't be able to bring all my free-state toys with me.

Kalahari, from all the HSC members, thank you very much for the kind thoughts and words. We're all looking forward to seeing you back up this way. (The snow is almost all gone ... for now.)

And to all our new fellow members, Welcome!

SPONSORS NOW REQUIRED TO ATTEND WITH PROSPECTIVE MEMBERS

The Harvard Sportsmen’s Club membership has decided to move back toward the by-laws regarding new membership. Beginning with our next meeting on April 1, each Sponsor will be required to attend the meeting with their Prospective New Member and introduce them to the membership. This has been a requirement of the HSC by-laws for many, many years, but we had begun to drift away for awhile. The by-laws require Sponsors and club Officers to present only people that are personally known to be good folks who can contribute to the club.

Yes, this requirement makes it a bit more complicated to join HSC, but it also expands the opportunities for Prospective Members to meet people and become familiar with the club.

Many members of NES already know HSC members that would be willing to serve as their Sponsor. However, if you don’t already know a few HSC folks, we have many public events where people can meet members and learn more about the club. The HSC calendar lists several recurring events that are open to the public such as the following:
- Twice-monthly Breakfasts (first and third Sundays),
- Weekly IPSC practices (Wednesdays from 5:00 to 7:00)
- Twice-monthly IDPA practices (first and third Mondays, at 5:00 or 7:30)

The weekly Junior Smallbore Program is also a good place to meet folks and lend a hand to the Junior effort.

And of course, the NES forum has long been a focal point for shooters to exchange contact information and meet one another.

Finally, to all you current HSC members, please extend a hand to new folks that are interested in joining your club. Get to know them, make a friend, and bring them to a meeting.

IDPA practices are indeed happening now, first and third Mondays, 5:00 and 7:30. At the indoor range, not outdoors.

Actually the 5:00 IDPA practices are outdoors since we are now in DST. The 7:30 practices will continue to be indoor thru the summer. Like Dan said- 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month.

Actually the 5:00 IDPA practices are outdoors since we are now in DST. The 7:30 practices will continue to be indoor thru the summer. Like Dan said- 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month.

Good to know, maybe I can finally make one of these. I've got my club meeting on the 1st and an e-board meeting on the 3rd Monday of the month at 7:30 PM.

How does one get in to HSC's grounds for one of the IDPA practice sessions, a breakfast, etc. to meet members that are potential sponsors? HSC has a keycard controlled gate at the entrance as I recall. I assume the gate is open for these events that include non-members but would be nice to know for sure.

I also need a sponsor for joining HSC. 5pm practices aren't very compatible with my work schedule but I might be able to make a 7:30pm session. Can't make the breakfasts this month due to travel. I'd like to find a sponsor before the next monthly meeting. More than just a sponsor, it'd be great to meet one or more members that can provide some coaching to a fairly new shooter too.

How does one get in to HSC's grounds for one of the IDPA practice sessions, a breakfast, etc. to meet members that are potential sponsors? HSC has a keycard controlled gate at the entrance as I recall. I assume the gate is open for these events that include non-members but would be nice to know for sure.

I also need a sponsor for joining HSC. 5pm practices aren't very compatible with my work schedule but I might be able to make a 7:30pm session. Can't make the breakfasts this month due to travel. I'd like to find a sponsor before the next monthly meeting. More than just a sponsor, it'd be great to meet one or more members that can provide some coaching to a fairly new shooter too.

I'd be happy to meet you at the club, show you around, do a little shooting. Send me a PM and let me know what times are convenient for you. We'll set something up.

I'd be happy to meet you at the club, show you around, do a little shooting. Send me a PM and let me know what times are convenient for you. We'll set something up.

Thanks Dan! The tour and shooting were great and I owe you some ammo since you didn't get a chance to shoot mine after I shot yours. I am planning to attend the meeting tonight and join. Hope to see you there.

Any members willing to show a newb around? I've already seen Southborough & Hopkinton, and I hear Harvard is great. I just want to make sure I see a bunch of clubs near me before I commit.

I shoot every Saturday and Sunday morning. If you can't get there during the week,I'd be glad to show you around on the weekend.

Does anyone know if they are still doing qualifications on the 200/300 on the 3rd Sunday of the month? I showed up within the designated hours today but the person wasn't here.

Does anyone know if they are still doing qualifications on the 200/300 on the 3rd Sunday of the month? I showed up within the designated hours today but the person wasn't here.

Was that you hanging there waiting? I can't do the quals but usually the guy who does is there every weekend. He wasn't today though. Don't know why.

I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't connect with the qualifying crew. I'll check into it and make sure we're on target for next month. You can also contact Carl by e-mail and set up an appointment; he's pretty accommodating about days and times.

Well, second month in a row that there's been no qualifying committee member at the 200/300...

Seriously, its frustrating to clear your schedule to get this done, only to find no one available. That range was one of the biggest draws of HSC for me.

200/300 Committee members are very accommodating to your schedule if you contact them directly. I'll send a PM with their e-mail addresses, or you can go to the HSC forum, check under "General Member Information," and you will find a thread regarding 200/300 qualification along with contact information.

Hi All,
I am interested in becoming a member and was wondering if someone was willing to show me around (maybe before the next meeting)? I've heard and read great things about the club and even if I didn't live just down the road, I have been advised this is the place to go. I'm new to shooting and have never belonged to a club and I would appreciate someone showing me the ropes, etiquette, etc.
Thanks,
Matt

Back
Top Bottom